Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Alekhine - really a sound opening? (Read 26744 times)
Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Re: Alekhine - really a sound opening?
Reply #29 - 05/16/16 at 19:50:41
Post Tools
Completely sound IMO.

Played by Fischer, say no more.

IP Logged

MrAlekhine
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 01/10/07 at 15:15:02
Post Tools
What is the theoretical verdict of 1. e4 Nf6 2. Nc3 d5 3. e5 d4!? at the higher level?  I've played it for years, and have found it an attractive alternative.  I know it isn't the move white wants to see.  Most white players play into the endgame after 4. exf6 dxc3 5. fxg7 cxd2+ 6. Qxd2 Qxd2 7. Bxd2 Bxg7 8. O-O-O.  The game is unbalanced which generally allows the stronger player to outplay his opponent.  Suprisingly, the move that I'm not crazy about seeing is 3. exd5 Nxd5 which enters some dry lines of the Center Counter (1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6 3. Nc3 Nxd5) which don't lead to the more interesting positions, but I can't imagine it being a line white is thrilled about getting either.  I have always shyed away from the Nfd7 line (1. e4 Nf6 2. Nc3 d5 3. e5 Nfd7) because of the annoying 4. e6?! lines.  Now, regardless of what the theoretical conculsion is on this line at any given time, I know from first-hand experience that black gets a real uncomfortable position for the mere investment of a weak pawn.  

IP Logged

IM Christoph Wisnewski

International Master

Reply #27 - 01/10/07 at 09:00:55
Post Tools
I am currently finishing my book on 1...Nc6, but as soon as I have time (probably on the weekend), I will put the material up again.

"Chess you don't learn, chess you understand!" (V. Korchnoi)
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #26 - 01/10/07 at 08:20:53
Post Tools
I guess what Christoph has in mind is what was briefly discussed in:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1119459361/12#12

One of his main variations was :1. e4 Sf6 2.Sc3 d5 3.e5 Sfd7 4.f4 e6 5.Dg4!?

Too bad his web site seams to be down  Sad
It had quite a lot of analysis on it if I remember correctly...

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #25 - 01/09/07 at 22:42:35
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 01/09/07 at 21:18:51:
But then 2.Nc3 becomes more attractive to those White players, who also have the French Steinitz on their repertoire ...
I am not sure if trading the French Exchange, Advance and Tarrasch for the Alekhine Four Pawns, Alekhine Exchange and Classical Alekhine (4.Nf3) is such a good deal for Black, but anyone his cup of tea of course.
I am looking forward to IM Wisnewski's reaction.

Don't forget that this "threat" only comes from White players who like the Steinitz AND the Vienna.  Also I don't think that Black HAS to play into the Steinitz after ...Nfd7.  I only said that he should not seek to avoid that.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #24 - 01/09/07 at 21:18:51
Post Tools
But then 2.Nc3 becomes more attractive to those White players, who also have the French Steinitz on their repertoire ...
I am not sure if trading the French Exchange, Advance and Tarrasch for the Alekhine Four Pawns, Alekhine Exchange and Classical Alekhine (4.Nf3) is such a good deal for Black, but anyone his cup of tea of course.
I am looking forward to IM Wisnewski's reaction.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #23 - 01/09/07 at 13:35:55
Post Tools
Markovich,

I was impresise in my last post.
Black really doesnt have to steer for a french (although I do) - AND, that was actually Mnb's question....

(After 4..c5 many white players are tempted by Nxd5, which is OK for white of course, but black normally are more familiar with the position)

Variations, often, or can easily transpose to a french position, but not necessarily:

1.e4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e5 Nfd7 4.d4 c5 5.f4 cxd 6.Nce2 (6.Nb5 Nc6 7.Nf3 Qa5 8.Bd2 Qb6 is another possiblity)Nc6 7.Nf3 d3 8.cxd3 Nb6 and Bg4 as played by alekhine expert Bagirov.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #22 - 01/09/07 at 12:40:17
Post Tools
Quote:
I play this way with black and are happy to enter the French Steinitz having avoided the boring french exchange varition.

And, yes, I usually use the 4..c5 move order - which gives white still an option of not to enter the french...  Wink

Btw, black can also try 1.e4 Nf6 2. Nc3 e6!? if he wants to reach french steinitz. Gives white other options as well though...

I fully agree that Black should not seek to avoid the Steinitz French.  But please say how, after 2...d5  3. e5 Nfd7 4. d4 c5, White can insist on a Steinitz.  I admit to ignorance this point.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #21 - 01/09/07 at 09:22:03
Post Tools
I play this way with black and are happy to enter the French Steinitz having avoided the boring french exchange varition.

And, yes, I usually use the 4..c5 move order - which gives white still an option of not to enter the french...  Wink

Btw, black can also try 1.e4 Nf6 2. Nc3 e6!? if he wants to reach french steinitz. Gives white other options as well though...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #20 - 01/09/07 at 00:10:32
Post Tools
Can Black avoid the French Steinitz after 1.e4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e5 Nfd7 4.d4 and 4.f4 ? Maybe with 4...c5 ? I don't think many Alekhine devotees want to enter this transposition ...

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

lg
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #19 - 01/08/07 at 21:58:16
Post Tools
Markovich

Need help?

lg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #18 - 01/08/07 at 15:05:34
Post Tools
Quote:
Believe me or not, the reason I stopped playing the Alekhine after more than seven years as an exclusive weapon was 2 Nc3!?

I have done extensive analysis (this line is always covered poorly, although I do not know what John has to say about it as I was not able to get a look at his book yet), and Black has a hard time if he does not want to transpose to the Vienna with 2...e5 (probably Black's best choice).

I know that we've been around this particular mulberry bush before, but I just don't think that 2...e5 is a "concession," as you asserted elsewhere, particularly since 2. Nc3 after 1. e4 e5 is theoretically suboptimal.  However I do understand why 2. Nc3 makes sense for those, like Hector, whose repertoire is based on the Vienna.  Also I am not completely sure that White has more than his first-move advantage after 2...d5  3. e5 Nfd7. 

Maybe this would be a good place to debate the latter question.  Since the affirmative proposition appears to be that there exists a strong line of play against 3...Nfd7, I suggest that you, or someone, make that case here; I will then try to uphold the negative.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #17 - 01/05/07 at 20:33:56
Post Tools
You guys cannot have seen the Big Book of the Alekhine Defence called Die Aljechin-Verteidigung by Siebenhaar, Delnef and Ottstadt Band 1 from 1986, can you? More than 100 pages on 1.e4 Nf6 2.Nc3. I would not call this exactly deplorable. One example: SDO point out a transposition from 2...d5 3.exd5 to the 3.g3 Vienna ....
Gee, IM Wisnewski, I would have thought that every serious German chess player would own the SDO stuff!
Iirc even your idea to combat the Alekhine is briefly mentioned.
Gee, IM Cox, you confirm my prejudices about English speaking authors not consulting German sources!

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 01/05/07 at 16:01:05
Post Tools
I, errr, said that 2...e5 was Black's best choice!

I agree with you by the way: the coverage of this line in every Alekhine book I've ever seen is deplorable.

IP Logged

IM Christoph Wisnewski

International Master

Reply #15 - 01/05/07 at 15:20:36
Post Tools
Believe me or not, the reason I stopped playing the Alekhine after more than seven years as an exclusive weapon was 2 Nc3!?

I have done extensive analysis (this line is always covered poorly, although I do not know what John has to say about it as I was not able to get a look at his book yet), and Black has a hard time if he does not want to transpose to the Vienna with 2...e5 (probably Black's best choice).

"Chess you don't learn, chess you understand!" (V. Korchnoi)
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #14 - 01/05/07 at 02:29:04
Post Tools
Quote:
Hi Alekhine fans,

I want an opening repertoire for nearly the rest of my life Wink and therefore I've tested a little bit around this year. Since Sicilian is too much theory (I can't afford the time to learn this) I ended up with Centre Counter and French (played this as young boy) and finally I decided to have a look at Alekhine Defense.

But...!
Looked over the ChessPubl. Alek. Paper (date 10.9.2006) I didn't feel confident with Alekhine.

Follow me and just have a look at the mainvariation conclusions:

Chase Variation:
"black is ok, but has to be careful"
ok, this sounds quite fine but now it gets worse for black...

Four Pawns Attack:
"White has more Space and attacking chances"
so what? Do I really want something like this while playing black?

Exchange:
"White has a nagging edge and the two Bishops"
Still not better...

4.Nf3 without Bg4
"...seems to leave Black fighting for a draw"
Sad

4.Nf3 Bg4
"statistivs are very poor"
"Clearly Black needs new ideas"
"Black is compelled to passive play"
ok this is a really no-go for an intermediate player like me

So I summed up and there was nothing left for me to give Alekhine a chance.
And now I ask all Alkehine fans reading this, why do you still play Alekhine? Or why should I play it despite the mentioned facts above?

Best regards,
Markus

I think that you yourself have to answer these questions.  If you don't think they can be answered, well and good, play something else.  Personally, I'll continue to play 1...Nf6 a little longer.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Jatravartids
YaBB Newbies

I hate default text.

Reply #13 - 01/03/07 at 21:11:48
Post Tools
I've been playing the Alekhine OTB for around fifteen years. It's interesting, I have no intention of changing to anything else and wanting to play against the four pawns attack is one of the reasons I took it up in the first place. Some lines are more fun, some less, but that's true of any opening.

Give it a try.

Smiley

Jatravartids

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #12 - 12/19/06 at 14:14:41
Post Tools
I agree with Marcovich that 4Nf3 is the critical line against the Alekhine.
It would be nice to see a book "winning against the alekhine which advocates that line" and would give good any major reply .
One thing that bothers me is to see two recent "play with 1.e4" reportoire books that suggest the
exchange variation. At first sight, this seems to be a sound idea in the sense that people may not see the Alekhine
too many times. However, these books do not seem to be up to date with recent (maybe, not even that very recent)
Alekhine news (see, for instance, J.Cox's comment on this thread).
The other criticism is that if one wants to be a reasonable chess player, then he/she should start learning
and using the good lines (and 4.Nf3 seems to be the best line against the Alekhine). It is like
writing as White the exchange for the Ruy Lopez (and then use that often used slogan "played by Bobby
Fischer" - by the way have you seen BFs recent comment on a game in Iceland). For more, on these
more serious options for a reportoire, see J.Cox's nice Introduction for his nice 1.D4 starting out book.

Going back to 4 Nf3,
Khalifmans' book is one example but it would be nice to have a book like J. Cox's book explaining main
ideas an only dedicated to 4Nf3.
About a "Dangerous weapons" type of book it might also be the case that Black could get some "interesting" surprises (based on simply revisiting old lines)
in some lines such as 4 ...Bg4 and 4 ...g6. However, i would say that such a book would be more in
the fashion of the SOS books of New-in-Chess.

Unfortunately i also think that "something in the alekhine defence" may not sell that well.

About playing the Alekhine ever and ever, the problem is that the player you are playing against with,
may know that in advance and use also a surprise, or simply be prepared to your lines. I think the
reason that Alburt lost so many games with the Alekhine is that people knew about it. His match agains Short (1995, I think, is one example). Although, I think that in the fisrt game, Short was the one that
seemed to be better prepared on the Alekhine.

lg

IP Logged

tbirdas
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 12/17/06 at 18:06:04
Post Tools
Quote:
In a time that we are seeing a new brand of books "Dangerous Weapons" (my half congratulations
to R. Pallisser) , why not a book "Surviving with the Alekhine"?? Isnt this what it is all about?
Is survining with the Alekhine worse than surviving with other lines?

I would echo that comment (I suppose half congratulations because he is the co-author). I have both Nimzo and Sicilian DW books and they are excellent - however, it is unlikely that many people will be using more that half of each (i.e. white or black side only). Perhaps another idea would be to write a dangerous weapons the open (or semi-open) games for black  - I am sure some Alekhine lines would find their way in there...

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #10 - 12/14/06 at 21:06:30
Post Tools
kevinludwig wrote on 12/12/06 at 23:52:25:
I used to play the alekhine. My reasoning was that it was very likely my opponents would have under-prepared a line against it ("if someone plays the alekhine against me I'll just play the exchange and develop my pieces to normal squares", I could almost hear them say); and so even if I was supposed to be worse off, I stood a good chance of getting an advantage (I tried the same experiment with the Pirc). I was also dazzled by Fischers famous WCH win against Spassky...

I eventually concluded that if I played 1. e4 e5, my position was in general more comfortable than I would get by playing an alekhine, regardless of what theory my opponent knew in either case.

Oh, I'm sure that many people will agree that 1...e5, well-played, is the soundest answer to 1. e4.  The problem is, however, that it can be rather difficult to produce wins that way if White plays unambitiously but solidly. Of course, producing the full point with Black can be a problem no matter how you play, but the appeal of Alekhine's, for me, is that it's a tough defense and a challenge, from move one, to White's ability to find good moves. 

I've looked a lot at the 4 Pawns Attack and was worried about it for a long time, but I now think I have a pretty good answer to it -- which I won't share now, however.  Also I think the Exchange is defensible for Black with either recapture.  My present opinion is that 2. e5 Nd5  3. d4 d6  4. Nf3 is the most serious challenge to Black, whether he seeks the half point or the whole. 

The real question with Alekhine's is, can you trot it out in game after game, expecting to get a reasonable game each time, so long as you don't foul up?  Or is so shaky that it must always remain pretty much a surprise weapon?  I'd probably give it up if I thought the latter, since I prefer to play sound moves and leave the unsound ones for my opponent.  Also I don't have the time to master entire systems just to unleash them on rare occasions.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

kevinludwig

Reply #9 - 12/12/06 at 23:52:25
Post Tools
I used to play the alekhine. My reasoning was that it was very likely my opponents would have under-prepared a line against it ("if someone plays the alekhine against me I'll just play the exchange and develop my pieces to normal squares", I could almost hear them say); and so even if I was supposed to be worse off, I stood a good chance of getting an advantage (I tried the same experiment with the Pirc). I was also dazzled by Fischers famous WCH win against Spassky...

I eventually concluded that if I played 1. e4 e5, my position was in general more comfortable than I would get by playing an alekhine, regardless of what theory my opponent knew in either case.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #8 - 12/12/06 at 19:49:50
Post Tools
For sure the Alekhine is a fighting provocative defence, but the often at times unwieldly middlegames positions certainly make it an acquired taste.

Over the years ive tried various lines and approaches against the Alekhine but have come to enjoy the stability of the exchange variation:  The Voronezh variation is still the most promosing way to play against 5...cxd6 while on 5...exd6 opinion is divided on Whites best approach, many sources advocate lines with Bd3 followed by Ne2 but there is still a lot to be said for the older Nf3, Be2 formation and I particularly like the way Bojan Kurajica handled this position as White. Perhaps both these formations should be studied in conjunction.

Of the current generation Arkadij Naiditsch plays the exchange variation exclusively against the Alekhine I think and his games are worth close study.

Playing Black isn't always easy and no matter what defence you eventually settle on, a fair bit of work will be required before you will feel confident employing it. At your level 1900-2000 a careful study of the typical plans, tactical motifs and common pitfalls arising out of the chosen defence could prove invaluable and for that reason I would reccommend you consider a more classical defence with clearer more straight forward play.

Toppy Smiley    
« Last Edit: 12/13/06 at 01:22:17 by TopNotch »  

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #7 - 12/06/06 at 17:28:32
Post Tools
Dear all
I think it is generally agreed that Starting out Alekhine by J. Cox is a nice book on the Alekhine.
Furthermore, his own nice contributions to chesspublishing.com can be seen as a kind of addendums and
updates on the book.
Thus, the 1000 $ question is: will John Cox be contributing regularly to the E4 theory with the latest
Alekhine theory and news?

For anyone not understanding my concern, just look at his D4 starting out and MOSTLY to his
Intro to that book!!!!

Interesting remarks/questions on the Alekhine:
i) quite recently Ivanchuk played a nice game with Black  on the exchange variation 5....exd6
and even more recently he played White agians Palatnik on the exchange variation 5....cxd6, used
the Voroznev and won. What would he have played if Black would have played 5...exd6. Due to the
Voroznez, isnt this line that people should be examining more? I believe that Baburin and Larsen (a long
time ago) play it reguraly.

ii) have you seen Kasparov's comments on the two Alekhine, Spassky Fischer games???
Interesting is the fact that on the 4Nf3 Bg4, Kasparov seems to suggest that after 1...Bxf ,
12 BxB seems to be better than the more modern 12 gxB. In fact, he even seems to imply that
if a Karpov-Fischer match would have happened and an Alekhine would have been played,
it might be the case that we would be able to see a 12 BxB game (he mentions the fact that Geller
was quite close to Karpov and Geller was advocarting that line). By the way, on the 12 gxB line,
Kasparov seems to be giving an improvemnt for Black on a game Sokolov-Weingold which seems
to be ok for Black.

iii) In a time that we are seeing a new brand of books "Dangerous Weapons" (my half congratulations
to R. Pallisser) , why not a book "Surviving with the Alekhine"?? Isnt this what it is all about?
Is survining with the Alekhine worse than surviving with other lines?
Why was it that in the 70's, larsen and Fischer consustently played the Alekhine? Isnt it also
a matter of likeness by the player?
Anyway, after watching (on-line) yesterday's
game Fritz-Kramnik, someone might also think about "Surviving with the Najdorf", no?

Lg

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/06/06 at 16:34:34
Post Tools
Markus; in that Exchange variation line 14…h6 just isn’t the right move; 14…Na5 15 Be2 b6 is. But whether Black can equalise there or not – I think he can - his winning chances are not so great, I concede (this is the Voronezh variation I mentioned).

Black has a lot of other ways to handle the Chase than the one given there, and that’s not what I usually play so I’m not sure about it. I know Nigel annotated a game on this line where White gives up his e-pawn like that, so I expect that was this line, and from what I remember White had to be just as careful as Black to demonstrate his compensation.

You speak of IM/GM level as though these were the same thing as the 2700 level! I can assure you the air is a good deal less rarefied down here than at Linares. One can even get away with stuff like 1 e4 d5……

I think you are right; with this opening more than most it is a question of whether you feel comfortable with the deal involved. As you say you will find that most games at your level depart from theory reasonably quickly anyway.

From my point of view the reason the e-book isn’t by me is that they didn’t ask me to do it. Nigel did the site for a long time and Andrew slightly less long, and I expect there are many more games annotated by them than me. I’ve only ever been a semi-occasional guest contributor.

IP Logged

SchwarzRotGold
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 12/06/06 at 14:13:39
Post Tools
The eBook "Alekhine's Defence" is written by GM Nigel Davies and IM Andrew Martin, the main updates were made by Martin.

The Main Variation in Chase Variation is:
1. e4 Nf6 2. e5 Nd5 3. c4 Nb6 4. c5 Nd5 5. Bc4 e6 6. Nc3 Nxc3 7. dxc3 Nc6 8.
Bf4 Qh4 9. g3 Qe7 10. b4 g5 11. Be3 Nxe5 12. Bd4 with the comment I already quoted.

In the Exchange Variation 5. ... cxd6 is mentioned as Main Variation with:
1. e4 Nf6 2. e5 Nd5 3. d4 d6 4. c4 Nb6 5. exd6 cxd6 6. Nc3 g6 7. Be3 Bg7 8. Rc1
O-O 9. b3 e5 10. dxe5 dxe5 11. Qxd8 Rxd8 12. c5 N6d7 13. Nf3 Nc6 14. Bc4 h6 15.
Ne4 Re8 16. O-O Re7 17. Nd6 Nf8 18. Nxc8 Rxc8 19. Nd2 with the comment I already quoted.

thx for your answer JohnCox, I did really appreciate it.
My current rating is about 1900-2000 and my opponent rating will be between 1700 and 2250, at least most of the time. Many people, especially with higher ratings, just say you can play everthing if you are not playing at IM/GM level (where we have to choose some of the openings you suggested). In their point of view surely true, still this doesn't help me as 1950er which opening to choose or which one are the best for my task / vs. my opponents.
Honestly, I think in my rating class most games will diverge from mainlines most of the time and as early as move 6, 7 or 8, therefore I will give Alekhine a chance, but with a slightly critical basic setting. Wink
Your answer points out the main task, undergo pressure for the sake of reward, of Alekhine and I think this main drawback (voluntary go under pressure) doesn't suits me. But I will play through some of your annotated games, play some rapid games and maybe it suits me after all.

btw: why is the Alekhine eBook not written by John Cox. Wink

best regards
Markus

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 12/06/06 at 11:55:16
Post Tools
The story goes – doubtless untrue, but still – that Baburin was asked by whichever publisher to do a book for them called ‘Winning With the Alekhiine’, and that he declined, stating that he would only do such a  book if it could be called ‘Surviving with the Alekhine’. The publishers felt that lacked punch from a marketing point of view, and so sadly the book was never produced.

There is a kernel of truth in this tale. When I play it I feel that I have to be more than usually alert if I don’t want to get a bad position. But probably that’s not a bad thing.

IP Logged

IMRichardPalliser

Reply #3 - 12/06/06 at 11:40:45
Post Tools
But who wrote those conclusions? IMO you should chiefly study all the games on ChessPub annotated by Cox, a true Alekhine devotee.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/06/06 at 11:38:48
Post Tools
I’m not sure who the Alekhine e-book is by, and I can’t look at it because for some reason the site people don’t seem to be able to make my password work, but some of those statements are way too gloomy.

I don’t know your strength either of course and if you’re aiming to be 2700 then it’s a different matter: basically as far as I can see the elite seem to think you need to be looking at the Najdorf, the Sveshnikov, the Berlin, the Marshall or the Petroff, and not much else. But for knocking about at 2500 level and under the Alekhine is fine.

Specifically:

The statement you quote about the Chase Variation I find quite extraordinary. The only question in most of the lines is whether White is actually losing by force or not. If I could start every game from the position after move 4 then I’d be 2600 by now.

The Exchange Variation – well, 5…cxd6 is certainly not refuted but it is difficult to play for a win as Black against the Voronezh, since the best lines lead to drawish endgames. See my valuable contributions in the archives. I take it the e-book is on about 5…exd6, which I think is fine. White does have some rather dull set-ups, and Black needs to be very aware of move order – again see the Baburin and Ivanchuk games I annotated – but I don’t think White obtains the sort of easy edge you’re talking about.

4 Nf3 Bg4 is a difficult one. Baburin does fine with it – theory (in the form of Graham Burgess, anyway) has been rather down on it. You need to like a particular sort of position – closed and cramped but with structural upsides. Search a database for Bagirov’s games in the main line. But 4…dxe5 5 Nxe5 c6, 5…g6 or even 5…Nd7?!!, are possible. The first two give similar play to the Fort Knox or the Caro; probably White is a little better, but probably too Black can equalise in the end. I don’t know about ‘seems to leave Black fighting for a draw’: that hasn’t been my experience particularly.

The Four Pawns is the biggest challenge and is coming back into fashion. Of course White has space and attacking prospects, but that doesn’t mean he’s better. This is the area Black needs to do the most work in – again, the games I’ve annotated in the archives suggest the reason why Black is under pressure here more than he has been for a while. I have some ideas for Black myself – I guess most Alekhine fans do – but whether they are any good or I ever get the chance to test them remains to be seen.

Why should you play the opening – well, it’s not for everyone. The whole idea of it is provocative; and that means that on the whole you have to be happy to undergo pressure for the sake of reward if you come out the other side. Not everyone likes to play that way.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #1 - 12/06/06 at 10:06:53
Post Tools
Quote:
I want an opening repertoire for nearly the rest of my life Wink

Well given that amount of learning time, you might as well play the Siclian  Wink

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

SchwarzRotGold
YaBB Newbies

Alekhine - really a sound opening?
12/06/06 at 07:54:19
Post Tools
Hi Alekhine fans,

I want an opening repertoire for nearly the rest of my life Wink and therefore I've tested a little bit around this year. Since Sicilian is too much theory (I can't afford the time to learn this) I ended up with Centre Counter and French (played this as young boy) and finally I decided to have a look at Alekhine Defense.

But...!
Looked over the ChessPubl. Alek. Paper (date 10.9.2006) I didn't feel confident with Alekhine.

Follow me and just have a look at the mainvariation conclusions:

Chase Variation:
"black is ok, but has to be careful"
ok, this sounds quite fine but now it gets worse for black...

Four Pawns Attack:
"White has more Space and attacking chances"
so what? Do I really want something like this while playing black?

Exchange:
"White has a nagging edge and the two Bishops"
Still not better...

4.Nf3 without Bg4
"...seems to leave Black fighting for a draw"
Sad

4.Nf3 Bg4
"statistivs are very poor"
"Clearly Black needs new ideas"
"Black is compelled to passive play"
ok this is a really no-go for an intermediate player like me

So I summed up and there was nothing left for me to give Alekhine a chance.
And now I ask all Alkehine fans reading this, why do you still play Alekhine? Or why should I play it despite the mentioned facts above?

Best regards,
Markus

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo