Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Budapest Ideas (Read 66187 times)
Meat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Budapest Ideas
Reply #163 - 12/17/07 at 10:50:29
Post Tools
I'm still not aware of a good way for black to combat this line:

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e5 3. dxe5 Ng4 4. Bf4 Nc6 5. Nf3 Bb4+ 6. Nc3 Bxc3+ 7. bxc3 Qe7 8. Qd5 f6 9. exf6 Nxf6 10. Qd3 d6 11. g3 O-O 12. Bg2 Bg4 13. Rab1

Apart from that, 6. Nbd2 should at least give white a slight plus, too.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #162 - 12/17/07 at 02:41:47
Post Tools
This is or was a Budapest thread wasn't it, lets try to stay on track as much as possible shall we.

I for one have decided to include the Budapest in my repertoire, since after looking closely at the theory again it seems decent and viable enough for occasional use, even against strong opposition. Furthermore nothing close to a refutation exists to my knowledge, and even the absurd looking 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5 3.dxe5 Ng4 4.Bf4 g5?! lives.

What I like about the Budapest is that it's main ideas are relatively easy to learn and apply, and White players who underestimate it are often in for a rude awakening as no other a luminary as Beliavsky once found out at the hands of Epishin.

True White has solid lines that try for a nagging edge, but he has those against any defence that black may throw at him.

All in all I consider the Budapest a useful practical weapon to have in one's arsenal against 1.d4.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #161 - 12/16/07 at 22:00:14
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 12/16/07 at 11:13:27:
MNb wrote on 12/16/07 at 10:27:11:
Combine it with the Blumenfeld.

Sorry, no Blumenfeld either 1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 c5 3. d5 b5 4. Bg5

If Black does not like this: 2...e6 3.c4 c5 4.d5 b5.

Don't tell me "sorry no Blumenfeld either 4.Nf3, 3.Bg5, 3.e3" or whatever. After 1.e4 it is no Blumenfeld either.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #160 - 12/16/07 at 19:34:21
Post Tools
I would think that in that reversed Alekhine line (with 4...e3), the extra and desirable move c4 should swing things clearly in White's favor.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #159 - 12/16/07 at 19:19:21
Post Tools
Quote:
White can simply refuse the "gambit" with 3. Nf3

Well this gives black good opportunities:

to play a reversed Scandinavian (3...ed4 4.Nd4)
to play a reversed Alekhine (3...e4 4.Nfd2 e3!?)

I see no opening problems at all  Smiley

If you want to avoid the Budapest why not simply play 1. or 2.Nf3!?
3.Nf3 makes me feel like wanting a glas of wine and ordering a mineral water  Grin

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #158 - 12/16/07 at 18:34:29
Post Tools
Greetings,

Then clearly my opponents knew even less about what to do as, as far as I recall, I won these games. [I'd have to go looking for the scoresheets, as I've yet to add the older games to my database.]

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #157 - 12/16/07 at 17:45:27
Post Tools
Dragan Glas wrote on 12/13/07 at 01:25:59:
Greetings,

Judging from the few reviews, it's not a theory-heavy book but one which seems to concentrate on explaining themes and plans using the seminal games of the early 20th century.

http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=386
http://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Budapest-Gambit-Surprise-Weapon/dp/9056912240
http://www.chessvibes.com/?p=1275

If these are correct, then this may well answer the original poster's question!  Wink

[As regards the analysis which has been discussed throughout this thread - I think that everyone's energy was somewhat wasted given that White can simply refuse the "gambit" with 3. Nf3 and have a comfortable game - which is what I've played on the three(!) occasions I've been faced with it. Grin ]

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

But this is playing for equality with White.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #156 - 12/16/07 at 12:18:56
Post Tools
Lots of negativity here - did something unspeakable happen to a group of you in that city?

Bg5 of course a well-known and potentially dangerous anti-benko system. Not easy, has to be learnt, but any opening system/ set of systems require proper study.

Agree with MnB - blumenfeld a worthy compadre.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #155 - 12/16/07 at 11:13:27
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 12/16/07 at 10:27:11:

Sorry, no Blumenfeld either 1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 c5 3. d5 b5 4. Bg5

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #154 - 12/16/07 at 10:27:11
Post Tools

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #153 - 12/16/07 at 03:20:06
Post Tools
I imagine that it fits best with a reduced KID repertoire - no saemisch, 4 pawns etc. Though how many Budapest punters will have sufficiently broad knowledge may be open to question.
Covered previously I believe.
dejavu again, and again...

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #152 - 12/16/07 at 01:31:35
Post Tools
So what do you Budapest fanatics do against 1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 ?

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #151 - 12/13/07 at 01:25:59
Post Tools
Greetings,

Judging from the few reviews, it's not a theory-heavy book but one which seems to concentrate on explaining themes and plans using the seminal games of the early 20th century.

http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=386
http://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Budapest-Gambit-Surprise-Weapon/dp/9056912240
http://www.chessvibes.com/?p=1275

If these are correct, then this may well answer the original poster's question!  Wink

[As regards the analysis which has been discussed throughout this thread - I think that everyone's energy was somewhat wasted given that White can simply refuse the "gambit" with 3. Nf3 and have a comfortable game - which is what I've played on the three(!) occasions I've been faced with it. Grin ]

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

drkodos
God Member

I see....stars.

Reply #150 - 11/13/07 at 22:48:59
Post Tools
DrKibzwang wrote on 11/12/07 at 22:02:00:
Moskalenko's book doesn't try to make the Budapest seem like the Benko -- it is a very flexible opening often with an open center -- but the book has detailed strategic summaries preceding the games in each line.

Flexible is hardly a word I would use to describe the Budapest, so if indeed Moskalenko has found some lines that are trruly flexible for Black I am interested.  But, and it's a big but (as is anyone's that spends too much time on the intrawebs) I fear the book will be more deep lines of analysis that are strong for black, but white would hardly ever venture into when they can in fact reach (almost forcibly so--hardly flexible) nearly winning positions such as is possible in the ...Ne4 variation where white simple plays a3 and can practically push the autopilot button.

As a (relatively) new d4 player after decades of e4ing people, at first I found some justification in black's ideas because I did not know some up-to-date developments (I only relied on the old Borik tome), but unless Moskalenko has some secret, recent, high level games that have never been released on any database, I remain skeptical.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

IP Logged

DrKibzwang
YaBB Newbies

The execution soon gets
worse than the threat.

Reply #149 - 11/12/07 at 22:02:00
Post Tools
I just got Moskalenko's book yesterday and am preparing a review for Georgia Chess (the state magazine, not the republic's!) so this isn't a review, just a brief comment. The question that started this entire thread was that the Budapest seemed to be based on tactical tricks but that there was no clear strategic shape to the opening, unlike, say, the Benko. Moskalenko's book doesn't try to make the Budapest seem like the Benko -- it is a very flexible opening often with an open center -- but the book has detailed strategic summaries preceding the games in each line. Entire games are annotated in detail, relating the middlegame and occasionally endgame to the opening. It looks to be a very thoroughly researched book (Moskalenko plays the Budapest both seriously OTB and online) and it has a nice labor-of-love air about it -- for example the author several times says how much he enjoyed analyzing this or that classic game. He does have an anachronistic habit of addressing his readers as "gentlemen", which you may find endearing or sexist according to taste. Production qualities are what you would expect from NIC, and there are even thumbnail pictures of some of the players.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo