Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pirc - James Vigus' Book (Read 29647 times)
thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Re: Pirc - James Vigus' Book
Reply #14 - 07/10/07 at 09:24:52
Post Tools
Quote:
Just want to say that this is truly a great book and an easy read. I would thoroughly recommend it !

Me too  Lips Sealed

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 07/10/07 at 08:18:20
Post Tools
Just want to say that this is truly a great book and an easy read. I would thoroughly recommend it !

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #12 - 04/05/07 at 20:47:41
Post Tools
Yes, the American GM Robert Byrne seems to be a bit unlucky. Some English players stole the Be3,Qd2,f3 setup against the Najdorf from him.
Some old books (Pachmann) do give him the credit he deserves, though.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #11 - 04/05/07 at 11:10:37
Post Tools
By the way, i have heard 4 Bg5 called they Bryne variatoin in several sources. However, that name seems to be avoided in most Pirc boks.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #10 - 04/04/07 at 18:45:39
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 04/03/07 at 22:36:50:
One final thought - I was surprised to find the 4.Bg5 section so small. Am I the only Pirc player who gets trouble against that? Embarrassed

My worst score is against 4. Bg5. I switched to the Modern move order at one point to avoid it. I think my problem is that I've not settled on a system to use against it. I tried a "TN" from Pirc Alert against it (http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1163459869) and my oppenent refuted it over the board and I only managed to escape by pressing the tactical chaos button!

PiBaW notes the variation in Game 80 and marks it as ?! I thought I'd found a way through for Black, but I agree with James that if it involves the Bxc3 move then it's an admission that something's gone wrong in the opening.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #9 - 04/04/07 at 09:00:50
Post Tools
Quote:
Holbox, I feel the choice between 5...0-0 and 5...c5 is a matter of taste. If pressed, I'd say that Black has a theoretically easier time with 5...c5, but that's probably just another way of saying that my own taste is slightly more for 5...c5.

Well..., in fact i play the Pirc because I have a really bad memory. 5...c5 lines need too much memorization for me. I like to kill the f3 knight with my light squared bishop.

Quote:
The important point is that Black has a choice. And there are choices within the choices too 

This is really important. With the Pirc black gets a sane position against the Austrian.

Quote:
One final thought - I was surprised to find the 4.Bg5 section so small. Am I the only Pirc player who gets trouble against that?

Yes, i feel the same. It's the variation that I dislike more and the one I play with white..., just play 5.e5 (against 4...Bg7) is usually enough to get some little, but practical, advantage.

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #8 - 04/03/07 at 22:36:50
Post Tools
Well, I have finally gotten my copy. I have not digged deeply into it as yet. But through browsing, my impressions so far are pretty positive.

I can see already that it will make me rethink some of my thoughts about various lines. Vigus for instance makes a case for 4...Bg7 instead of 4....c6 against 4 Be3. There are some obvious tradeoffs, the obvious being the loss of tempo if White initiates a bishop swap. But in addition, I have found in these line, sometimes, albeit rarely it is benefiecial for Black to develop his bishop on e7 and that option is lost.

Vigus also makes a case for 6...Nc6 against the classical.  Undecided

But of course this is not a repertoire book, so all Black options are presented.

I was pleasantly suprised that this book is a complete game format which I always prefer to the traditional tree format. Studying an opening afterall is about studying complete games IMHPO. The explanations while not extremely detailed are still quite good. And the writing is of a high standard, possibly even good enough for the posters who recently  hijacked the "New 1...e5! book by Mikhail Marin!" thread.

One final thought - I was surprised to find the 4.Bg5 section so small. Am I the only Pirc player who gets trouble against that? Embarrassed

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #7 - 04/03/07 at 18:52:33
Post Tools
Quote:
Holbox, I feel the choice between 5...0-0 and 5...c5 is a matter of taste.

The important point is that Black has a choice. And there are choices within the choices too  Smiley

If Black's fate in the Austrian Pirc was hanging off only one line, I'd be less trusting in it.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

James Vigus

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 04/03/07 at 11:58:51
Post Tools
JEH, I hope your further reading will reinforce your first impressions... I'm afraid there isn't as much space for marginalia in my book as in 'Pirc Alert', but still I'd be curious to see the margins of your copy in a few months' time!

Holbox, I feel the choice between 5...0-0 and 5...c5 is a matter of taste. If pressed, I'd say that Black has a theoretically easier time with 5...c5, but that's probably just another way of saying that my own taste is slightly more for 5...c5. I've given equal space to both moves in the book. I haven't checked the statistics, but my impression is that the strongest players now tend to choose 5...0-0 more often. That may of course partly be because against a weaker player there is always the danger of an early forced draw in the main line with 5...c5. But still I don't feel this is a huge practical problem for Black. If we've got as far as 6 Bb5+ Bd7 7 e5 Ng4 8 e6 and I suspect my opponent of wanting an early bath after 8...fxe6 9 Ng5 Bxb5 10 Nxe6 Bxd4 etc, then I don't mind trying 8...Bxb5 (Game 14 in my book). So, choose whichever (5...0-0 or 5...c5) you feel more comfortable with. It's even better to have both up your sleeve, though that demands some memory-work.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #5 - 03/28/07 at 17:48:33
Post Tools
Holbox wrote on 03/28/07 at 07:48:25:
Which is Mr. Vigus personal evaluation of the Austrian Attack with 5...c5 and with 5...0-0?

Thx

With 5. ...c5 Black is theoretically sound after 8. e6 although 8. ...fe has the forced draw problem (not a big issue if you consider how much theory you need to get the same in the Najdorf PP or Marshall!) and 8. ...Bb5 is strategically risky. The line in game 15 (Korneev - Peralta 2004) needs careful study though. We looked at that line on this forum, and concluded that after the Pirc Alert recommendation, White's compensation for the pawn might be too good. The game James gives "improves" on this line for White, but ends in a draw. However his analysis offers 16. ...Kd7 which was also my idea in that thread and it's also in Explosive Repetoire for Black. 8. e6 is still very complicated and full of tactical chaos but the debate's not over for either side.

White's alternatives are covered which are ok for Black too, but maybe are better tries for White.

With 0-0, the alternatives to 6. Bd3 need careful study. 6. Be2, 6. e5, and the relatively new 6. a3 are covered, but 6. Be3 is most dangerous and James looks at 6. ...Na6, 6. ...c5, 6. ..c6, 6. ...b6 and 6. ...Nbd7 concluding that the first 3 are too passive, 6. ...b6 is problematic (although see the threads on this forum) and 6. ...Nbd7 is recommended. 6. ...Nbd7 is my choice too.

After 6. Bd3, 6. ...Nc6 gives White the choice of a nagging edge or a long forced line to aridity. Colin McNab seems to be good at grinding results out of these sort of positions, but they might not be for all.

6. ...Na6 is most popular, and James concludes that 8. ...Rb8 is risky due to 9. f5 (recommended by Khalifmann in OfWatA) and there is analysis here that will make one member of this forum happy, so he concludes that 8. ...Bg4 is therefore gaining ground.

So nothing radically new in James's conclusions, but it might put paid to the maliase about the death of the Pirc that hovers around this forum which James mentions too, and talks about in the introduction, basically saying that unless you are rated over 2650, the Pirc is fine.

My impression so far is that James has done a good job of retredding the old unfasionable lines and re-evaluated them as well as covering the new ideas and adding some improvements, although I've not had a chance to go over the book in detail yet.

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #4 - 03/28/07 at 07:48:25
Post Tools
Which is Mr. Vigus personal evaluation of the Austrian Attack with 5...c5 and with 5...0-0?

Thx

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

Sandstad
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 03/27/07 at 21:32:57
Post Tools
I've only had a quick look so far, but the book seems very good.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #2 - 03/27/07 at 19:35:39
Post Tools
Well havng been a Complete Pirc for over 20 years I hoover up anything produced on this opening. My copy arrived Today.

I advise that all players of the White pieces should STAY WELL AWAY!! Move along. Nothing to see here.

Right, have all those 1. e4 players gone now?... ok, for players of the Black pieces, just in case some people didn't follow my advice, you should pick up this book for all the yummy good stuff in here and to be prepared for the various nastiness you might have to meet from the White side. But prepared you will be.

thibdb13 wrote on 03/23/07 at 14:20:42:
Could someone tell me what is the content/summary of this book. Is it a good complement to Alburt's Pirc Alert? Are those who bought this book happy with it and why?
Thanks

Much as I like Pirc Alert, it needs a complement. and I've been filling the gaps in it myself over the past few years. However with this book, Dr V's done it for you. As well as the mainlines for both sides, important sidelines that have been recommended in various White repetoire books are given attention too. It's not a repetoire book, although there is a suggestion of one for Black.

The format is the usual Everyman one of each chapter having Intro/Complete Games/Summary. It sticks strictly to games after 1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6, the Pirc proper, so no Modern/Czech/Phildor transpositions/3. f3/3. Bd3/etc.

There are 3 Chapters (66 pages) on the Austrian with 5. ...c5, 2 chapters (77 pages) on the Austrian with 5. ...0-0, 1 chapter (22 pages) on 4. g3, 1 chapter (55 pages) on the Classical (including the neglected 6. ...Nc6 which James even recommends), 1 chapter (17 pages) on the "Accelerated" Classical (which is Dzindzi's recommended Nf3/h3/Be3 system) , 1 chapter (28 pages) on Be3/f3, a whole chapter (46 pages) to itself for the 150 attack, which includes the newly named Archbishop Attack (the wot? well get the book or read this forum),  1 chapter (26 pages) on 4. Bg5 and a final chapter on odds and spikes. All in all a heafty book (when the cd version comes out, I'll get that too).

Great job James  Smiley

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #1 - 03/23/07 at 21:54:40
Post Tools
Check out the threads "Pirc" and "How does Mr.Watson know...?" on this forum.

My copy's on order  Cheesy

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Pirc - James Vigus' Book
03/23/07 at 14:20:42
Post Tools
Could someone tell me what is the content/summary of this book. Is it a good complement to Alburt's Pirc Alert? Are those who bought this book happy with it and why?
Thanks

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo