Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Interested In The Tartakower Variation of the QGD? (Read 9426 times)
cma6

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Interested In The Tartakower Variation of the
Reply #15 - 06/29/07 at 13:58:13
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 06/29/07 at 06:03:57:
I believe the theory on the TMB is that it gives Black a solid enough position, but very little chance of winning against modest play by White.

I could be wrong, but White also tends to avoid the main lines because White's scoring chances are also rather poor. 

By "TMB", you mean Tartakower? And if that's the case, why doesn't Black just play the Lasker Defense?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #14 - 06/29/07 at 06:03:57
Post Tools
I believe the theory on the TMB is that it gives Black a solid enough position, but very little chance of winning against modest play by White.

I could be wrong, but White also tends to avoid the main lines because White's scoring chances are also rather poor.

IP Logged

cma6

Reply #13 - 06/29/07 at 00:25:01
Post Tools
Geof_Strayer wrote on 03/31/07 at 01:41:51:
Hello:

It seems to me that of all the major Slav, Queen's Gambit Declined, and Queen's Gambit systems covered here on ChessPublishing (and I know there are many), the Tartakower QGD has received some of the least coverage when considered in light of its theoretical importance.  It has occurred to me that it is possible the Tartakower isn't covered more simply because there is little interest in this system among subscribers.

The purpose of this thread is to try and gauge the level of interest in the Tartakower.  Please, anyone (particularly subscribers!) who is interested in more general coverage of the system, or in coverage of a specific line, make a post to this thread expressing your interest.  Perhaps if there is a sufficient response, GM Scherbakov might consider some coverage of the Tartakower in future updates.
Thanks.          -Geof

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm a subscriber and very interested in the Tartakower. It's odd that Black plays it so little since the last I heard, the Tartakower is consldered very sound for Black with some winning chances.
BTW, Geof, to which Tartakower book were you referring? Would you recommend it as a starting point?

IP Logged

Dragan
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 04/15/07 at 23:54:11
Post Tools
I am a subscriber and interested in Tartakower .Not even playing 1..d5,but having real problems facing it with white ( funny,but i managed to draw all 3 games ).

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #11 - 04/05/07 at 07:22:34
Post Tools
Count me in as well. I am starting to get a grip on understanding the QGD and the Tartakower is quite important.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #10 - 04/03/07 at 20:57:35
Post Tools
I seem to recall Tony Miles writing that 5. Qc2 was "championed by Eingorn and me."

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #9 - 04/03/07 at 20:34:01
Post Tools
poGGa wrote on 03/31/07 at 09:49:18:
I used to have problems getting an advantage against Tartakower and tried to seach for some ideas for white. Dennis Monokroussos has some interesting analysis here: http://chessmind.powerblogs.com/files/anand_nielsen_monaco06.htm

But then i saw the light and started avoiding the whole thing, now I play 5. Bf4. Many people also seem to avoid it by Catalan.

You can also avoid the Tartakover (and the Lasker) by playing 1. d4 d5  2. c4 e6  3. Nc3 Nf6  4. Nf3 Be7  5. Qc2, although that gives Black some other opportunities.  Or at least, you can avoid them in their ...h6 versions.  I've played this somewhat regularly and had good results.

After 5...0-0  6. Bg5 h6, promising is 7. Bxf6 followed by e2-e4 and 0-0-0, in some order.

Black can try ...Na6 and/or and early ...c5, but White has some tricks.  If I recall, this line is associated with Eingorn.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #8 - 04/02/07 at 08:37:09
Post Tools
Yes the coverage of the Tartakower has frankly been disgraceful - I´ve mentioned this several times over the last few years, but nothing changes it seems....

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #7 - 03/31/07 at 17:40:26
Post Tools
I would also think that the Tartakower deserves more coverage - I remember contributing to a thread previously -  http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1143302491 - which dealt with it, and at that time I was playing it myself and was interested to see that 14.Ne5 was posing some problems for Black.... perhaps there should be some discussion of this in an update, as some strong players appear to have been struggling to deal with this move, as others have pointed out here.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #6 - 03/31/07 at 15:33:05
Post Tools
Count me in too.  I'm a subscriber who'd like to see more Tartakower coverage.

I'm not sure that there's been much in the way of recent developments, but perhaps a more in-depth discussion of the 14.Ne5 lines?  IIRC, even Lputian stumbled here, losing to Ernst in the EU Cup.

LeeRoth

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 03/31/07 at 11:58:32
Post Tools
Geoff

Good idea to advocate that the Tartakower gets some scrutiny.

What is interesting to me is that Kazhimjanov has adopted it as one of his main defences and that he is playing dc in response to 8 Be2 which used to be Vaganian's favourite.

IP Logged

poGGa
YaBB Newbies

Chess :(

Reply #4 - 03/31/07 at 09:49:18
Post Tools
I used to have problems getting an advantage against Tartakower and tried to seach for some ideas for white. Dennis Monokroussos has some interesting analysis here: http://chessmind.powerblogs.com/files/anand_nielsen_monaco06.htm

But then i saw the light and started avoiding the whole thing, now I play 5. Bf4. Many people also seem to avoid it by Catalan.

IP Logged

Geof_Strayer
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 03/31/07 at 06:51:59
Post Tools
Hello Inn2:

The Tartakower is my main defense with Black, but I don't think I am sufficiently up-to-date on the theory to tell what games are theoretically significant or not. So I will just list a few of the games that I find interesting in the last year:

Anand-Nielsen, Amber Rapid 2006
Tomashevsky-Rychagov, Russia Ch 2006
Van Wely-Asrian, Olympiad 2006
Elyanov-Asrian, Olympiad 2006
Harikrishna-Ponomariov, Aerosvit 2006
Ivanchuk-Beliavsky, Geller Memorial 2006
Bu Ziangzhi-Asrian, Scheveningen 2006
Gofshtein-Kovacs, Austrian Op 2006
Lastin-Chebotarev, Russia 1st League 2006
Nyback-Boriss, Bundesliga 2006
Siegbrecht-Stohl, Bundesliga 2006
Rodshtein-Kim, World Jr Ch 2006
Chatalbashev-Georgiev, Bulgarian Ch 2006
Bacrot-Kazimdzhanov, Corsican Masters 2006 (both games)
Sundararajan-Short, Commonwealth Ch 2006
Bacrot-Ivanchuk, ACP Rapid Ch 2007
Shen Yang-Azarov, Aeroflot 2007

There are many more games in the same period between strong players that might contain interesting theoretical points, but as my most recent book on this opening was published in 2000, I cannot be certain about the present state of theory.

I note that, according to my search on the ChessPublishing, the last games analyzed in the Tartakower were two games from the 2004 World Champs in Libya.  Before that, you have to back to 2002 for three more games.  Five analyzed games in the last five years does not seem like a lot for a major defensive system that is still employed occasionally at the top level, and not without success.

That having been said, I do think that GM Scherbakov's 1.d4 d5 is generally of very high quality and understand that he has to focus on the most popular lines.  I am just hoping that there is enough interest to perhaps justify a little more coverage of this classic opening.

- Geof

IP Logged

sssthepro

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/31/07 at 05:35:37
Post Tools
The Tartakower Defense is not popular nowadays

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/31/07 at 03:45:55
Post Tools
Hello Geof,

i guess the problem is not lack of interest by subscribers, but a lack of any important games. can't remember any game of theoretical significance in the past 12 months. Maybe you can direct us to any important games to look at?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo