Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Books that cover QGD vs. English? (Read 5234 times)
alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Re: Books that cover QGD vs. English?
Reply #7 - 07/28/06 at 09:10:01
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 07/27/06 at 16:05:15:
It's a bit of a paradox that, while it's pretty clear that these ways of playing must be fine for Black, it might be hard to find a book that "argues Black's side" of them.  (I can readily think of books, e.g. by Davies and Soltis, that advocate [at least some of] the foregoing lines for White.)  At the risk of maybe stating the obvious, a sensible approach would be to explore the relevant lines in ECO/NCO/MCO, and use a database (e.g. Chessbase or NIC-base online) in order to look at the cited games in their entirety.       

Although Davies's Dynamic Reti is first and foremost a repertoire book for White, it is quite balanced in its assessments and he does give a sense of what he considers to be Black's best tries.

Incidentally, I have started a thread (Reti Pawngrab) on the line 1.Nf3 d5 2.c4 e6 3.g3 dxc4 4.Bg2 Nf6 5.Qc2 Qd5!? but it hasn't attracted much interest so far Embarrassed

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 07/27/06 at 16:05:15
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 07/27/06 at 14:35:32:
smrex13 wrote on 07/27/06 at 02:48:13:
Sorry I wasn't clear in the original post.  I was referring to a set up with pawns on e6 and d5, Nf6, etc. against 1.c4 when White refrains from an early d4.  One of the appeals of this "QGD" set up is that it can be used against the English/Reti, but I imagine there must be some subtleties when White avoids d4.

Thanks,
Scott  

It has been a long time, since I looked at this, but what I remember is 1.c4 e6 2.Nf3 d5 3.b3 Nf6 4.g3 Be7 5.Bg2 o-o 6.o-o c5 7.Bb2 Nc6 8.d3 b6 and 9....Bb7 being very solid. I assume that there is some book on the Reti (the Neo-Catalan is a variation of this opening) containing this stuff.

Instead of 8. d3 it seems more normal to play moves like e3, Qe2 and Nc3 (aiming to sometimes play d4 in one go).  White could later aim to play against hanging pawns or an isolated pawn, starting with cxd5 plus the aforementioned d4.  Black often plays ...dxc4, which can result in White taking on hanging pawns after a later d4.  (I think after ...dxc4 bxc4 it could also happen that White adopts a "crouching" posture in the centre with d3, aiming to follow up with something like Ne1, f4, g4 and g5.)

White can also avoid the immediate/early b3 (I suppose that's the "Neo-Catalan").  Then Black might well play ...dxc4 on one of the next few moves.  If he doesn't, it could transpose to a Tarrasch, Semi-Tarrasch or of course a Catalan or Reti (e.g. of the type discussed above).

It's a bit of a paradox that, while it's pretty clear that these ways of playing must be fine for Black, it might be hard to find a book that "argues Black's side" of them.  (I can readily think of books, e.g. by Davies and Soltis, that advocate [at least some of] the foregoing lines for White.)  At the risk of maybe stating the obvious, a sensible approach would be to explore the relevant lines in ECO/NCO/MCO, and use a database (e.g. Chessbase or NIC-base online) in order to look at the cited games in their entirety.      

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 07/27/06 at 14:35:32
Post Tools
smrex13 wrote on 07/27/06 at 02:48:13:
Sorry I wasn't clear in the original post.  I was referring to a set up with pawns on e6 and d5, Nf6, etc. against 1.c4 when White refrains from an early d4.  One of the appeals of this "QGD" set up is that it can be used against the English/Reti, but I imagine there must be some subtleties when White avoids d4.

Thanks,
Scott  

It has been a long time, since I looked at this, but what I remember is 1.c4 e6 2.Nf3 d5 3.b3 Nf6 4.g3 Be7 5.Bg2 o-o 6.o-o c5 7.Bb2 Nc6 8.d3 b6 and 9....Bb7 being very solid. I assume that there is some book on the Reti (the Neo-Catalan is a variation of this opening) containing this stuff.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

smrex13

Reply #4 - 07/27/06 at 02:48:13
Post Tools
Sorry I wasn't clear in the original post.  I was referring to a set up with pawns on e6 and d5, Nf6, etc. against 1.c4 when White refrains from an early d4.  One of the appeals of this "QGD" set up is that it can be used against the English/Reti, but I imagine there must be some subtleties when White avoids d4.

Thanks,
Scott

"Behind every beautiful thing there's been some kind of pain"  - Bob Dylan

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #3 - 07/26/06 at 19:05:49
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 07/26/06 at 17:50:45:
smrex13 wrote on 07/25/06 at 14:50:04:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you know of a book that covers the QGD set-up against the English opening.  I know that English books, like Kosten's, usually cover it from the White side, but I'm wondering if any of you that meet the English with a QGD set-up have found good resources for the Black side in a book.  

Thanks for any advice you might have,

Scott

I don't get it.  Once White plays d4, it's a QGD, not an English.  If he doesn't play d4, it's generally a Reti, isn't it?  Unless White does something really weird like play f4 or put the g-knight on e2?

The terminology in the question struck me as odd too ...but I figured he meant a book treating (from a Black repertoire perspective) the QGD plus relevant lines of the Réti and Catalan.

Another thought might be Edmar Mednis's "Understanding the Closed Game" (or something like that), which aims to impart (through annotated games) a general understanding of a number of Q-side openings.
« Last Edit: 07/26/06 at 20:08:36 by kylemeister »  

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 07/26/06 at 17:50:45
Post Tools
smrex13 wrote on 07/25/06 at 14:50:04:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you know of a book that covers the QGD set-up against the English opening.  I know that English books, like Kosten's, usually cover it from the White side, but I'm wondering if any of you that meet the English with a QGD set-up have found good resources for the Black side in a book. 

Scott

I don't get it.  Once White plays d4, it's a QGD, not an English.  If he doesn't play d4, it's generally a Reti, isn't it?  Unless White does something really weird like play f4 or put the g-knight on e2?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 07/25/06 at 16:05:34
Post Tools
I'm vaguely thinking that Mikhail Shereshevsky's "The Soviet Chess Conveyor" might present that sort of repertoire for Black.  Does anyone know/remember?

IP Logged

smrex13

Books that cover QGD vs. English?
07/25/06 at 14:50:04
Post Tools
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you know of a book that covers the QGD set-up against the English opening.  I know that English books, like Kosten's, usually cover it from the White side, but I'm wondering if any of you that meet the English with a QGD set-up have found good resources for the Black side in a book. 

Scott

"Behind every beautiful thing there's been some kind of pain"  - Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo