Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Best Queen's Gambit book? (Read 21291 times)
Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Best Queen's Gambit book?
Reply #21 - 10/06/07 at 10:22:26
Post Tools
I would also give a high recommendation for McDonald's starting out QGD book. It is a bit light on the theory (and certainly current hot lines), but it gives very good explanantions as to why certain moves are played and a basic view on how they came about. Eg you will get a good understanding of why h6 is good in the Tartakower and what to look and watch out for. As a confirmed e4-player who was really new to this opening it greatly helped me getting to grips with it, much more than other books I have such as the 1.d4 books, though they are stronger on theory itself.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #20 - 10/06/07 at 08:27:56
Post Tools
I wasn't as impressed with Marovic's book as I had thought I would be.  It may be that the unanimous recommendations from friends who had read it made me think this was the one book on the QGD to own.

The more I work through Khalifman's series OFWATKramnik, the more I appreciate some of the lines he mentions.  Khalifman doesn't go into any tremendous depth on many of the lines, but he gives enough information to get me (and my opponent) into trouble.

I don't think there's a book out there that is capable of covering the lines that are being tested at the highest level.  The target is moving too fast for any book to keep up. 

I recommend reading the notes to pertinent games in Kasparov's My Great Predecessors series, Igor Stohl's Instructive Modern Chess Masterpieces, and commentary on tournaments that are available here and elsewhere.
I hope this helps.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #19 - 10/06/07 at 08:14:13
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 10/04/07 at 20:56:12:
TalJechin wrote on 10/04/07 at 17:16:05:
I also liked Marovic's book - a pity he didn't deal with QGA and Tarrasch too though. Is there any 'complete QG' in one book? So far I suppose Pachmans series from the 70-80s is closest, or perhaps Schwarz...

Taimanov's Damengambit bis Holländisch is an almost complete treatment of 2...dxc4 and 2...e6. Only the triangle (3...c6) is missing.

I'd forgotten about Khalifman's 1.Nf3 + 2.d4 repertoire a la Kramnik - this is probably the most current and reasonably complete QG source albeit from a white perspective (though in three volumes #3-5 iirc).

Btw antillian, as I remember it Marovic leaned a bit towards white - as white wins the large majority of the illustrative games, even when he played badly in the opening... But the style of writing is quite nice and uncommon for a chess book. While the Khalifbooks above has lots of peculiar expressions like 'White can struggle for an advantage in the QGD' and 'Black refuses from the move 4...Be7' etc.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #18 - 10/06/07 at 00:22:27
Post Tools
Ant:

I have the book. Pretty even-handed I feel.

Good collection of example games - best for collected examples to play through.

Sadler best for clarity and depth of explanation. Unusual to get such a very strong player writing such books and in such a clear way.  Socratic style not since emulated. Few good enough to be able to sufficiently grasp the nettle to ask the right incisive qs and give such insightful answers.

Palliser/cox/ward/dunnington combo for repertoire.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #17 - 10/05/07 at 16:41:57
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 10/05/07 at 16:29:22:
Is Marovic's book written for the White side or the black side?

I believe there were a couple of remarks (like in the preface/on the cover) implying a "Black" perspective, but I think that in terms of the actual contents it's a balanced/objective treatment.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #16 - 10/05/07 at 16:29:22
Post Tools
Is Marovic's book written for the White side or the black side?

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #15 - 10/04/07 at 20:56:12
Post Tools
I also liked Marovic's book - a pity he didn't deal with QGA and Tarrasch too though. Is there any 'complete QG' in one book? So far I suppose Pachmans series from the 70-80s is closest, or perhaps Schwarz...

Taimanov's Damengambit bis Holländisch is an almost complete treatment of 2...dxc4 and 2...e6. Only the triangle (3...c6) is missing.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #14 - 10/04/07 at 18:31:31
Post Tools

Btw, what do people here think of Pedersen's Meran book and Jangava's repertoire for black vs QG and Catalan?

I fully agree, Marovic's book is the best overview.  I believe it's long out of print, however.  (Edit: I now see that can still be obtained on amazon.com.) To anyone taking this up for the first time, I would advise against the exchange.  Why let the bishop out?
« Last Edit: 10/05/07 at 13:27:39 by Markovich »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #13 - 10/04/07 at 17:16:05
Post Tools

Btw, what do people here think of Pedersen's Meran book and Jangava's repertoire for black vs QG and Catalan?

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #12 - 10/04/07 at 15:53:56
Post Tools
Bibs, see reply #8, but thanks for giving me the opportunity to repeat myself.  Marovic's book is the best book to start with.  It will give you a grounding in the key ideas and the classic games.  And he has broad coverage.  I've yet to find another like it.

If you can't find Marovic somewhere, I would suggest starting by playing over games by Capa, Alekhine and Rubinstein.  Lasker and Pillsbury are also good.  Look for games that are annotated, but don't worry too much about annotations.  Just play through the games and try to get an idea of what the major plans are for White. 

Repertoire books recommend the Exchange Variation, but if you really want to learn the opening and not just one line, I suggest that you start with the main lines, especially the Classical and the Lasker's, and not just jump into the Exchange.  (Just my opinion, others may disagree and hey, your mileage may vary). 

Good luck.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #11 - 10/04/07 at 06:39:15
Post Tools
Surprised not to find
Play the Queen's Gambit by Drazen Marovic here.  Instructive.

Update with Rizzitano's Chess Explained: QGD, plus stuff here and you are well on your way imho.

IP Logged

nyoke
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 03/05/07 at 14:52:12
Post Tools
So the question is then what the best non-exchange lines are, and what literature is available on these...

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #9 - 01/08/07 at 20:07:08
Post Tools
Ward´s "Play the Quen´s Gambit" isn´t bad, it just has some flaws (maybe like every opening manual).

The much more important question is if you really want to go with fashion and always for QGE and e3 Slavs. Imo you should begin your study of QG with all the old mainlines (allowing Open Slav, Tartakower, Orthodox, Cambridge-Springs,...). Especially as QGE is not really better for White than Nf3-QGDs (if Black knows how to defend well), QGE is only more easily to play for club players.

Considering books I´ve always liked "The Queen´s Gambit for the attacking player" by Burgess/Pedersen (Batsford,1997). It´s a little bit outdated but should be still sufficient up to expert level. Together with their "Beating the Indian Defences" you´ll get a complete d4/c4 mainline repertoire.

And I strongly recommend Gligoric´s game collection "I play against pieces", packed full of annotated d4 mainline games, all of Gliga´s important clashes from 1940-70.

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #8 - 01/07/07 at 16:51:07
Post Tools
If you can find it somewhere, the book you want is Marovic's Play the Queen's Gambit.  It's obviously out of date, but will give you a good grounding in the lines you want to play (incl Slav and Semi-Slav.)

You can then use a database and NCO or ECO to bring your theory up-to-date.

Lee Roth

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #7 - 01/07/07 at 02:19:16
Post Tools
If I were to recomend one book on everything (ie. Slav, Semi-Slav, QGD, QGA) which covers all the openings for both sides, then it will be the Tactics in the Chess Opening QG volume from NIC, the selection of modern games is superb, with top-notch theory up to 2006, though the explanations are often minimal and assume a much higher level of positional understanding of the openings than Sadler, so probably this book is only for the stronger or more experienced player. Anyway... the title did say it is "Tactics in the Chess Opening" and not "Strategy in the Chess Opening", so the book does what it says!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo