Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Current Status of the Graf Variation? (Read 29142 times)
BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Current Status of the Graf Variation?
Reply #19 - 11/12/13 at 09:04:30
Post Tools
Accolon wrote on 09/20/08 at 23:23:13:
The variation given by genghisclown where white sacs the knight before playing e5 is losing for black by the way. 31...Rb7 32.e5-dxe5 33.Raa6 +-. So black has to play Kg7 after Qh4 and accept the draw.

It's losing even before that. 28...Bxb2?? 29.e5! +-

IP Logged

Accolon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 09/20/08 at 23:23:13
Post Tools
The variation given by genghisclown where white sacs the knight before playing e5 is losing for black by the way. 31...Rb7 32.e5-dxe5 33.Raa6 +-. So black has to play Kg7 after Qh4 and accept the draw.

IP Logged

Accolon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 09/20/08 at 22:55:39
Post Tools
16...Bb7 seems to be a playable option but it leads to rather passive positions for black. I`m currently looking at the game Gashimov-Schandorf 2007. It went 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6
5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3 Na5 10.Bc2 c5 11.d4 Nd7 12.Nbd2 exd4 13.cxd4 Nc6 14 d5 Nce5 15 Nxe5 Nxe5 16 a4-Rb8 17.axb5-axb5 18.f4-Ng6 19.Nf3-Bh4 20.Rf1-Bg3 21.f5-Ne5
22.Ng5-Nd7 23.e5-Bxe5 24.Nxh7-Qh4 25Nxf8 with advantage for white. I wonder if black can defend with 24...Re8. Probably I`m missing something, but e.g. 25.f6-g6 26.Bg5-Rb7(!) 27.Bxg6-fxg6 28.f7+-Kxh7 29.Ra8-Rf8 30.Bxd8-Rxd8 and black is ok.
I`m really curious what GM Becerra-Rivero had prepared when he played 19...f5. I have no idea where an improvement for black can be found in that line where white plays Rf1 and later Be4.

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 09/20/08 at 18:27:33
Post Tools
I think that in the main line of the Graf Variation after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3 Na5 10.Bc2 c5 11.d4 Nd7 12.Nbd2 exd4 13.cxd4 Nc6 14 d5 Nce5 15 Nxe5 Nxe5 16 a4, 16...Bb7 is Black's best and safest choice. GM Tony Kosten covers the Graf Variation in his June 2008 update. He mentions 16...Bb7 "doesn't look right to me as White can just play the normal moves when the bishop can turn out to be misplaced" but doesn't give any analysis refuting it after 17 f4 Nd7 18. Nf3 Re8 19. Bd2 Bf6 20. Ra2 Topalov, V (2735)-Adams, M (2725)/Cap d'Agde 2003)

IP Logged

Accolon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 09/18/08 at 19:00:05
Post Tools
I found 2 GM games played at the Foxwoods Open march 2008. Ivanov-Friedel 1-0 (Friedel played Bd7 after a4) and Friedel-Becerra-Rivero 0-1. Becerra-Rivero doesn`t seem to be convinced by Khalifman`s analysis and keeps playing f5 even after a4 by white.
15.a4-Rb8 16.axb5-axb5 17.Nxe5-Nxe5 18.f4-Ng6 19.Nf3-f5
Food for thought.

IP Logged

Accolon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 09/18/08 at 13:42:56
Post Tools
So it seems that the game Gashimov-Schandorff put the Graf variation out of business. No games in 2008. At least none in the chesslive.de database. I understand why no one wants to play the position after 23.e5!-Bxe5 24.Nxh7, but there is also 15...Bb7 as once played by M.Adams. The position doesn`t look bad, so why did the Graf variation disappear completely?

IP Logged

CosaZeelandai
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 09/12/06 at 12:10:19
Post Tools
Last week I was browsing the internet and to my grief everyone was so negative on the Graf variation.

Anyway I spend a whole day analysing Renet's 'claim' of a refutation after which I shared my analysis with him. A week after this Renet reported he had been wrong (but is still looking for a refutation - yeah right!) yes he had been wrong (but I'm not a member here) so member who did mail Renet too congratulations with finding the same analysis as I did. Renet's Nxh7!? is stunning but a draw, which should not be any problem since white can force one after f6 Bxh3 anyway (although f6 g5!? is a scary alternative).

About that Khalifman link, I don't think skembris had a lot of problems and if only his idea of g6 can be refined somewhat black will be favorite with his structure. Black is still OK there too no refutation. As a matter of fact one IM2464 (Nxe5 Nxe5 Nf1?!) asked me to explain the theory to him after our game and a GM tried a4 (instead of d5 Nce5) both ended in easy draws.

I'd advise all to stay on the Graf variation and don't let GM's scare you with unsupported claims! Before I forget, here's an awnser to the Rowson idea of Nh2 g3... instead of davies's Nf6+h5 just play c4!N CosaZeelandai f4 Nc5 h4 Bxh4!?....

If you ask me the Graf is more alive than the Zaitsev Smiley

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #12 - 08/24/06 at 14:52:24
Post Tools
I agree with you Ghenghisclown, that the sacrifice is dangerous but a well prepared black player can face it and there is another possibility, to play 16...Bb7 insted of 16...Rb8 in the Anand-Ponomariov game and avoid the sacrifice. Davies talks about this, but it needs investigation outside Davies book in another sources or databases.
A Spanish book (Zaitzev) for black side is very good news!  Grin I think there is a gap in the market today for players of the black side of the Spanish in all main lines! Chigorin, Zaitzev, Breyer, Smyslov and Berlin too. I will be curious about this book to see what is the status of the variation because in the Anand book it was said that black fails to equalize in this system in contemporary chess practice. It was extremely popular during the WC matches between Kasparov and Karpov. Since then it is considered as very dangerous for Black and this was demonstrated in Anand-Adams in San Luis.  Undecided      

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Gearoid
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #11 - 08/21/06 at 15:43:39
Post Tools
This line is good for  whoever knows the analysis below 1800. AS a 1700 rated player I find that in most of my game I am on my own by move 10. I have given up looking to deep into positions as I find my oponents usually play something different
long before the end of any theory line

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #10 - 08/16/06 at 13:50:18
Post Tools
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Just saw that Gambit has a book coming out on handling the black side of the lopez, this one centered on the Zaitsev. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and it doesn't get cancelled. Shocked

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #9 - 08/16/06 at 01:18:30
Post Tools
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. Seems I have the Pono game in my Davies book, just got the move order mixed up...

The other thing is that Nxh7 is indeed a very tricky line. I believe anybody below 2000 (and above) will have severe problems meeting it. 1500-1700 players probably won't survive unless they're good at defending or know the analysis. This makes it a practically great weapon for rapid and blitz games and for must win situations. It also makes it an excellent time zapper, as I call it, because the opponent is likely to take an hour just for the 8 moves or so (maybe more) it takes to survive.

This could be like the Keres attack in the regular sicilian scheveningen move order. It's not a refutation, as black can survive, but would put the line out of business as a practical matter as it is too much of  pain to defend merely to reach approx. equality.

I don't know what Renet's analysis looks like, but I'll post my line and hope it doesn't violate the rules or something:

22. Ng5 Nd7! ( as played by Joel Banawa --look it up oin the databases 2300 High school player, nice Filipino kid I know) 23.Nxh7! Kxh7 24.f6 (only move) g6 25.Qd2 Nxf6 26.Qh6+ Kg8 27.Bg5 Be5 28.Qh4 [at this point a tacit draw offer can be made by Kg7 by black] Bxb2 29.Bxf6 Bd4+ 30.Kh1 Bxf6 31.Rxf6. Now Rb6 loses for black which gives you an idea how sharp this is. Rb7! is correct. The rook is need to defend along the seventh rank and stop an upcoming check along the g file.

Black survives but the attack is not over. If he could only exchange queens he passers on the queenside would tell. Black has winning chances but based on beating off the attack as White is going to sack again and try to break down g6, with mobilizing the rooks as well. In other words, throw the kicthen sink @ black's king.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #8 - 08/05/06 at 12:11:10
Post Tools
Quote:
Have you seen this:
http://www.berlinerschachverband.de/rezensionen/0506khalifman.html?&template =/template/drucker.tpl

Isn't this the refutation? (scroll down to the first board)

Yes, this is a refutation but only against ...f5 move. If you look carefully, on the same article appears the better move ...Bh4 played by Ponomariov against Damljanovic.

Quote:
I don't understand the 12. d5 comments, the line given on this site as a refutation--I spent the money on the book for nothing?--involves Anand v. Bruzon. But didn't Anand play d5 on the 14th (not 12th)move? Is this really a refutation? 
Actually, Davies mentions the plan adopted by Anand, saying that black's 22....Nd7 is correct, planning on Be5 and Nd7 to f6. 
G.M. Renet doesn't give any analysis on this (on the index page), but states that Nxh7 kills black. I was browsing this site, wondering if I should subscribe, but I'm skeptical...On the other hand, 22. ...h6 loses on the spot and all the games I could find with Bh4 from black is losing for him. None of them saw Nd7 from black on the 22nd move, though. I couldn't find anything after Kxh7 that looks convincing...O.K. so don't spill the beans on Renet's analysis, but is it convincing after Nxh7? I'd like to know...It looks like after Kxh7 by black, 24.f6 Nxf6 25.Rxf6 black plays Be5 (Qxf6 loses to the discovered I guess). I just don't see it.

Davies analysis isn't refuted because he didn't give any in his book, he only gave 22. ...Nd7 with Be5 and Nf6 coming up, no further info apparently needed. He also said there needed to be further tests. You know, the traditional fallback...

Look at Olivier Renet e4-e5 this month because it seems there was an error on the analysis. I myself looked with Fritz and do not found any conclusive attack for White and Renet says that Black can beat the attack but Renet still think that White position is better.
Overall, I think we need to read Davies book and his sugestions very carefully because of his choices of variations and sometimes, his choices inside variations. My preference goes for the Kaufman or Emms book and I highly expect to see the forthcoming book by Marin- Beating the Open games and for studying the Spanish opening- Glenn Flear book on all the main lines or the second volume of Anand book.

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #7 - 07/19/06 at 21:26:43
Post Tools
Have you seen this:
http://www.berlinerschachverband.de/rezensionen/0506khalifman.html?&template=/te...

Isn't this the refutation? (scroll down to the first board)

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #6 - 07/19/06 at 21:17:42
Post Tools
It looks like I will have to play, as suggested here by Paddy, cxd4 - the orginal Keres version. Mamedyarov and Romanishin seem to be doing well with it, although Davies mentions only in passing. That is, of course, based on the probability of an internationally strong player being right about a line being refuted...

I don't like the Breyer. It's easy to get smothered and it seems to be always under a cloud. I've played the Berlin successfully, but some people have commented here that even that's in trouble. The best thing is to find something that GMs don't face. That skips any theoritical problems.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #5 - 07/19/06 at 15:36:03
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 07/19/06 at 14:53:19:
I spent the money on the book for nothing?

Maybe the Breyer variation would have been a safer bet  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo