Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Books Covering the Ideas Behind the Berlin ? (Read 20292 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Books Covering the Ideas Behind the Berlin ?
Reply #34 - 12/31/07 at 18:53:19
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 12/19/07 at 23:48:16:
Sure they do, but what many really don't fully appreciate is just how thankless writing 'good' opening books is given the transient and fickle nature of opening theory in general. One important new game, depending on the opening, can entirely diminish an otherwise decent effort by an author/authors.

Yes, and what's worse is that nowadays this game might be played even before the book has been printed and published! Sad

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #33 - 12/29/07 at 08:50:52
Post Tools
John Cox,

A considered lecture by Bryan Smith @ ChessLecture.com

on
e4 e5
Nf3 Nc6
Bb5 Nf6
00 Ne4
Qe2

which is very much worth a look in terms of your forthcoming Berlin text.

Best of luck with your writing,

Bibs

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #32 - 12/19/07 at 23:48:16
Post Tools
ano wrote on 12/19/07 at 23:01:13:
John

Thanks. Look forward to the book.

What area of the law do you work in and with what firm? I am a tax lawyer and I can't see how I could write a book outside hours given work demands- it would be too tiring. I suspect very few players realise the work and energy that goes into writing good books.

Sure they do, but what many really don't fully appreciate is just how thankless writing 'good' opening books is given the transient and fickle nature of opening theory in general. One important new game, depending on the opening, can entirely diminish an otherwise decent effort by an author/authors.

Tops Smiley  

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

ano

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 12/19/07 at 23:01:13
Post Tools
John

Thanks. Look forward to the book.

What area of the law do you work in and with what firm? I am a tax lawyer and I can't see how I could write a book outside hours given work demands- it would be too tiring. I suspect very few players realise the work and energy that goes into writing good books.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 12/19/07 at 19:07:33
Post Tools
I hope it will be finished by the end of February.

The reasons for the delay are boring personal ones to do with work and children. This is the trouble with amateur authors.

IP Logged

ano

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 12/12/07 at 19:46:51
Post Tools
John when will this book be out. Jacob Aagaard is saying April 2008 but of course it depends on when the book is finished. When will that be? Is their a reason for the delay or is it simply a case of too much to do.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #28 - 04/30/07 at 16:19:20
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 03/15/07 at 14:40:18:
Due to be delivered at the end of May, ano. I suppose it would be out three months or so after that.

Looks like October according to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Berlin-Wall-Variation-Brought-Kasparov/dp/9185779024/ref=s...

I love the subtitle...."the variation that brought down Kasparov"  Grin

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #27 - 04/11/07 at 15:39:36
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 04/11/07 at 11:46:31:
My hero! Thank you. Amazing collection the guy has too. Anyone looking at this thread and interested in chess books could do a lot worse than follow that link and browse.

You are very welcome!

He does have a nice collection of older books.  I was very happy when I was able to get the Wade, Blackstock and Kotov book on the '73 Leningrad-Petropolis Interzonals from him.  And that is only one of many examples.  I think he bought out the remnants of Chess Digest (Ken Smith's old operation) but I could be wrong.    I wish his website was a bit better to navigate around though. 

One other nice thing he does (or at least did) is to put those clear covers (like libraries have) over the dust jackets of all the hardbacks he sells.   A very nice detail indeed.

Btw, he also sells on ebay.  I forget his exact handle there but "Labate" is certainly a part of it.

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #26 - 04/11/07 at 13:22:39
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 04/11/07 at 11:46:31:
My hero! Thank you. Amazing collection the guy has too. Anyone looking at this thread and interested in chess books could do a lot worse than follow that link and browse.

That is a somewhat antique selection of chess books.  For example, on Alekhine's, he has Hort and Burgess but not Davies or Cox.  He has a number of very out-of-date Batsford books, the nice hardback editions with sections like "1143.212."

I hoped I would find the original hardback three-volume set of Kere's selected games, edited by Golombek, but no such luck.  If anyone knows where I can find that, I'd be much obliged.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 04/11/07 at 11:46:31
Post Tools

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #24 - 04/10/07 at 16:11:48
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 04/10/07 at 10:50:40:
I don't have it, actually, bibs. I wanted to get hold of it but for some reason second-hand copies retail at some positively absurd sum, so I haven't been able to get hold of it.

John,

I got my copy of the Shamkovich book from this fellow.

http://www.labatechess.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=170

I just spoke to him and he said he has about 4 or 5 copies left.  I think he said the shipping would be about $10 to the UK.

Btw, he said he could ship a couple books more w/o any additional charge, so you may want to look around at his site.

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 04/10/07 at 10:50:40
Post Tools
I don't have it, actually, bibs. I wanted to get hold of it but for some reason second-hand copies retail at some positively absurd sum, so I haven't been able to get hold of it.

If anyone wants to break the copyright laws and make me a friend for life, though, this is an opportunity. Message me through the forum if so.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #22 - 04/01/07 at 13:45:57
Post Tools
Cox-san,

regarding the 'bits off Berlin'
You have the Shamkovic book: 'Chess Terrorist's Handbook' I guess? Was mentioned somewhere else in this forum before.
If not, this may be of some help on the endgame-avoiding lines -
the
5 re1 nd6
6 Ne5
stuff is given a once over therein.

An unfortunate title, but written many years ago. Before all the mayhem and  pre-Jack Bauer. But dont get a Kalashnikov book out from the library at the same time. You may find yourself on a CIA watch list.

regards
Si

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 03/23/07 at 18:19:43
Post Tools
I don't think you know JP, Justin! Even at 21 or whatever age he was it wouldn't have taken him long.

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/23/07 at 18:14:27
Post Tools
Hello, are you considering the variation 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. 0-0 Nxe4 5. d4 Nd6 6. dxe5(White's choice) 6...Nxb5 7. a4 Nbd4 8. Nxd4 Nxd4 9. Qxd4 d5 10. exd6 (White's choice again, definitely offering a draw) 10...Qxd6 11. Qe4 Qe6 12. Qd4 ? if Black avoids the draw with 12...Qg6, then 13. Nc3 looks nice for White, e.g. 13...Bd6 14. Re1 (14. Ne4 Be7) 14...Be6 and then 15. Ne4 intending to remove a bishop. On Chessbase online there's a game with 15...0-0-0 16. Qxa7, but maybe 16. Nxd6 Rxd6 17. Qxa7 is fine for White ? it doesn't look so dull, anyway...
So in this variation, 10. exd6 looks like a draw offer by White, but what does it cost to Black if he declines with ...Qg6 ? Thanks for your variations !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo