Latest Updates:
Normal Topic playchess.com and their spyware (Read 8563 times)
Harvey Williamson

Re: playchess.com and their spyware
Reply #7 - 12/19/12 at 16:51:25
Post Tools
Playchess has 2 basic ways of tracking a user. One is by ip address the other is by a unique id from a gui. So if you install the same gui on multiple machines as Playchess sys op can see this.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #6 - 12/19/12 at 05:28:58
Post Tools
Agreed.

What sort of proof do you have, Grob-Hans?

Please feel free to use your native language as well as English. While English is the preferred language of the internet, sometimes it's better to express yourself in your own language as well just to make sure your meaning is clear.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #5 - 12/19/12 at 02:30:54
Post Tools
Very, very serious accusations which, if proveable, would be grounds for some sort of litigation, it seems to me.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Grob-Hans
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 12/18/12 at 21:36:51
Post Tools
Old thread but somewhat intresting, perhaps not only for me. Im not going here for this, but I want to discuss "my" opening.. (new member here, not soo good english..) Anyhow:
I found Playchess.com being the absolute best IT-chess-server in every aspect. I warn for ICC and Fics-usa. I was an early member of especially Fics (1994-95, before timeseal and stamp where integrated in the interfaces so we had to upload them to our Unix-servers) and also used ICC now and then, I found that both clubs have some unserious "long-living" admins and heavy spyware. Especially I can warn everyone from Fics-Babas. Its possible to inspect the users PC using Babaschess and also take some control over the PC. The "certificate" for the software is false and sold from an unserios firm in an "east-country" in europe, that never makes or is able to make serious safety-tests.
I guess that some admins tries to find Visacard-numbers.

In this special thread-case the answer really is that router, ofcourse, it stabely reports a mac-adress for the connection. If not using a router you send a mac-adress with your NV-card, directly. In some routers its possible to change this "problem" using the following software, if any and in some rare cases, old versions, directly versus the hardware.  Tongue

IP Logged

GuggleBuf
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 03/10/10 at 02:11:14
Post Tools
Both timeseal and timestamp (used at fics and icc respectivly) sends the uname -a information (ie username et.c.). I havent started reversing the playchess software yet, but it is likely that too sends information about stuff like that in order to prevent abusers from creating dupes.

IP Logged

Sax83
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/08/06 at 11:44:53
Post Tools
@Taljechin

no, it was not the same FRITZ8 - he had one year later a new FRITZ8 with a new serial number.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #1 - 09/08/06 at 11:24:47
Post Tools
"(he did not pay with a creditcard as he had a serial number from a FRITZ8 software). "

Doesn't that explain it?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Sax83
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

playchess.com and their spyware
09/08/06 at 10:59:20
Post Tools
An interesting story that I found accidentally in a German chess forum:

someone tells there that a friend of him was banned from the German playchess.com server for repeated abuses (over a long period this person behaved nice and was a fair sportsman but when he believed that he was the victim of cheating, he lost control, accused people of cheating and used in some cases foul language)

OK, so far so good. After about 1 year he had the idea to try again playchess.com. In the meantime he had a new computer, a new internet provider (therefore a new IP address) and dowloaded a new version of the playchess.com sofware. He was of course convinced that nobody would recognize him and he could start a new career online. Amazingly it needed only one day upon his registration until he was kicked out by the schach.de admin - they immediately recognized him! Since then he (and now I with him) is curios how this comes that they could identify him if he is using a new PC, a new IP, a new access software and of course also a new nickname/handle (he did not pay with a creditcard as he had a serial number from a FRITZ8 software).

There are 3 possible solutions

a.) of course his name is registered with Windows XP on the same PC; does the playchess.com software has access to this information? (I would say: relatively unlikely)

b.) his name is registered with Chessbase 8.0 that he used on the same computer; (again quite unlikely, isnt it?)

c.) the only hardware that stayed in this one year and was again used with the new computer, is his D-Link network router. (As fas as I know every network router has his own number. Does playchess.com really read this network router number and therefore recognized him immediately? It seems to be the most likely solution.)

Interesting side effect: whatever reason it is, Chessbase clearly offends the European Union laws concerning data privacy with the spyware that is included in their playchess.com client.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo