Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Strategic Opening Repertoire For White, 2nd ed (Read 67504 times)
JonHecht

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: A Strategic Opening Repertoire For White, 2nd ed
Reply #53 - 01/24/08 at 01:46:01
Post Tools
That sound disappointing. I suppose I will just stick with my first edition.  Undecided

Are any websites planning on reviewing it?

IP Logged

Black_Widow

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #52 - 01/18/08 at 02:10:37
Post Tools
I both have the first edition and since today the second edition. The first edition I really liked, but for the second edition I am really disappointed. The amount of added material is limited, and the majority of the book is a one to one copy of the first edition. Besides there is still no index of variations.

None of the holes in the first edition reportoire have been filled as far as I could check quickly. After 1 Nf3 d5 2 c4 basically only 2 .. e6 is handled. Except for the notes already present in the first edition.

Also unclear to me is why some of the new games added. Do they propose improvements, alternatives, or what. The explanation value of the new games, also vary from chapter to chapter. My first impression is that some of the new additions are rushed in.

To conclude: The book is still nice, but not much nicer as the first edition.

IP Logged

strawlegs
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #51 - 01/16/08 at 01:31:04
Post Tools
"I never saw the first edition of this book, despite the fact that I have been playing a lot of the lines it seems to be talking about with White

I am interested, if anybody can tell me, what the book gives after 1.Nf3 d5. Does it recommend 2.c4 or 2.d4? And if 2.c4 what does it give against 2...d4, 2...dxc4 and 2...e6 3.g3 dxc4!? ? "

The first edition gives 1Nf3 d5 2c4

Against 2...d4, 3g3 and a reversed benoni with d3, Bg2, 0-0, e3, and either exd4 or maybe Re1. Not a lot of detail was given.

Against 2...dxc4, he recommended 3.e3 Nf6 and a QGA transposition with a delay of d4 (effectively preventing Bg4)

He recommended not allowing 2...e6 3.g3 dxc4, but playing 3 d4 instead.

One difference between this and the Pritchett book is that it steers toward the Catalan. So the 1st edition gave 1Nf3 Nf6 2 c4 e6 3 g3
The Khalifman/Kramnik rep , and apparently Pritchett, gives 3Nc3 which goes towards the QGD

Also, the first edition used a reversed closed sicilian as an anti-kings indian approach

Anyway, combining Donaldson's concept with Hansen's thoughtful analysis and thorough presentation should give something really nice. I've been waiting for this one a long time.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #50 - 01/13/08 at 03:03:31
Post Tools
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I have both Davies' and Dunnington's books. My overall impression is that most tournament players wouldn't want to allow a reversed Benko or Benoni with an extra tempo for White...the QGD/Slav formations are more important.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

BlkSabb

Reply #49 - 01/12/08 at 04:58:30
Post Tools
I have other books that cover these gaps.  I'm ordering it as soon as it's available on Buy.com.

I can't wait to read it.

IP Logged

nyoke
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #48 - 01/11/08 at 20:47:10
Post Tools
In spite of what you write, it does seem the type of book I am looking for... Typical positions in stead of a bunch of moveorders.

IP Logged

Maturin13
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #47 - 01/11/08 at 02:29:17
Post Tools
Received the book today.

The good: 168 games, each covering about a page and a half. The emphasis is on middlegame play: typical plans are covered but there are also plenty of game fragments and variations showing alternate ways for each side to play. The annotations are a good blend of words and variations, the two complementing each other well.

The bad: As in the first edition, coverage of some variations is poor, especially variations other than 2...e6 after 1.Nf3 d5 2.c4.  2...dxc4 and 2...d4 each receive only a paragraph in the notes to a Catalan game. The recommendations are identical to those in the first edition (based on what's been said before in the thread.)

Coverage of 2...c6 is expanded, with 6 games in ...Bg4 and ...Bf5 Reti variations. But compare those 6 games to the 75 in the Reversed Closed Sicilian -- is the King's Indian 12x more popular than the Slav on any level today?

I'm looking forward to playing through the Reversed Closed Sicilian and Catalan games which are the heart of the book. It looks to be a great textbook in positional play. But as a repertoire book it's still deficient. It's disappointing that the authors did not flesh out White responses to the variety of defenses Black has at his or her disposal.
« Last Edit: 01/11/08 at 16:38:17 by Maturin13 »  

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #46 - 01/08/08 at 18:13:39
Post Tools
Yes, one must wonder what they now advocate against the Slav.  As I recall, the first edition had a little material on the Reti, plus a comment like "hey, you could also try the Exchange."  I've sort of wondered if any such book might advocate the Mikhail Gurevich e3 and b3 thing.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #45 - 01/08/08 at 16:50:34
Post Tools
"...with many more games and detailed explanations." You get more games.

"While I have gone through every page of this book, the lion’s share of the work was done by my colleague and fellow flank opening enthusiast Danish FM Carsten Hansen. I am particularly indebted to him for fleshing out the annotations to many of the games, particularly in the second half of the book."

This is the most important improvement for the 2nd edition. The 1st edition had very little on some important lines. Today, there are for instance so many players trying to achieve slav set-ups vs everything but 1.e4.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

JonHecht

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #44 - 01/08/08 at 14:30:21
Post Tools
Eh, the "more detailed explanations" part doesn't appeal to me. I thought that the explanations were fine how they were, and anymore would be overkill for the target audience. What I would like, however, is more games, as it seemed to skimp on, and even ignore, some rather important lines.

IP Logged

Maturin13
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #43 - 01/08/08 at 13:09:28
Post Tools

IP Logged

bearheart
YaBB Newbies

Reply #42 - 01/07/08 at 09:58:10
Post Tools
In the January 2008, "Chess Life" it is advertized as being for sale through the USCF, thus it appears that the 2nd edition has been published.   Smiley

IP Logged

JonHecht

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 01/07/08 at 00:10:21
Post Tools
Now I'm tempted to sell my first edition, as I can still get 70 bucks for it.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #40 - 01/06/08 at 17:27:15
Post Tools
Playing a strategic repertoire requires patience, so consider the waiting part of the preparation  Wink

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

JonHecht

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 01/06/08 at 10:52:01
Post Tools
Amazon says pre-order is available, but also says printing was the 2nd. Hmm, maybe it didn't arrive yet. Anyway, any info would be appreciated. Perhaps, dare I say, a review.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo