Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Best King's Indian attack book? (Read 45177 times)
TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Re: Best King's Indian attack book?
Reply #23 - 03/07/17 at 08:54:26
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 03/07/17 at 08:37:25:
TD wrote on 03/07/17 at 07:16:22:
Why is this posted under "King's Indian"?

Yes, it obviously shouldn't be, but where should I move it to? It can arise from a French, ...e6 Sicilian, Réti, and many other openings. Maybe I should start a new sub-section under the French or Anti-Sicilians?
Suggestions are welcome!

Yes, that's a difficult one... Maybe a sub-section under 1. e4 ...?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #22 - 03/07/17 at 08:37:25
Post Tools
TD wrote on 03/07/17 at 07:16:22:

Yes, it obviously shouldn't be, but where should I move it to? It can arise from a French, ...e6 Sicilian, Réti, and many other openings. Maybe I should start a new sub-section under the French or Anti-Sicilians?
Suggestions are welcome!

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #21 - 03/07/17 at 07:16:22
Post Tools

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 03/07/17 at 06:02:38
Post Tools
Hello.

"how to beat the Sicilian defence" by Gawain Jones (Everyman Chess 2011) has a couple of fairly nice King's Indian attack chapters (he recommends 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d3). Nice reading if you happen to come across the book somewhere.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #19 - 03/06/17 at 20:51:50
Post Tools
Neil McDonald's KIA Move By Move is the first choice.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Sandman

Reply #18 - 03/06/17 at 20:19:09
Post Tools
Resurrecting an old thread, what is the current state of KIA books and which are the top 1 or 2 a newbie to this opening should pick up?

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy.
That's how far the world is from where I am.
Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

e2e4

Reply #17 - 03/28/07 at 18:41:52
Post Tools
Yussupov wrote some interesting about an opening repertoire behind the KIA in Yussupov/Dvoretzky 'Effektives Eröffnungstraining'.

Regards.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #16 - 03/28/07 at 18:26:36
Post Tools
I have the books mentioned previously, other then Emms' and would add KIA by Henley and Maddox as my favourite. I enjoyed about 5 years playing the KIA, first from 1.Nf3 and then after 1.e4, as I built up my e4 repertoire.
After 1.Nf3 the most annoying line I encountered was the symmetrical which is difficult to get anything against. I guess d4 going into the White side of a fianchetto KID is best.
Playing the KIA after e4 lets you build from e.g. an open game and KIA against the rest, adding lines against each semi-open game as you become interested in them.

IP Logged

JonHecht

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 03/24/07 at 19:16:48
Post Tools
He still has good annotations to a KIA game in 60 memorable, which you should own anyway.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #14 - 03/24/07 at 17:01:47
Post Tools
OK, fair point, Jenny and Ptero.

Well from the White games of Fisher in Mega 2007, there are less than 20 with him going Nf3 and into a KIA, and all but a couple of simul games are from 56-57.

There are only 3 total from him using the KIA vs the French after that period, '66 vs Durao, '67 vs Myagmurson and '68 vs Geller. Superb displays of his skill though they are, that is it.

There are more examples of him using it against the Caro-Kann, but still single digits.

So my point is that after his teens, Fisher didn't emply the KIA except as a very occasional surprise weapon.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

Ptero

When all else fails, read
the instructions.

Reply #13 - 03/24/07 at 15:40:35
Post Tools
Also not from Fischer's "teens", I recall Fischer-Geller, 1968 (1-0) (that's Uzi Geller, veteran Israeli master and former Israeli Champion - not to be confused with Efim Geller) as a model KIA game.

IP Logged

Jenny
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 03/24/07 at 11:10:52
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 03/23/07 at 21:57:01:
Jenny wrote on 03/23/07 at 17:12:43:
So the best way to learn how to play this opening is to study the games of those strong GMs that had used this opening before. (Fischer is one of them)

All the books quote the Fischer games, and excellent though they we're, he played the KIA in his teens and then abandoned it which to me says a lot more about the opening and what he though of it.

Well, Fischer-Miagmasuren was played in 1967 and he definitely wasn't a teen in 1967. Besides, there can be many reasons for a player to play another opening/line. With players like Fischer, playing something else instead of the KIA could only mean that he has found another opening/line which gives him more chances to obtain the advantage than the KIA has to offer. Not to mention the question of suitability.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #11 - 03/23/07 at 21:57:01
Post Tools
Jenny wrote on 03/23/07 at 17:12:43:
So the best way to learn how to play this opening is to study the games of those strong GMs that had used this opening before. (Fischer is one of them)

All the books quote the Fischer games, and excellent though they we're, he played the KIA in his teens and then abandoned it which to me says a lot more about the opening and what he though of it.

IP Logged

Jenny
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 03/23/07 at 17:12:43
Post Tools
Thr problem with the KIA, as pointed out by others above, is that there are so many different variations and plans that it is not easy to find a source that explains all the available ideas of the opening well. Especially given the fact that the KIA can be played against virtually every opening. So the best way to learn how to play this opening is to study the games of those strong GMs that had used this opening before. (Fischer is one of them) Instead of variations, concentrate on understanding the general pawn structures of the different setups, which square is best for which piece and why and the common ideas that are frequently used in this opening. (Eg. a4 combined with Nc4, Nh2 and f4/Ng4, h4-h5 followed by Ng5 and Qh5 after e5, the tactical idea Bf4 followed by Nxd5 exd5 e6 when the black queen is on c7, etc...) Last but not least, also have a look at which setup is the KIA least effective against and why. (It's least effective against the Caro-Kann setup with an early e5, for example...while it is quite effective against the French setup because white can play e5, etc...)

IP Logged

Eladar
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 03/18/07 at 22:02:28
Post Tools
I only play at freechess.org.  Is there anyone there that I should try to observe?  I am interested in learning how to play both King's Indian Attack and KID.

I've ordered Emm's book as well as Gallagher's books on KID.  Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have a better idea about what I'm trying to accomplish and how to properly react.

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo