Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Caro Advance: 4 Nc3 a6 (Read 71161 times)
Willempie
YaBB Moderator

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Caro Advance: 4 Nc3 a6
Reply #5 - 06/27/06 at 08:10:44
Post Tools
HgMan

Currently at work, but tomorrow I will have time to look into it much deeper, so maybe it is an idea to set up a game starting with the moves 1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 e5 Bf5 4 Nc3 a6?
So if you're willing to wait a day we could start tomorrow:)

I do remember that my main problem I had with a6 is that when white goes kingside the move a6 is less usefull then Qb6 in putting the pressure on d4. I have played one game as white with this opening (rapid) in which I went into it with 5 g4 (better than against Qb6, though unsure if it is good) and 6 f4 followed by major offenses on the kingside.

PS if I happen to lose in rather emberassing fashion, dont be too surprised if the entire thread all of a sudden is gone Wink

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #4 - 06/25/06 at 13:11:02
Post Tools
I'll be interested to learn what turned you off 4 ... a6.  4 ... Qb6 is, obviously, a fine move, but many years ago I acquired a habit of developing my queen early like this (in a variety of openings, not the Caro), and then found she was on the wrong side of the board to contribute to defending my king.  So I suppose I'm just a little wary of it.  What I find interesting about the Caro-Kann is that it is so solid that Black can afford to make waiting moves like 4... a6, which makes sure that White can't drop a piece onto b5, and not suffer too much from being behind in development...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Willempie
YaBB Moderator

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 06/24/06 at 13:34:58
Post Tools
When I play the CK I play the 4..Qb6 line with similar ideas, but remember that I didnt like the looks of 4..a6. So I have to look it up a bit to see why I didnt like it.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Reply #2 - 06/23/06 at 22:18:05
Post Tools
Thanks for the reply.  I think 5 g4 might be premature (I believe the "rule" is only after Black has played e7-e6 and closed off the retreat in that direction), but can't say for sure whether it's bad in practice.  Any takers?  The more the merrier...

IP Logged

OstapBender
God Member

There is no spoon.

Reply #1 - 06/23/06 at 15:17:09
Post Tools
I don't play the Advanced against the Caro and haven't looked at this enough to form a definite opinion/preference, but here are few possible options for White:

5.Be3 e6 (5...Qb6 6.Bd3 is interesting when Black should probably not grab the poisoned pawn; 5...Qc7 6.Bd3 Bxd3 and both 7.Qxd3 and 7.cxd3 are possible) 6.g4 Bg6 7.Nge2 was the start of Nataf-Karpov, Cannes 2002 (which went well for Black).

Other fifth moves for White:

5.Bd3 (or maybe 5.h4 h5 6.Bd3)

5.g4 Bd7 (5...Bg6 6.e6!?) 6.Bd3

I'm not sure if this is the kind of response your looking for; haven't looked at the BDG discussion games you refer to.

I applaud your efforts to resurrect the 'dead board' (http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1144463413/26#26); hope I can help.

"If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates."  -Jay Leno

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Caro Advance: 4 Nc3 a6
06/23/06 at 13:45:17
Post Tools
Dear all,

I noticed in Joe Gallagher's Starting Out: The Caro-Kann that Gallagher referred to this line:

1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 e5 Bf5 4 Nc3 a6

stating: "this could be a line for the future."  In the Chesspublishing Caro ebook,Andy Martin refers to it as a "high class waiting move."  But few games have employed 4 ... a6.  I would like to propose that we start a discussion/analysis game in this line to evaluate the pros and cons of this line.  I am willing to defend the honor of the Black side here if someone would like to look for White's best route.  I don't consider this a challenge or a competition, but rather I want to draw from the success of the BDG discussion games played last year as a model.  Can we get under the skin of this "line for the future"?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo