Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Good Endgame Book for 1400-1500 player? (Read 14616 times)
marc0
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Good Endgame Book for 1400-1500 player?
Reply #30 - 11/22/20 at 09:18:49
Post Tools
Dear Sir, I suggest you "The game of chess" by Siegbert Tarrasch.
Kind Regards.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #29 - 10/26/20 at 16:40:59
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 10/24/20 at 04:29:52:
Paddy wrote on 10/23/20 at 23:15:45:
One of the best ways to learn how to play a particular ending is after it has arisen in one of your games, when it's best to analyse it yourself first, then with an engine, then look up that type of ending in a good reference book, such as Fundamental Chess Endings or Dvoretsky's Manual.

Then analyse it again with the strongest player you can convince to take an interest.

A prerequisite for Paddy's method is to stop agreeing draws in "nearly" equal positions.

Indeed! Good advice. Even though situations can arise where a draw in such a position might be appropriate for competitive reasons, for improvement's sake it's always best to play endings out.

I could also have mentioned de la Villa's book, which I know some of my students have found very useful, if hard going at times.

BTW How to Play Chess Endings by Mueller & Payeken is in fact called How to Play Chess Endgames.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #28 - 10/24/20 at 04:29:52
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 10/23/20 at 23:15:45:
One of the best ways to learn how to play a particular ending is after it has arisen in one of your games, when it's best to analyse it yourself first, then with an engine, then look up that type of ending in a good reference book, such as Fundamental Chess Endings or Dvoretsky's Manual.

Then analyse it again with the strongest player you can convince to take an interest.

A prerequisite for Paddy's method is to stop agreeing draws in "nearly" equal positions.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #27 - 10/23/20 at 23:15:45
Post Tools
For the basic precise positions, that need to be known by heart:
over the years many of my students have learned the basics very quickly and easily from this little gem of a book, already mentioned in the thread:
https://www.amazon.com/End-Games-Chess-Theo-Schuster/dp/0718823265
That's an easy read that will give you a head start down a path that never ends. (The James Howell book is also very good, but bigger and harder to digest.)

Later, for more general endgame strategy, judgement and technique:
How to play the endgame in chess, by Barden, again as mentioned earlier - great if you can find a copy and don't mind descriptive notation. Otherwise, Endgame Strategy by Shereshevsky or How to Play Chess Endings by Mueller & Payeken - great, but maybe not such an easy read as Barden.

But as a player gets stronger and plays more endings it's also useful to have a more thorough book of precise positions and examples of all types of endings, primarily for reference. One of the best ways to learn how to play a particular ending is after it has arisen in one of your games, when it's best to analyse it yourself first, then with an engine, then look up that type of ending in a good reference book, such as Fundamental Chess Endings or Dvoretsky's Manual.

The above constitutes an itinerary; but none of us ever reach the destination of true endgame mastery!

PS Someone wrote something like: "The best endgame book is... the one you actually read! Most players have several such books gathering dust on their shelves."

IP Logged

cathexis

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #26 - 10/23/20 at 22:14:29
Post Tools
@Tony Kosten,

Yeah, older then you no way. Especially since you've been writing since 1634! See here:

https://www.amazon.com/Ideas-Nimzo-Indian-Defence-Kosten-1994-02-05/dp/B01K968Z3...

Must be pretty spry there, young man!
Andrew

IP Logged

Sandman

Reply #25 - 10/17/20 at 11:21:25
Post Tools
That’s good information.  Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys I appreciate it.   Smiley

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy.
That's how far the world is from where I am.
Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #24 - 10/17/20 at 11:12:42
Post Tools
Dinomike100 wrote on 05/25/06 at 07:24:31:
I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an endgame book for a player of 1400-1500 strength.  I'm mostly looking for:

a.  King and pawn endgames.
b.  General techniques for rook endgames.
c.  Practice with king opposition (you would be surprised, but I actually won a game against a 1600 player where they could have had a draw if they maintained opposition).
d.  Advice on how to use knights and bishops in various endgame positions.
e.  Advice on knowing when and what to trade off.
f.  Any useful "miscellaneous" endgame tricks.

I don't care very much for K + B + B vs K or K + B + N vs K because I've had that come up once out of approximately 1,000 games.  

I don't see one book for a-f on your level. There has been good advice here and adding something to the list would be all right from looking at the quality, but too much choice is making things more difficult. There is a good advice in the first post of Tony Kosten. Look at books for young players. They are often more digestible written.

For d-f
- Johan Hellsten 544 Seiten, kartoniert, Everyman, 1. Auflage 2013
Mastering Endgame Strategy
-  Eduardas Rozentalis 165 Seiten, kartoniert, Thinkers Publishing, 2. Auflage 2018
The Correct Exchange in the Endgame
-  Joel Benjamin 304 Seiten, kartoniert, New in Chess, 3. Auflage 2019
Liquidation on the chess board (ext. 2019-ed.)

They might be interesting if you have worked through the basic stuff. Take this as a note for later.  Wink

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #23 - 10/17/20 at 09:00:54
Post Tools
The first I remember reading was End Games in Chess by Theo Schuster. I can second recommendations for Averbakh's Chess Endings: Essential Knowledge and Essential Chess Endings by James Howell.
One one that really got through though was Silman's Complete Endgame Course.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #22 - 10/17/20 at 02:43:42
Post Tools
Just the Facts by Lev Alburt and Nikolai Krogius. Fantastic book for club players.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #21 - 10/16/20 at 20:27:19
Post Tools
Averbakh (1993) Chess Endings: Essential Knowledge, 3rd ed., Everyman, 116 pages.
Howell (2003) Essential Chess Endings: The Tournament Player's Guide, Batsford, 160 pages.
De la Villa (2016) 100 Endgames You Must Know: Vital Lessons for Every Chess Player, 5th ed., New in Chess, 256 pages.

Sandman wrote on 10/16/20 at 17:03:26:
Which of the three would you suggest as the best book to get first?

Is the intention to read all three? I'm not sure that's the best use of time; although I have read two of them (so far), and LeeRoth has read all three!

If the intention is to read just one (for now, say), you still need to narrow down your criteria. One might choose Averbakh because it is shortest, De la Villa because it is longest, or Howell because it is just right.
Edited:
I'm partial to Averbakh.

After one (or more) of these, I think the next steps are possibly pawn endings and certainly rook endings.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #20 - 10/16/20 at 18:49:24
Post Tools
All three of those are great, but if we are still talking about a 1400-1500 player, I would start with Averbach.  It’s easier than the other two.  In order of difficulty, I’d say:

1. Averbach
2. de la Villa
3. Howell

YMMV.

IP Logged

Sandman

Reply #19 - 10/16/20 at 17:03:26
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 12/06/06 at 15:12:49:
Chess Endings, Essential Knowledge by Averbach is a great starter.  

I’ve seen this along with James Howell's Essential Chess Endings and de la Villa’s 100 Endgames you Must Know recommended time and time again. Which of the three would you suggest as the best book to get first? How would you rank these in order?

Thanks
Sandman

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy.
That's how far the world is from where I am.
Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

jarih
YaBB Newbies

Reply #18 - 12/17/06 at 12:07:04
Post Tools
Purdy's On the Endgame

IP Logged

Voprak
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
!

Reply #17 - 12/07/06 at 23:35:38
Post Tools
I would highly suggest for you "Essential endings explained move by move". Volume I is by Silman...Vol II is by Ken Smith.  They are fantastic for starting out...there are enough diagrams so that much of the material can be played through without a board, making it possible to do anywhere.  I gurantee you will gain much understanding of tactical nuances in endings.  As a second suggestion "Endgame Challenge" by Hall (I think) is a nice way to test yourself.  Finally "Rate your Endgame" by Mednis mentioned earlier in other posts is indeed another good book.  It has a solitaire chess approach (you try and guess the move) and is very good at explaining the ideas behind the endings presented.  The format kind of takes the boredom out of it if you don't like studying endings.

I think all of these recommendations are good for a player of your level as they don't assume alot of prior knowledge...for example Lucena/Philidor position and provide excellent explanations.

Good Luck

IP Logged

MarinFan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 12/07/06 at 13:17:49
Post Tools
Hello,

Just wanted to mention that Practical Endgames and Rate your endgame by Mednis are basically the same book. Except that the last one, mentioned by Eric the Red in another thread, probably uses the device of getting readers to guess the move, and gives points for the answers.

Bye John S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo