Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Good KIA book? (Read 2812 times)
parisestmagique

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Good KIA book?
Reply #7 - 08/17/06 at 10:00:15
Post Tools
The probleme with all these KIA books (and i have bought most of them) is that nobody analyse one of the best line for black 1.e4 ç5 2.d3 Nç6 3.g3 g6 4.Bg2 Bg7 5.Nf3 d6 6.0-0 e6 ! and Cge7. For me the best book is one of the first "Flank openings by Raymaond Keene" unfortunatly in my opinion the others books of this author are inferior. (The modern was quit good too)

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #6 - 08/17/06 at 07:12:52
Post Tools

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Viceroy

Reply #5 - 08/16/06 at 13:52:14
Post Tools
Tracke,

I agree with what you said entirely. Emms book is very good; heavy coverage of the KIA v's the French and Sicilian, less so v's the Caro-Kann. He suggests starting with 1.e4 rather than 1.Nf3, though at the end of each chapter he'll mention how to follow his lines if you do start 1.e4

I also agree with Tracke when he says that the KIA can be a good weapon in the hands of an expert; in the hands of a lesser player it all too often seems to have all the impact of a damp piece of lettuce! Of course, as always with openings YMMV. Wink

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #4 - 08/15/06 at 14:42:31
Post Tools
Starting Out the KIA by Emms is a very good book and IMO really sufficient as only source.

Another interesting read is Dvoretzky´s "Opening Preparation", it has two chapters about KIA.
This is not about actual theory but about thematic games:very instructional !
All other chapters (how to study openings, how to choose a repertoire, preparing novelties, dealing with novelties) are quite good, too!
But please do not forget the level of Dvoretky´s pupils!!! They´re 12-18 years old 2000-2300 players who are looking forward to compete with masters and grandmasters in (then USSR) tournaments. They know all the main line opening theory very well (!) but not deep enough to compete with grandmasters. So they need something special to reach the middlegame. For these expert players and for these purposes the KIA is a very good weapon. But not for 1400-1800 club players who have never studied any main line opening seriously and simply want to avoid hard labour in their chess affords ...

Nowadays you cannot surprise anymore any French or Sicilian player with KIA. I recommend to look at Black repertoire books (Pedersen: French Advance and other [RR:KIA!] lines; Rogozenko: Anti-Sicilians; Bauer: Play ...b6!) and try to analyse against the proposed black systems!

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #3 - 08/15/06 at 13:00:59
Post Tools
Dunnington's 'Ultimate KIA' was severly misnamed imo, I couldnt see anything 'ultimate' about it (it's the one with Fischer's games being the end of theory in the KIA vs French) and to me it felt practically useless...

Henley & Maddox may repay the reader for a little work of his own, but they won't chew the material for y'a. Anyway, it's probably out of print nowadays.

I haven't seen Emms' Starting Out the KIA, but his 'Attacking with 1.e4' repertoire was quite alright, though there he only recommends the KIA vs the French.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #2 - 08/15/06 at 11:42:53
Post Tools
I've got a lot of KIA books, although I'm currently weeding it out of my repetoire.

The Starting Out:KIA (Emms) book is good, and I liked the one by Dunnington (Ultimate KIA) and the one by Smith and Hall. I have a fondness for Larry Evan's Chess Opening For You, which started me on the KIA road.

I'd avoid the Henly Maddox database dump though.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #1 - 08/15/06 at 10:58:35
Post Tools
I remember liking Henley & Maddox book on the KIA, even if it's partly a database dump with many pages of uncommented games, I still found it useful back when I played the KIA vs the French (though mostly via 3.Qe2).

Most of the other books I've on the KIA seen quotes a few Fischer games from the 60s and pretends nothing happened since, while Henley&Maddox does get down to serious business in the Long Variation in the French for example.

IP Logged

player2006

I Love ChessPublishing!

Good KIA book?
08/15/06 at 10:39:10
Post Tools
?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo