Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Good Endgame Book for 1400-1500 player? (Read 14673 times)
LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Good Endgame Book for 1400-1500 player?
Reply #15 - 12/06/06 at 15:12:49
Post Tools
Chess Endings, Essential Knowledge by Averbach is a great starter. 

IP Logged

MarinFan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 12/06/06 at 13:46:45
Post Tools
Hello,

Basic Endgames by Balashov, or similarly but more cheaper Practical Endgames by Keres cover what you want. These are very dry though. A very good book to learn from is Mednis Practical chess endgames, which cover endgames which occured in '74 WC match, and other simpler "real" endgames.

Bye John S

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #13 - 12/03/06 at 22:38:32
Post Tools
Quote:
It's even older than Tony Kosten's effort but it's twice as good !

Twice as good?! Surely there must be some mistake?! Cry

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 12/03/06 at 21:08:59
Post Tools
I'd thoroughly recommend Leonard Barden's How to play the Endgame in Chess. It's very different to any other endgame book I've seen. Quite practical !

It's even older than Tony Kosten's effort but it's twice as good !

With all of the recommendations, one word of warning you might find the books that focus on 'technical' knowledge a little bit too dry but if you perservere you will be rewarded.

Andrew

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #11 - 12/02/06 at 12:35:33
Post Tools
Noddy wrote on 12/01/06 at 17:29:16:
I would like to suggest Alburt & Krogius's 'Just the Facts.' This work won book of the year over here in the USA. I found 'Just the Facts' better then Seirawan's work. It is a very good book that covers all  points of the endgame.

Two other fantastic works that should be required reading are Shereshevsky's 'Endgame Strategy' & Howell's 'Essential Chess Endings for the tournament player.'    

Howell's book is the one I always pack when I go away to tournaments.
Just the Facts is wordy and has lots of diagrams, so I found it ideal plane/train material as I could read it without a set.
I've seen lots of good reviews of Shereshevsky's book, and it's high on my 'next to read' list.

Recently I watched all of Karsten Muellers endgame DVDs which I found very informative. The first one is meant to be aimed at beginners, but it, and the other two go into some very advanced ideas.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 12/02/06 at 02:57:02
Post Tools
Hello Dinomike:

I have an old Silman book "Essential Chess Endings Explained Move by Move" (publisher = Chess Digest). Lots of explanations and diagrams.

IIRC the author said that Chess Digest came out with a second book but he wanted to emphasize he had nothing to do with that one.

Take care,

Gerry

Antillian wrote on 12/01/06 at 21:41:47:
Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner To Master  is supposed to be out in Jan or soon after.

At 532 pages, it is packed. But if it is any near as instructive as How To Reasses your Chess, it should be quite digestable to lower rated players.  The "pre-veiws" seem pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890085103/ref=wl_it_dp/104-6494549-1195921?ie=...

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #9 - 12/01/06 at 21:41:47
Post Tools
Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner To Master  is supposed to be out in Jan or soon after.

At 532 pages, it is packed. But if it is any near as instructive as How To Reasses your Chess, it should be quite digestable to lower rated players.  The "pre-veiws" seem pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890085103/ref=wl_it_dp/104-6494549-1195921?ie=...

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Noddy
YaBB Newbies

Maximum Vonage

Reply #8 - 12/01/06 at 17:29:16
Post Tools
The only beef I have with Seirawan's 'Winning Chess Endings' is he skips over some asic stuff...like the opposition for example. While this of itself is no big deal it did cause some confusion for me when I was starting out. I would like to suggest Alburt & Krogius's 'Just the Facts.' This work won book of the year over here in the USA. I found 'Just the Facts' better then Seirawan's work. It is a very good book that covers all  points of the endgame.

Two other fantastic works that should be required reading are Shereshevsky's 'Endgame Strategy' & Howell's 'Essential Chess Endings for the tournament player.'

IP Logged

guidedbyvoices

Reply #7 - 05/26/06 at 11:48:51
Post Tools
alumbrado wrote on 05/26/06 at 10:54:07:
Personally, I would wholeheartedly recommend James Howell's Essential Chess Endings.

Seconded, Howells book is excellent for the club player.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #6 - 05/26/06 at 10:54:07
Post Tools
Personally, I would wholeheartedly recommend James Howell's Essential Chess Endings.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #5 - 05/26/06 at 10:42:07
Post Tools
I started endgames with Averbakh's "what every chessplayer should know about the endgame"  or somesuch title (I have it in dutch). Dont know if it is still available, but it is a very basic book on endgames, going from mating with the queen to rook endgames. I would think it is excellent for players from about 1400 to 1650 with little experience in endgames.

Otherwise Flear has some good books on the endgame. Iirc he has a "starting out", "improving" and "mastering" book which all follow the same format. I only have the 2 latter ones, but I think the first one may fit your bill.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #4 - 05/25/06 at 14:22:27
Post Tools
"Winning Chess Endings" sounds a lot like "Winning Endgames" written by, er, let me see now, ... ah yes, Tony Kosten in 1987! Winner of the BCF Junior book of the year in 1832.  Huh
Very difficult to get hold of a copy now I imagine - probably no great loss!

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #3 - 05/25/06 at 11:56:02
Post Tools
There are lots of good endgame books out there but I would strongly recommend that you don`t go for the big, advanced ones like Dvoretsky`s, Muller`s or Fine`s.

Go for Yasser Seirawans "Winning Chess Endings". That book should give you a very good start and might be enough in itself. The book is well written and if you understand everything there you will do well. I still have a look at it now and then to refresh my knowledge, and I am a relatively strong player. If you finish that book and want to continue your studies, you will be competent enough to know where to go next.

Good luck  

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

Skaro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/25/06 at 11:27:22
Post Tools
May I recommend Irving Chernev's "Capablanca's Best Chess Endings" published by Dover.

Ok, I know it is old and that there might be better books on the market and that Chernev perhaps looks at Capablanca through rose coloured analysis at times.

However, I feel that by carefully going through the 60 games therein and attempting to understand Capablanca's endgame genius ) most especially where he knows when to break "established rules") you are sure to improve in your own endgame.

"Good Endgame Book for 1400-1500 player?"

No.  

Shocked

A good book for anyone who believes that they can go above 2000.

Wink

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #1 - 05/25/06 at 07:33:26
Post Tools
Soltis: "Grandmaster Secrets: Endings"

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo