Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Berlin sources (Read 15539 times)
IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Berlin sources
Reply #3 - 01/11/07 at 12:52:17
Post Tools
Thanks, Andrew. Yes, I took Informator and the NiC Yearbook for granted, but thanks for pointing me to GF's article.

Chesspub is actually pretty lamentable on this line, but I will have a look, certainly, if the site authorities ever get my password to work....

Fischer - really? I'll look - some game against Bisguier, no doubt. Is that the one where he slumped and his chest collapsed, I wonder?

Which AM DVD is that, then? Bits and Pieces is on the internet somewhere, is it?

The Four Knights - I doubt it, after all it's not specific to the Berlin. Whatever Ruy line you're playing you've got to be ready for 3 Nc3, and a huge majority of people play 3.,..Nf6 then, so there's no reason as I see it to cover the Four Knights by this route any more than, eg, the Scotch of King's Gambit.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 01/11/07 at 12:49:11
Post Tools
-Emms' Easy guide has a chapter (one of the better chapters I might add)
-Shaw's Starting Out the Ruy does too. Though both may be less useful to you. The former for being a bit out of date, the latter for not focussing too much on theory itself.
-Stay away from Play the Ruy by Lane. It deals with the Berlin (d3 and the main line), but I found the book lacking in about every area. Complete lines are missing, alternatives not mentioned etc.

Those are the recents books I have.

If you also deal with 4.Nc3 (seems often neglected) you may want to look in the various 1.e4 e5 books eg from Marin.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 01/11/07 at 12:46:28
Post Tools
Dear John,

I think you'll find that Andy Martin in his bits and pieces column has written about the Re1 line as a recommendation. Luke McShane had a nice win in this line against Nielson a few years aqo. I haven't got the exact reference but believe it was in Chess a while ago. You should have a look at his DVD as well.

New in Chess Yearbook - Vol 57 by Glenn Flear- I suspect there are later ones as well and in informator.

Fischer' memorable games has some analysis.

And dare I say it but Chess publishing has a few bits of info as well.

Just one question the reply 4 Nc3 turns the game into a 4 knights - are you going to comment on that ?

Good luck !

Andrew

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Berlin sources
01/11/07 at 10:22:52
Post Tools
I’m doing a book on the Berlin for Quality Chess and I’m interested in any (preferably English-language, but I’m not that fussy) sources. The ones I know of so far are:

Almasi’s various Yearbook articles.
Shamkovich’s Chess Terrorist’s Handbook has some stuff on 5 Re1.
Kaufman’s Chess Advantage in Black and White.
Flear’s Unusual Ruy Lopez.
Khalifman’s Anand repertoire book, volume 1.
Andrew Greet’s Play the Ruy Lopez on 4 Qe2.
L B Hansen’s Secrets of Endgame Strategy (several games as part of a general disquisition).

Can anyone point me to any other useful material?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo