Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) C12: MacCutcheon books (Read 9531 times)
Bibs
God Member

Re: MacCutcheon books
Reply #15 - 12/01/07 at 15:31:43
Post Tools
Thanks very much for all the Corr Chess French material tips Paddy. Thanks for the link.

Just emailed BCCA, hopefully can have more detailed and informed discussion of these lines in time.

Bibs

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #14 - 12/01/07 at 12:48:20
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 10/31/07 at 17:14:13:
Justinhorton wrote on 01/20/07 at 14:48:03:
1. Are there any?

2. Are there any planned?

3. In the absence of 1. and 2, what are the best print sources?

In 2001-2 the British Correspondence Chess Association arranged a thematic correspondence tournament based on the Mac. This was arranged in three sections; the top section was quite strong - it included future IM John Cox, a keen Mac player in his youth. The theoretical findings of the tournament were reported in issues 156/7 ( a double number) and 158 of the BCCA magazine Correspondence Chess. Back numbers might still be available. Try http://www.bcca.info.

Addendum: There was a further article (9 pages) on the Mac in Correspondence Chess 159/60 (a double number, 2004/5).

IP Logged

flaviddude

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #13 - 11/21/07 at 07:53:45
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 01/23/07 at 18:37:37:
There was a book called "Remember the MacCutcheon" which is now forgotten. https://www.niggemann.com/detail/buecher/7085.html

(I haven't seen it.)

I own a copy but I would go for more up to date sources. As far as older sources are concerned French: MacCutcheon And Advance Lines by Harding 1979 is very good as a start point as it explains the ideas very well. Of course you are going to need to supplement is with more up to date sources. 

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #12 - 11/10/07 at 14:04:30
Post Tools
CBM 119 contains an excellent survey by Moskalenko on 6. Bd2, which i only recently finished working through. Hopefully Moskalenko makes this a series and gets around to covering 6. Be3 sometime.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #11 - 10/31/07 at 17:14:13
Post Tools
1. Are there any?

In 2001-2 the British Correspondence Chess Association arranged a thematic correspondence tournament based on the Mac. This was arranged in three sections; the top section was quite strong - it included future IM John Cox, a keen Mac player in his youth. The theoretical findings of the tournament were reported in issues 156/7 ( a double number) and 158 of the BCCA magazine Correspondence Chess. Back numbers might still be available. Try http://www.bcca.info.

IP Logged

Raspje

Play the dynamic French

Reply #10 - 10/31/07 at 15:33:06
Post Tools
Another interesting book about the McCutcheon was written by Tim Harding: Tim Harding, French:MacCutcheon and Advance Lines (Londen 1979). In it he analyses almost every line in the McCutcheon. Plus as a bonus he also covers 3.e5. The only disadvantage is its age: the book is from 1979...but I find it still useful. If I am not mistaken Harding later wrote another book about the Classical French, also covering the McCutcheon, but only brief.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #9 - 10/10/07 at 11:49:59
Post Tools
I have recently taken up the MacCutcheon with good results. I was losing faith in the Winawer, but didnt win enough with the Classical French....so the MacCutcheon seemed to be a nice mix of the two.

My sources are -

Martin's Foxy Openings video (good, but ...Bd7-c6 and ...Nd7 is solid but less active than the immediate ...Nc6 that I prefer. Martin's recommendation is prone to an early Rb1 by White making the ...Bd7-c6 manoeuvre difficult to achieve. Also, he doesn't seems to pay much attention to move orders in the main lines, recommending very different setups depending in which order White plays the standard moves Nf3/h4/Qf4 etc)

Classical French (Jacobs)
My main source, a very good book in general, but with a decent sized chapter on the MacCutcheon.

Main line French (Pedersen)
Again, a decent chapter on the MacCutcheon, albeit in the Gambit tree style anlysis. I prefer the complete game format offered by Jacob's book, but this is just personal preference.

IP Logged

kalle99

They say I have Aspbergers
syndrome.

Reply #8 - 10/09/07 at 21:49:46
Post Tools
I have the book "Remember the MacCutcheon" By James Eade .I like books where the author really loves his opening. This book is such book.
Krasenkovs book on the Sveshnikov is another book like this where the author loves the opening. James Eade not only loves the MacCutcheon but also the french opening as a whole. Inspiring reading.

James Eade is a correspondenceplayer who had the chance to play the MacCutcheon against a Grand master.He could hold a draw against GM Nick De Firmian.

"I Often see in chess forums people asking : " What is the current status of that line ?"&&&&Its a good reasonable question,but who can claim that he knows the answer ?!&&&&Semko Semkov Januari 2008

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #7 - 01/25/07 at 19:33:24
Post Tools
Quote:
Surely the complete French works (Psakhis, Pedersen) contain some chapters on this fascinating line?

They do: but nothing you'd call comprehensive. There was also something in a NIC Yearbook some time back, if I recall rightly. But a bespoke, dedicated MacCutcheon book - I'm really surprised nobody's given it a go.

IP Logged

IMRichardPalliser

Reply #6 - 01/25/07 at 12:20:51
Post Tools
Surely the complete French works (Psakhis, Pedersen) contain some chapters on this fascinating line? Neil's coverage, as ever, is also pretty good!

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #5 - 01/24/07 at 10:10:48
Post Tools
I've got that video, as it happens - it's good, though it does recommend the ...Bd7 line that (unless I mistake myself) gives White a draw by perpetual.

Buit it's strange that there's no books on it and apparently none planned. It's hard to think of another variation similarly neglected in print.

IP Logged

Darthmambo

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 01/24/07 at 04:06:29
Post Tools
Don't forget about the foxy video on it.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #3 - 01/23/07 at 21:01:22
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 01/23/07 at 18:37:37:
There was a book called "Remember the MacCutcheon" which is now forgotten. https://www.niggemann.com/detail/buecher/7085.html

(I haven't seen it.)

Forgotten? - I got it!

Iirc, it's more of a personal story with Eade's own games and some background to his tournament experiences with it, than an attempt at a 'serious theory book'. Probably still a good read/intro for anyone below say 2200 who's thinking about taking up the MacCutcheon.

Btw, he seems to have gotten his wish - as the MacCutcheon is much more common in practice these days than it was in '91!

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #2 - 01/23/07 at 18:37:37
Post Tools

(I haven't seen it.)

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #1 - 01/23/07 at 16:14:24
Post Tools
1. Are there any?

Until recently I was playing the Mac a lot in corres chess. My main print sources were:

Psakhis
Jacobs
Pedersen
New in Chess YB
Informator

There was also a useful series of articles in the mag Correspondence Chess a couple of years ago, reporting the findings of a strong thematic corres tournament.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo