Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Resources for learning Black side of the Nimzo (Read 5436 times)
Klick
God Member

Re: Resources for learning Black side of the Nimzo
Reply #12 - 11/10/06 at 12:36:17
Post Tools
Yes, surely it is from a strategic point of view. But it's good to have different options to choose from. (Benoni,Ragozin,QID,QGD) This move-order has great significance for both Benoni- and QGD-players. (For instance: I'd ocassionaly consider going into a Ragozin when I feel like playing something else than the QID)

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #11 - 11/10/06 at 11:46:06
Post Tools
But isn't the QI the most consistent with a NI-rep?

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #10 - 11/10/06 at 07:32:34
Post Tools
3.Nf3 d5 is of course also an option, when white already has committed his knight. Black can aim for a Ragozin or a QGD having avoided the exchange-lines with Nge2.

IP Logged

J-dog

Reply #9 - 11/10/06 at 06:31:19
Post Tools
Good point.  I would vote for the Modern Benoni after Nf3 or g3.  The resources out on that opening are good (Watson,Palliser,Vegh,etc.).  I know this opening is not to everyone's taste, but at least in this form (3.Nf3,3.g3) you eliminate the f4 and f3 lines!

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #8 - 11/10/06 at 00:14:29
Post Tools
notyetagm wrote on 11/04/06 at 21:49:26:
I am looking to start playing the Nimzo as Black. What are the best resources
for learning how to do so?

GM Peter Wells is scheduled to release "Chess Explained: The Nimzo Indian" in May 2007
but I am looking for material that is available now or will be so shortly.

Thanks.

Nimzo players are actually very well provided for (Kosten, Emms, Gligoric, Perelstein et al, Hansen, Pliester.... It seems to me that at the moment the main problem for the would-be Nimzo player is developing a repertoire in the same vein against 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 Nf3 and 3 g3.

IP Logged

fancies
YaBB Newbies

Win with grace , lose
with dignity

Reply #7 - 11/09/06 at 21:37:59
Post Tools
I bought E.Dearing's book a few weeks ago . I enjoy picking it from time to time since it is nicely written . A special mention for the introduction !

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #6 - 11/07/06 at 10:02:03
Post Tools
Nietzsche: I was sure you would recommend the Gligoric book.

Quote:
Anyway, my point is that the Nimzo-Indian is very rich and offers lots of options for Black players, so there isn't one "correct" way to play it.

Yes. The opening is very rich. Sometimes there are almost too many choices for black. Difficult to choose.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #5 - 11/07/06 at 01:05:42
Post Tools
It really depends on how you want to play the Nimzo.

If you want fairly safe and simple (not too much theory): then I would get Emms "Easy Guide to The Nimzo-Indian" and/or Aagaard DVD's "Nimzo-Indian: The Easy way" (or something like that...) 

If you want something more dynamic or aggressive I would get Dearings "Play the Nimzo-Indian" and/or the recent "Dangerous Weapons: Nimzo".  The great thing about the Nimzo is that there are lots of ways you can play it.  For instance, there are several lines where you can play ...Ne4 and ...f5 with a Dutch feel and some lines where you simply nuke the center and play the "Karpov" game.  Anyway, my point is that the Nimzo-Indian is very rich and offers lots of options for Black players, so there isn't one "correct" way to play it.  This is what makes it such a good defense, but it also makes it difficult to recommend books to you since I don't know what you're looking for. 

To be honest, I think going through all the eBooks and all the related annotated games on ChessPublishing.com will be more than enough for a good start.  There are some really great ideas out there and more than enough theory to satisify just about anyone.

Nietzsche

ps - If you're really lazy and just want enough information to play the Nimzo, I would recommend the Aagaard DVD.  Just try and ignore his bad jokes and you'll be fine.  Wink

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #4 - 11/05/06 at 19:24:14
Post Tools
The chunky Chess Openings for Black Explained has then Nimzo as part of its Black Repertoire.

There's the Aagard DVD too.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 11/05/06 at 16:23:18
Post Tools
Depends on what you want with a book. Khalifman's Karpov book is a complete repertoire with the Nimzo of which the lines appeal to me (lots of early c5) and there is Dearing's recent book which is also a repertoire but entirely different from the Khalifman book (lots of b6). Both are good, with the latter being better in the "explanatory" department. The "starting out" book was not so good imo, especially when compared with other efforts in the series.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #2 - 11/05/06 at 09:01:32
Post Tools
You might want to check out John Emm's little but nice book "Easy guide to the Nimzo-Indian". Later on you can supplement it with games and ideas here from chesspublishing.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #1 - 11/05/06 at 05:48:03
Post Tools
If it's general ideas as opposed to specific lines you're after, I recommend Mastering the Nimzo Indian with the Read and Play Method, or something like that.  I think it's by Kosten, but I'm too lazy to check.

IP Logged

notyetagm

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Resources for learning Black side of the Nimzo
11/04/06 at 21:49:26
Post Tools
I am looking to start playing the Nimzo as Black. What are the best resources
for learning how to do so?

GM Peter Wells is scheduled to release "Chess Explained: The Nimzo Indian" in May 2007
but I am looking for material that is available now or will be so shortly.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo