Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Best Queen's Gambit book? (Read 21284 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Best Queen's Gambit book?
Reply #6 - 01/07/07 at 01:49:44
Post Tools
One of my favourite books, and very cheap, is Edmar Mednis' Strategic Chess.  It basically is a strategic introduction to most of the closed games.  It's not comprehensive, but it's packed with excellent learning material about the Catalan, QGD, Slav, Semi-Slav, QID, Nimzo, etc...

The other book I'd recommend is Soltis' Pawn Structure Chess.  He has chapters on the isolated pawn, hanging pawns, Slav/Caro type formations, etc., all of which can come about from the Queen's Gambit.  Understanding how to play those different position types will help you understand why you might play particular moves in the openings.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #5 - 01/06/07 at 22:25:08
Post Tools
Just thought that I would add that two other books which  will help to teach you a lot about the ideas in the QG complex of openings are Reben Fine's "Ideas Behind the Chess Openings" and Soltis' "Pawn Structure Chess".

Fine's book is a bit dated, having been written before the current age and thus will not cover a lot of the new dynamic approaches to the openings, but the basic ideas are still very relevant. Soltis work will help you to play your middlegames much better.

The advantage of both of these books is that they will help you with your other openings as well.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Viceroy

Reply #4 - 01/06/07 at 17:33:53
Post Tools
Like the other posters I think you should get John Cox's d4 book. Only had it month but I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. Chris Ward's book seem not bad to me and would seem like a useful book for anyone playing the QG. FYI Ward & Cox both suggest the exchange version of the QGD.  You can view sample pages of both books at Amazon.com/co.uk and that should help you decide.

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #3 - 01/06/07 at 13:52:10
Post Tools
Personally I really liked Sadler's QGD book, but I don't think I'm a very strong player and so that may be the reason it read well for me.  I have played for about 10 years also, mostly online and against an old Novag tabletop computer(!); online I play mostly blitz (I know, bad for your game Embarrassed) I'm afraid and veer wildly from 1700 to at best 1950 most of the time. Still, I've read quite a few books and I like all three of Sadler's that Andrew mentions, preferring the QGD over the Slav over the Semi Slav (in terms of the books, not the openings).  I also have Chris Ward's White repertoire book on the Queens Gambit that you mention (and his QGA book) and although I don't like his writing style very much I think it's a useful book that you probably ought to buy if you intend to open this way.  I didn't know it had received any derision here, but I bought it primarily for the extensive QGA coverage, as I play the QGA a little as Black, but it looks like it would be beneficial to White 1d4 players with the occasional caveat (Slav is not handled with mainlines etc, weighting of material e.g lots of QGA may be questionable to some).
It's easy to second Andrew's recommendation of Rizzitano for QGA coverage, and I also liked Bogdan Lalic's slightly older book on the Bg5 systems of the QGD, if you can still find it.  That one had plenty of coverage of systems such as the Ragozin, Cambridge Springs, Vienna, that Sadler barely mentioned in his own QGD book, as well as covering Tartakower and Exchange lines (and Alatortsev). Also possibly of interest if you want a big lump of theory is Lasha Janjgava's Queens Gambit & Catalan for Black, although I personally found this strictly a reference work, there's hardly any explanatory text in it.  Still, it covers the Catalan quite well.

John Cox's 1.d4 book is also in my library, by the way, and I would say this is a must for anyone who plays 1d4 (I don't) or anyone who struggles against it (I most certainly do).

Hope some of this may help.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #2 - 01/06/07 at 13:28:08
Post Tools
I have very fond memories of Karpov's "Closed Openings in Action". This was the book that taught me the Queen's Gambit and made me switch from 1 e4 to 1d4.  I am probably overrating it somewhat and since i no longer have my copy, I cannot take a fresh look at it to tell.  In any case, I suspect it is no longer available.

I am not sure you will fine one book the adequately explains the ideas behind the Slav, Semi-Slav, QGD and QGA in a single volume. There are really four separate openings with very different ideas.

I would, however, second Andrew Brett's reccommendation of "Starting out 1 d4" by John Cox. One of the things you will often hear is that he reccomends topical and hence highly theoretical lines. Don't let that scare you, since at your level it does not matter. In addition, his explanations of the ideas are first rate. In general, his explanations are much better than in Palliser's Play 1d4 with the latter being intented for a more advanced audience. You can actually browse through John Cox's book online at Amazon.com through the "Surprise Me" feature, and make up your mind for yourself before buying it.

However, I would warn you that Cox's book foucussed on the QGD Excahnge variation. So if you want to play the more traditional lines, you won't find much help here.

Failing that, you might want to wait to see what MASTERING THE CHESS OPENINGS volume 2 (John Watson) has to offer.

Good luck!

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 01/06/07 at 11:55:53
Post Tools
I am guessing that your more interested in learning the plans behind the various behind the queens gambit rather than books which focus on just analysing the lines......so here goes !

Ward's book is actually quite an easy read - one of his best chapter is on the exchange variation. But his variation is different to Cox's 1d4 !! John gives a good intro to the subject. I didn't rate Sadler's book even though it won praise and maybe a BCF book of the year award. I've yet to see  a decent general intro to the orthodox, tartakower ,lasker variations and cambridge springs .

Avoid Shaw's book - it's not that great, although has a few good ideas in the slav.

On the QGA - easy to recommend Ritzittano's repertoire book.

On the Slav/Semi-slav, Sadler wrote a couple of decent books which are miles better than his QGambit effort.

If you want a general intro, I;d recommend Cox's book.

I haven't seen it , but Neil McDonald is about to write an introductory book on this subject . One word of warning he doesn't play 1d4 !!

Hope that gives you a few clues!

Andrew Brett

IP Logged

Jared86
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Best Queen's Gambit book?
01/06/07 at 02:52:51
Post Tools
Hi,

I'm a new person to this forum. I've played chess for a while and i'm a 1.d4 devotee. I like to play the Trompowsky against 1.d4 Nf6, and I've experimented with the "D Pawn specials" openings, but found no opening satisfying and no book on them very interesting or sound.

So I've decided to come back to the Queen's Gambit and I'm curious which book about it is the best. I got Sadlers "Queen's Gambit Declined" but it only covers a small part of what the White player needs to know to play the opening, meaning I still need a plan against the Slav, the Semi Slav, and the Queen's Gambit Accepted. And to be honest Salder's writing style just wasn't for me. He seemed to unneccecarily counfuse me with the way he evaluated key lines.

I'm not an officially rated player, but I'm reasonably good (I estimate around 1600 strength or so based on online play) and I've been playing chess for about 10 years. I very much enjoyed "Winning with the Trompowsky" by Peter Wells and "Tiger's Modern" by Tiger Hillarp Perrson.

I know its naive of me to suggest that i can learn enough to play such a complex opening from a single book, but at the same I do enjoy reading most chess books very much, even if i end up not using the strategies they entail.

On this board, Chris Ward's book "Play the Queen's Gambit" was widely derided, so I'm guessing nobody will suggest that.

Richard Palliser's "Play 1.d4" was given praise, but most of the book is about strategies I won't need as I play 1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5 . Plus, I read Palliser's book "Tango" and it was a bit too confusing to me. I'm not sure if that is just Palliser's style or that particular strategy, but I usually like learning WHY a move is good instead of just a variation showing it working, because I find it far easier to remember over the board if there is a reason or principle behind it.

The same goes with "Starting Out: 1.d4" by Cox. Is the book good enough for me to get if i won't use the 1...Nf6 part? Is his style more "plan-rich" or more "theoretical?"

I'm not sure  if "Starting Out: The Queen's Gambit" by John Shaw, is any good. Has anybody here read it?

Other than those three, I'm not sure what else is out there or what I should be looking at. What do you guys think is best?

Thanks in advance for any reccomendations or any advice. I'm just very sick of actually having a greater win percentage using Black pieces rather than White ones. At this point I don't care what strategy I use, but I'd like some kind of guide I can trust for my 1.d4 d5 games as White.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo