Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Avoiding the King's Indian in the Modern (3.c4) (Read 2976 times)
photophore

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Avoiding the King's Indian in the Modern (3.c4
Reply #3 - 12/19/06 at 09:00:33
Post Tools
As White , I use to play 3 c4 on 1..g6 : I am a KID player , and I can play it on both sides
But usually my opponents don't want to enter a regular KID , and choose some branch of Averbakh System ( or sometimes an Hippopotamus )
Then , it happens that I studied Averbakh System , when I thought it could be a vauable sustitute for KID with Black
What I can say is that this system is very dangerous for Black ,  and  I don't yet know what lines are sound :
Everybody is not Larsen or Petrossian!
My best advice to a player of "Modern" is to enter a regular KID on 3 c4 , or , at least , to play Nf6 early enough  :
To postpone or to omit this move may have huge drawbacks

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #2 - 11/03/06 at 14:23:52
Post Tools
Thank you, that's very helpful. I'm not sure about the Rogozenko line but 3...c5 should be viable if I don't mind 4.d5 - or, for that matter, a possible (and not compulsory) Accelerated Dragon transposition after 4.Nf3.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #1 - 11/03/06 at 13:12:51
Post Tools
You might find the following threads of interest:

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1106847878/7#7

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1084376999/4#4

See also the Daring Defences thread "Where is White's advantage in the Modern?", where 4 ...Nd7!? is discussed.

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Avoiding the King's Indian in the Modern (3.c4)
11/03/06 at 11:02:11
Post Tools
Hello everybody.

As I'm playing a lot of email chess at the moment, I'm having to think about how to play with Black against lower-rated players. My normal lines, commencing 1.e4 e5, 1.d4 d5, are sound and perfectly good for OTB use. However, against lower rated players in email, there's so much information about and available to all that I'd like, at least, an occasional alternative so that I don't have to play 20-odd moves of theory or play something dubious of my own devise that my opponent's computer will like to play against.

Now finding lines that are underanalysed and reasonably acceptable isn't so simple (if they're reasonably aceptable they're likely to have been explored a lot). I thought a bit about 1.d4 c5, which might also have the virtue of producing the sort of early, blocked positions which a computer won't grasp too well, but it's hard to think of a kingside equivalent which has the same effect. So I'm mulling over the Modern which, if not entirely reliable, is at least something where independent thought will have to begin pretty early and in which the computer may not be able to point to the best way forward for White. It's also employable against 1.e4 and 1.d4.

Anyway, the main problem (for me, anway) is that after 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.c4 I don't much want to play into the King's Indian, which brings us back into the realm of highly-studied theory and into a defence I don't want to play. But is there anything else that's not highly dubious? There's 3...c5 - is that viable? And in current thinking are there are decent alternative to a KID after 3...d6 4.Nc3?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo