Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Advertisements for other sites/forums (Read 113774 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Advertisements for other sites/forums
Reply #28 - 03/09/09 at 00:23:25
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 03/08/09 at 07:08:21:
Posting a list of articles for research in a hopefully democratic internet forum is not a hidden advertisment for a chess product.

No this is certainly not a democratic forum, it is run by ChessPublishing.com, mostly for the benefit of our subscribers, and we are naturally not too keen on advertising our rivals' products! Roll Eyes
That said we have very good relations with NIC, and so the post can stand. Maybe they will do the same for us some day?! Wink

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #27 - 03/08/09 at 07:08:21
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 03/07/09 at 12:24:40:
Matemax - do you work for New in Chess? Angry

Short answer: no - I am only a customer there

Posting a list of articles for research in a hopefully democratic internet forum is not a hidden advertisment for a chess product.

IP Logged

kin
YaBB Newbies

love chess too

Reply #26 - 09/12/08 at 10:21:30
Post Tools
i'll do it Smiley

&&King & Queen

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #25 - 08/08/08 at 08:24:54
Post Tools
That article was so old that I'd forgotten I'd written it! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #24 - 07/23/08 at 03:01:48
Post Tools
A little advertisement for this article

http://www.chesscafe.com/fromarchive/fromarchive.htm

on another site probably will not hurt. Good, GM Kosten, you did not make that joke. Even better you improve it in the last line of your article!

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #23 - 03/17/08 at 23:29:59
Post Tools
flaviddude wrote on 03/07/08 at 02:09:53:
Personally I think that you should restrict posting on the forum to members.

furthermore why should non members be able to read the forum.

It has been restricted to members-only posting for a long time now, and I think that this clearly works. I don't know about stopping non-members from reading the posts, what would be the advantages of this?

IP Logged

flaviddude

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #22 - 03/07/08 at 02:09:53
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 05/23/06 at 15:46:22:
Thanks, I seem to spend half of my day deleting spam on this site at the moment! I think I may have to take the Members-only posting route very soon! Cry

This is not the only chess forum which runs into spammers and cyber trolls. Personally I think that you should restrict posting on the forum to members.

furthermore why should non members be able to read the forum.

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #21 - 01/31/08 at 21:10:02
Post Tools
Bruneau Michel wrote on 01/31/08 at 14:27:10:
I would be very please if I was allowed to express such ideas with you and other members of the CHESS PUBLISHING Community... Is it possible without risking to see my message deleted?[/b] Cry

Another webmaster, Michael Goeller, manages to post with some frequency without ever mentioning his website, so why not you?
Btw, I clearly prefer chesspub. If you want to know why I will send you a PM.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #20 - 01/31/08 at 20:31:14
Post Tools
Yes, if I think you are advertising your site I will probably delete it, sorry! Already I don't really see why it is necessary to say you're Michel the "..."! Angry
Almost every other member manages to discuss theory without gratuitously referring to their own sites, it is easy enough to advertise on Google, etc! Shocked

IP Logged

Bruneau Michel
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 01/31/08 at 14:27:10
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 05/22/06 at 00:07:34:
Would anyone who wishes to advertise content on another site or Forum please have the courtesy to ask me first, otherwise your missive risks being deleted! Cry

Hi!

It's, I believe,  my fifth message on this fine forum...

I am mainly interested  by Chess, Chess Theory, Chess Analysis, Chess Practice, Chess & Art and finally Chess & Philosophy... All what I know, all what I am able to express today is on my website and I would be very please if I was allowed to express such ideas with you and other members of the CHESS PUBLISHING Community... Is it possible without risking to see my message deleted?
Cry

Michel the "Chess-Theory" Webmaster

IP Logged

superdanch
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 03/28/07 at 03:08:50
Post Tools
Sent you a PM.  Or will send you a PM.

Daniel

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #17 - 07/19/06 at 18:45:44
Post Tools
Greetings,

Frendo
I understand - but there is one major difference.

You, and many others here, have a history of contributing to the site in terms of quantity and quality of your posts.

A spam-bot does not.

The fact that an off-site url is included in a post by a respected member would mitigate against the need for holding up the post. Even so, the "hold up" shouldn't be that noticeably longer than normal when posting - the automated cross-check shouldn't take too long.

However, this really only applies to those who have no history on the site.

It has been mentioned that only when someone has made a minimum number of posts that they're allowed greater freedoms on the site...

I know of at least one site where, not only do you have to post at least 60 posts - but that the mere quantity is not sufficient to gain these extra freedoms. Quality of posting is also assessed and if deemed below par, the poster will have to continue contributing until the top staff grant the extra privileges.

Certainly, using a Captcha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha) will help prevent spam-bots signing-up - this in conjunction with account validation (one week to validate, else the account is erased) would defeat most bots.

From what I've read, YaBB uses Perl (MyPerl?) - the above linked article itself includes a link to a Perl script to incorporate a Captcha.

Even with this strategy, the more detemined spammers may still begin to get past this precaution.

Kindest regards,

James

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #16 - 07/19/06 at 04:43:50
Post Tools
Sounds reasonable but I and many others often mention other useful free chess related (and other useful sites) sites (such as book reviews, "The Chess Mind", etc...) and I'd hate to see those posts held up.

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #15 - 07/18/06 at 23:13:59
Post Tools
Greetings,

GMTonyKosten wrote on 05/23/06 at 15:46:22:
Thanks, I seem to spend half of my day deleting spam on this site at the moment! I think I may have to take the Members-only posting route very soon! Cry

Tony, although I'm unfamiliar with YaBB, there are a number of ways to help prevent spam.

Consider...

1) Most spammers are "one-hit posters" - single post, new IP address;
2) Their "post" normally includes a off-site link;
3) Major spammers and other abusers are on "known-spammer" list(s).

Given the above, a simple anti-spam strategy would be:

1) Any poster who includes a link to an off-site domain - NOT "www.chesspublishing.com" - would alert yourself and all site mods/admins;
2) New posters should have their IP address/domain immediately checked against known-spammer and other abuser lists - especially if their post includes a link as in 1);

In fact, in 1) above, the post could be held up (not posted) until the included link has been cross-checked against known spammer/malware/etc lists.

If it proves to be spam, etc, then it could be dumped without it ever appearing on the forum and you could ban the attempted poster (IP/email).  Wink

Kindest regards,

James

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #14 - 06/04/06 at 16:33:22
Post Tools
No cause for worries!  Cox, Palliser & Semkov are still around & posting. Cheesy

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo