Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How does Mr.Watson know...? (Read 6143 times)
g3g6
YaBB Newbies

Re: How does Mr.Watson know...?
Reply #13 - 03/20/07 at 11:19:13
Post Tools
James made nice work, he included some ideas from Chesspublishing /as minimum my refutation McNab/Videki variation in Austria attack, which i mentioned some months ago/ and included plenty of original suggestion or ideas. I wďll probably write little more soon...  Wink

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #12 - 03/14/07 at 11:03:50
Post Tools
Holbox wrote on 03/14/07 at 07:37:35:
Why do you use that move order? It might be because the 4.Bg5 line. I also have been toying with the modern move order but...., what about the Austrian Attack? White don't need to commit with Nc3 and can play c3. Does that line worry you?

I play both Modern and Pirc move orders for variety and flexibilty. They each have their pros and cons and I don't think one is particularly better than the other. I have dabbled with Hippos and a6 Moderns, and I'm not entirely convinced of their soundness but they seem to work. I think the a6 Modern against the Austrian is risky against a prepared opponent, but the main Pirc lines are sound enough.

Allowing c3 with the Modern move order is more annoying than worrying, especially if if White is content for a draw.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #11 - 03/14/07 at 07:37:35
Post Tools
Quote:
Both. I like to have more than one line up my sleve, but also because I've come across the move order 1. d4 d6 2. e4 g6 3. Nf3 Bg7 4. c3 where I'd transpose into a Pirc with Nf6.

Ok. I suppose you use Pirc Alert recomendation against strong oppositon and "the dull line" against weaker players. Why do you use that move order? It might be because the 4.Bg5 line. I also have been toying with the modern move order but...., what about the Austrian Attack? White don't need to commit with Nc3 and can play c3. Does that line worry you?

Thx

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #10 - 03/13/07 at 19:28:56
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 03/13/07 at 13:54:05:
There must be a Sherlock joke here somewhere Wink

Well there's the one about the tent ...

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #9 - 03/13/07 at 19:14:14
Post Tools
Holbox wrote on 03/13/07 at 13:06:01:
One question for JEH, what do you play against 3.Bd3 variation? Do you follow Pirc Alert recomendation? or you prefer to continue playing like a Classical Pirc?

Both. I like to have more than one line up my sleve, but also because I've come across the move order 1. d4 d6 2. e4 g6 3. Nf3 Bg7 4. c3 where I'd transpose into a Pirc with Nf6.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #8 - 03/13/07 at 14:19:55
Post Tools
Hi all,

Was gonna comment re Watson's comments on James' book but he got there first!

Do concur with James that h3 g4 better after black committed to c6.  As Watson esq. noted, c5 appears the sensible reply. Perhaps Mr Watson should read a bit more carefully before passing such ready judgment on people's books? Hope to see more considered comments regarding Pirc material henceforth.

Nakamura (a very friendly young man btw - he came over to Japan a few months back to squash us all.) Plays a lot of random stuff to bash weakies such as all of us in Japan and in blitz. Not sure how much to read into his blitz choices.

Re: Bd3 stuff. Bauer's the first book to have more than a passing mention. plenty therein: p147-164 about this - so maybe worth a shot for whites seeking to get blacks out of their respective books. Overall this book well worth a look.

cheers,

Si

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #7 - 03/13/07 at 13:57:06
Post Tools
US Chess seems  to have this book available for sale. I ordered one yesterday, but it has not yet shipped.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #6 - 03/13/07 at 13:54:05
Post Tools
There must be a Sherlock joke here somewhere Wink

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #5 - 03/13/07 at 13:52:33
Post Tools
Also interesting is 3. Bd3 Ktc6 intending 4. c3 e5 or 4. Ktf3/e2 Ktb4

IP Logged

James Vigus

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 03/13/07 at 13:31:01
Post Tools
Another very quick reply for now (without wishing to usurp JEH!): I like 3 Bd3 e5, which I haven't covered in my book (which begins strictly from 3 Nc3 g6). But Christian Bauer has written about this in his new book The Philidor Files -- that should be a useful and up-to-date source.

JEH - that's right, I didn't cover the specific line 4 h3 Bg7 5 g4 c5, since I don't think there's much doubt that this g4-plan is stronger after Be3 (and ...c6) has already been played.

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #3 - 03/13/07 at 13:06:01
Post Tools
Thx both (Mr. Vigus and JEH). Everything is clear now.

One question for JEH, what do you play against 3.Bd3 variation? Do you follow Pirc Alert recomendation? or you prefer to continue playing like a Classical Pirc?

Thx

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #2 - 03/13/07 at 12:45:29
Post Tools
The book was due out in the US at the start or March, so maybe he got a copy there.

Doesn't seem due here in the UK until later.

I doubt it would have space to cover every rare side line, even one Nakamura uses to bamboozle people with at Blitz.

But Chesspub's got the antidote anyway  Cool

IP Logged

James Vigus

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 03/13/07 at 12:44:05
Post Tools
Thanks, Holbox: The Pirc in Black and White was published a few days ago in the US, but as far as I know has not yet reached Europe. Perhaps it isn't obvious from a quick glance at the index, but I have devoted quite a bit of analysis to the h3, g4 line (the Archbishop Attack), mainly in what I consider its most dangerous form 4 Be3 c6 5 h3 Nbd7 6 g4 or 6 a4 intending g4. I think John Watson is quite right to highlight this line which theory has wrongly neglected for a long time.
I haven't yet had a chance to compare his analysis with what I have published--and I'll get back to the related discussion on the "Pirc" thread soon!
James

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

How does Mr.Watson know...?
03/13/07 at 12:05:33
Post Tools
How does Mr.Watson know what is "not inluded" in J.Vigus forthcoming book on the Pirc? Has been this book published yet? Please Mr. Vigus, take some attention on Watson suggestions.

A Pirc Fan.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo