Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C11: Two Knights v French Defence (Read 8063 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Two Knights v French Defence
Reply #7 - 02/03/07 at 19:33:36
Post Tools
There is also a young GM from Azerbaijan that plays the Two Knights variation almost exclusively against the french, his name is Gadir Guseinov, and I think he has a good score with it. Perhaps the games of this Guseinov fellow are worthy of close study by anyone interested in this line of the French.

Topertz Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #6 - 02/03/07 at 19:25:54
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 02/03/07 at 01:20:31:
Indeed 3...Nf6 4. ed ed looks like a dubious version of the Exchange for White.  Not something Black should go out of his way to avoid, I suggest.  

As for 4. e5, I would think that Spassky-Petrosian (from the late '60s, I believe) is still a good model for Black ...

Surely Spassky-Petrosian is not the final word on this variation, indeed in more recent times GM Ian Rogers often plays the White side of this Two Knights Variation and with some success, albeit only from the Classical French move order.

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #5 - 02/03/07 at 01:20:31
Post Tools
Indeed 3...Nf6 4. ed ed looks like a dubious version of the Exchange for White.  Not something Black should go out of his way to avoid, I suggest.  

As for 4. e5, I would think that Spassky-Petrosian (from the late '60s, I believe) is still a good model for Black ...

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #4 - 02/03/07 at 01:02:48
Post Tools
Kf7 wrote on 01/08/07 at 09:25:48:
Hi All!

Don't have Watson's 'Play The French book' handy with me at the moment, so I can't check but anyway I can't seem to find any coverage here on the Two Knights setup against the French - not sure how best to deal with this and would like any opinions from you lot.

After the sequence :-

1. e4 e6 2. Nf3 d5 3. Nc3 Nf6 (not sure whether this is the most optimum move here) BUT after 4. exd5 takes it into the (dreaded?!) Exchange variation but with the move 3. Nf6 played which I don't normally play via the normal routes in the Exchange sequence.

How do you lot deal with this setup?

Chris Baker has a book out called A Startling Opening Repertoire that covers the Two Knights variation against the french, however I think its written from White's point of view.

Tops Smiley

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 01/08/07 at 13:51:07
Post Tools
[quote author=Uberdeker link=1168248348/0#2 date=1168261635]  Theoretically speaking, the Two Knights' is not particularly threatening, but Winaver players may be facing a dilema here : not allowed to play their usual anti-positional chess!
[/quote]
What dilemma and what anti-positional chess?
Just play 3..Bb4 ;D

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #2 - 01/08/07 at 13:07:15
Post Tools
If after 3. ...Ktf6 ; 4. ed you don't want to allow the exchange structure, you can simply reply with 4. ...Ktxd5 and a sensible position.
One interesting reply to the Two Knights' is the "master key" 3. ...Be7!?, while 3. ...h6 and 3. ...a6 can transpose to similar lines.
I'd be a bit wary of Urusov's suggestion of 3. ...d4, since although Black may ultimately be more or less OK, this is exactly what White is looking for and is prepared to play.
Theoretically speaking, the Two Knights' is not particularly threatening, but Winaver players may be facing a dilema here : not allowed to play their usual anti-positional chess!

IP Logged

urusov

Reply #1 - 01/08/07 at 09:58:43
Post Tools
The Exchange Variation hardly seems your biggest concern, since White usually does not commit his Knight to c3 in the Exchange Variation.  Also, I don't think you will have any strong players trying that against you.  Typically, the Two Knights transposes to Steinitz lines with Nf3.

If you are concerned, however, then why not 3...d4 4.Ne2 c5 5.c3 Nf6!  This seems pretty much equal.

IP Logged

Kf7
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

C11: Two Knights v French Defence
01/08/07 at 09:25:48
Post Tools
Hi All!

Don't have Watson's 'Play The French book' handy with me at the moment, so I can't check but anyway I can't seem to find any coverage here on the Two Knights setup against the French - not sure how best to deal with this and would like any opinions from you lot.

After the sequence :-

1. e4 e6 2. Nf3 d5 3. Nc3 Nf6 (not sure whether this is the most optimum move here) BUT after 4. exd5 takes it into the (dreaded?!) Exchange variation but with the move 3. Nf6 played which I don't normally play via the normal routes in the Exchange sequence.

How do you lot deal with this setup?
« Last Edit: 07/30/11 at 18:36:37 by dom »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo