Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Your take on WWTD2 today ? (Read 1437 times)
Feldman
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Your take on WWTD2 today ?
Reply #2 - 01/07/07 at 19:24:44
Post Tools
Thank you for the detailed reply.

I had been looking at discussions of dragon books in here, including Dearings and Wards, and wondered
wether WWTD2 was still worth buying. From your description I find the answer to be yes, at least for someone new to the dragon Smiley

IP Logged

Scholar
God Member

Re: Your take on WWTD2 today ?
Reply #1 - 01/07/07 at 18:42:15
Post Tools
It's a good book -- easy to read, demonstrating key themes and so on.  Most people that I know who have read it agree.  However, the sections on the Yugoslav attack with 9.Bc4 and 9.0-0-0 suggest lines which have been, as you note, refuted.

If you're playing at a level where this isn't a big concern yet, you might want to check the book out anyway -- it's the kind of thing where you can read through it a couple of times and then sit down and play with some level of competence.  However, you will eventually meet opponents who have worked things out against Ward's repertoire -- when exactly this happens depends on your local chess scene.

Of the more recent dragon books, I own only Dearing's.  It's a great book, although I don't play his main recommendations, and I would have liked more attention paid the move order (but this is a complaint which extends to most opening books I use).  Still, I think that it would be difficult to learn the dragon by reading that book, especially for someone just starting out.

There are some other dragon books and more comments (and links) here: http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148929559

Actually you can just scroll down, this is still on the first page (Books on the Dragon).  Welcome to the forum -- if you search, or just page through, you'll see a lot of information on books or particular lines already discussed.

IP Logged

Feldman
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Your take on WWTD2 today ?
01/07/07 at 13:44:53
Post Tools
Hello,

I have become interested in the dragon recently.

Studying older suggestions for opening books on the dragon, WWTD2 seems very popular.

I understand that some lines which are recommended by Ward in WWTD2 have been refuted.

How bad is this, and do you still consider Wards book as among the best compared with more recent titles on the dragon ?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo