Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Exchange in "Starting Out: QGD", Neil McDonald (Read 1658 times)
dsanchez

24.Nh1!?N

Re: Exchange in "Starting Out: QGD", Neil McDonald
Reply #1 - 03/17/07 at 16:13:58
Post Tools
McDonald introduces the chapter by explaining that the Exchange can come about by a number of move orders, but a typical line might be 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.cd ed 5.Bg5 c6 6.Qc2 Be7 7.e3 0-0 8.Bd3 Nbd7.

From this tableau, he says that White has 4 main strategic plans: Nf3 with Kside castling; Nf3 with Qside castling; Nge2 with Kside castling; and Nge2 with Qside castling.

It's hard to say precisely how much space is devoted to each plan. McDonald provides 6 games as "case studies" (which include ideas for Black such as Minority Attack), and then maybe one game each devoted to each plan mentioned above.

It looks like maybe 6 or 7 games with Nf3, 3 or 4 games with Nge2.

My impression is that the strategies and themes are very general in nature.  Again, a good book if you are wanting an introduction to these variations, but devotees of the QGD will probably want to supplement this with something more specific.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Exchange in "Starting Out: QGD", Neil McDonald
03/16/07 at 22:03:37
Post Tools
Hello All:

Believe there are 37 pages on the Exchange Variation in this book. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me how many pages cover this with Nf3 (instead of Nge2).

Thanks,

Gerry

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo