Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C11: Nc3-b1 retreat by Deep Fritz (Read 1581 times)
Voprak
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
!

Re: Nc3-b1 retreat by Deep Fritz
Reply #1 - 12/06/06 at 14:17:20
Post Tools
Pacificknight,
The June 2006 update you refer to was inspired by one of my games Wink...the move Ng8!? discussed is not to meet 4.e5 but to meet 5.e5 after 4.Bg5 Be7 and is intended as alternate move against players who play Alekhine-Chatard Attack ie. 6.h4 after the normal 5...Nfd7.
I must admit I've never tried it against the Advance Variation, but I think it would be quite inferior to main lines. 

PS if your not subsrciber how do you know of the update?

IP Logged

pacificknight
YaBB Newbies

I love Publishing

C11: Nc3-b1 retreat by Deep Fritz
12/06/06 at 01:21:04
Post Tools
Deep Fritz 10--Kramnik, 2006, game 6 contained these moves:  18...Nf6-g8 19 Nc3-b1.  That reminds me of the Classical/Winawer Retreat Var in the French mentioned by Neil McDonald in June 2006.  I am not a subscriber; I dont know what analysis he provided but I would like to present mine.  The retreat var from the classical order is 1 e4 e6 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 e5 Ng8.  From the Winawer order it is 1 e4 e6 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 Bb4 4 e5 Bf8 reaching the same position.  At first it seems the retreat is ridiculous but lets give it a chance.  If a player employs the Retreat Var he asserts that white must also retreat with 5 Nb1.  That would transpose to the Advance Variation.  Why would white need to retreat 5 Nb1?  White would need to retreat with 5 Nb1 if the knight were poorly placed on c3.  Why would the knight be poorly placed on c3?  The knight would be poorly placed on c3 because a pawn needs the c3 square after black plays ...c5.  In the Advance Var black does exactly this.  Black plays ...c5 and white plays c3.  If a game transposed to the Advance Var white's move has justification.  The question is can white play 5 Nce2 with good effect?  I believe that white can play 5 Nce2 with a better than usual positional advantage.  Thus black should not play the retreat variation.  However, since white won the Deep Fritz 10--Kramnik game, an idea like Nc3-b1 in reaction to ...Nf6-g8 does hold water!  The conclusion was obvious from the beginning but I had fun examining the idea.
« Last Edit: 07/31/11 at 09:05:57 by dom »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo