Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tango players: what if white doesn't play 2. c4? (Read 12519 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Tango players: what if white doesn't play 2. c
Reply #3 - 11/09/06 at 02:26:44
Post Tools
I suggest not playing a "tricky" opening like the Tango at your level.  I bet you're getting killed in queen pawn openings from lack of space that results from blocking the c-pawn in; that's a very common symptom of games I see played by U-1400 players or so.  It's very hard to know when you can bend the rules (i.e., don't block your c-pawn by a knight in Q-pawn openings) and when you can't, especially when you don't have much of a level of sophistication.  

Why not play one of the myriad of other sound openings that allow you to get a playable middlegame?  There's the QGD, the QGA, the Tarrasch, the Semi-Tarrasch, the Slav, the Semi-Slav, Nimzo-Indian, Queen's or Bogo Indian, etc...  Of course there's nothing wrong with the Tango, but I question whether you could really play it effectively without first understanding the related ideas of the main line QGD, Chigorin Defence, and Nimzo/Bogo openings.

IP Logged

neuronet
YaBB Newbies

Struggling patzer

Reply #2 - 11/09/06 at 01:34:29
Post Tools
Thanks for the suggesting about Cox's book. It looks good.  I also have Chess Openings for Black, Explained, which has a bit about what to do when white doesn't play 2. c4. I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullett and learn a little bit about what to do in these special cases. It's also good to know, based on the commentary on Cox's book at Amazon, that many people find these deviations annoying!

I spend most of my time studying tactics (which I discuss a lot at my chess blog: http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com), but I want to have a minimal opening repertoire that can grow with my skills. I want to at least get to a playable middlegame, but with the d4 openings I tend to end up killed pretty quickly.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #1 - 11/09/06 at 01:21:36
Post Tools
I think the answer depends on what White plays instead of c4.  But in general, 2...e6 would be consistent with a Tango repoirtoire.  For example, 1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 e6 is fine.  If now 3. c4 Nc6, you are back in line with the Tango. However, other likely posiibilities are 3. Bg5 (Torre)  and 3. e3 (Colle).  Also popular is 2. Bg5, when 2....e6 is perfectly fine also.

To get more information, you might want to get John Cox's book on d4 deviations, which I understand is really good.

Having said all of that, I am not sure if at 1200, this would be the best use of your time. You might want to consider a simpler more classical opening like the QGD or the slav; and spend less time worrying about opening  theory (which is a lot less important at the 1200 level) and more time on other parts of your game.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

neuronet
YaBB Newbies

Struggling patzer

Tango players: what if white doesn't play 2. c4?
11/08/06 at 23:02:09
Post Tools
I am a patzer (~1200 rating at ICC), and have started to look at openings. To d4, I have decided to play the Two Knights Tango (1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 Nc6), using Palliser's excellent book. My problem is, what if white doesn't play c4? Are there any openings for black that are likely to transpose into the Tango, or should I change my overall strategy when this happens (in the Tango the goal is to play e5 some point)? E.g., should I bite the bullett and play 2. ... e6?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo