Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Strategic Opening Repertoire For White, 2nd ed (Read 96254 times)
slates
God Member

Re: A Strategic Opening Repertoire For White, 2nd ed
Reply #83 - 02/22/08 at 22:51:44
Post Tools
In the new edition of this book, which I'm currently enjoying, Donaldson/Hansen give 1.Nf3 b5 2.e4 Bb7 3.Bxb5! - 'White is already better'.   There is a game devoted to the line, but I should refer you to the book for more details rather than reproduce anything else they have on this.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #82 - 02/22/08 at 20:28:40
Post Tools
One might think that 2. e4 is best; I seem to recall (IM) John Donaldson giving it an exclam and opining that it is clearly better for White, though I think some sources think White's advantage isn't that large.

IP Logged

Mythos

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #81 - 02/22/08 at 20:20:33
Post Tools
Hi,

To those who play 1.Nf3 2.c4, what line of play (for white) is best after 1.Nf3 b5?

Thanks a lot.

FIDE 2148, USCF 2203

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #80 - 02/22/08 at 12:57:45
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 02/20/08 at 10:15:31:
Black_Widow wrote on 02/09/08 at 11:29:07:
In the excellent Chess Cafe review of Stephan Ham, he says: A Strategic Opening Repertoire is a diamond in the rough. With an Index of Variations, and better coverage of some lines, this fine book could have been a classic.

I completely agree, it is a rough diamond. Here we are ordering a couple of copies of the book for training youth players. Who all played 1 e4. They do not like studying opening theory, so this reportoire is a nice solution. Through the contributions of Carsten, the diamond has grown, but it is still rough.

I verry much appreciate analysis of complete games. And that it is one of the few books who have the courage, to advise the Catalan and other related openings. Personally the coverage of the reversed closed english in the book is very good, but I rather would have seen the Kings Indian fianchetto lines. Since they are more ambitious, just as the catalan.

I uploaded the new games from chapter 11 and 12. The games from edition 1 can be get from ossimitz: http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/gossimit/c/book.htm. What I did to solve the issue of not having an index of variations, I put all the games in a tree with chess base. And then it becomes easier to navigate the book.

The introduction to the second edition really mislead me. When I just received the book I counted the games from after 1998, which were said to be the additions. In fact there are several games more added from before 1998, so much more material then suggested. Not all the games can be found in the Megabase. It is also indicated that annotations by John Donaldson are indicated by (JD). I just found  once such an annotation in the book. So why is the remark then made in the introduction? Did he not read the second edition, or are not all his annotations put in the second edition. It only raises question marks.

So all in all, it is a very nice book, helping studying a strategic opening reportoire. But it does not give the complete reportoire, which would have made it an excellent book.

Ham repeats the thoughts by Watson and Baburin on the first edition. http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_jw/jw_strategic_opening_rep.html http://www.chesscafe.com/text/sor.txt

Diamond in the rough, some patchy sections, no index.

Dear Mr. CARSTEN HANSEN,

How possibly could you omit these things which bother you when you review openings book.

Why had you commit such omissions?

I can not understand this, believe me, I think that this is either double criterion or hypocrisy!!!

IP Logged

tbirdas
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #79 - 02/21/08 at 23:49:36
Post Tools
Thanks Alias

I was confused as most of the games given have a different move order. I guess after Nf3, c4, g3 and Bg2 black has to oppose with Bb7 in a QID setup, when d4 follows

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #78 - 02/21/08 at 12:58:49
Post Tools
Main differences to Kramnik series:

• KID with d3 instead of Bayonet variation.
  • Catalan instead of QGD
  • Reti instead of slav

With the move order in the book, black's bishop is already at b7 before white enters the Queen's indian.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 02/21/08 at 12:33:25
Post Tools
What line is it exactly ?
if it's a setup where Bb4 makes no sense, perhaps Ba6 will be pointless, but please post the line if it isn't too long.

By the way, what are the main differences (in repertoire) between SOR & the Kramnik series for an ignoramus like me in flank openings ?

IP Logged

tbirdas
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #76 - 02/21/08 at 00:55:03
Post Tools
Hi everybody,

I just got my copy - through Buy.com
It looks interesting, but a couple of questions came up.
In the QID section, it recommends a g3 line - keeping in line with the repertoire, but there is no mention of black's main reply  - Ba6.
Am I missing something?
Thanks

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #75 - 02/20/08 at 10:15:31
Post Tools
Black_Widow wrote on 02/09/08 at 11:29:07:
In the excellent Chess Cafe review of Stephan Ham, he says: A Strategic Opening Repertoire is a diamond in the rough. With an Index of Variations, and better coverage of some lines, this fine book could have been a classic.

I completely agree, it is a rough diamond. Here we are ordering a couple of copies of the book for training youth players. Who all played 1 e4. They do not like studying opening theory, so this reportoire is a nice solution. Through the contributions of Carsten, the diamond has grown, but it is still rough.

I verry much appreciate analysis of complete games. And that it is one of the few books who have the courage, to advise the Catalan and other related openings. Personally the coverage of the reversed closed english in the book is very good, but I rather would have seen the Kings Indian fianchetto lines. Since they are more ambitious, just as the catalan.

I uploaded the new games from chapter 11 and 12. The games from edition 1 can be get from ossimitz: http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/gossimit/c/book.htm. What I did to solve the issue of not having an index of variations, I put all the games in a tree with chess base. And then it becomes easier to navigate the book.

The introduction to the second edition really mislead me. When I just received the book I counted the games from after 1998, which were said to be the additions. In fact there are several games more added from before 1998, so much more material then suggested. Not all the games can be found in the Megabase. It is also indicated that annotations by John Donaldson are indicated by (JD). I just found  once such an annotation in the book. So why is the remark then made in the introduction? Did he not read the second edition, or are not all his annotations put in the second edition. It only raises question marks.

So all in all, it is a very nice book, helping studying a strategic opening reportoire. But it does not give the complete reportoire, which would have made it an excellent book.

Ham repeats the thoughts by Watson and Baburin on the first edition. http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_jw/jw_strategic_opening_rep.html http://www.chesscafe.com/text/sor.txt

Diamond in the rough, some patchy sections, no index.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

DoubledPawns

1.a3 e5 2.Nc3 Ba3 3.Ne4
Bf8 4.Ra5 Ke7 5.Re5#

Reply #74 - 02/20/08 at 10:04:21
Post Tools
I don't want to criticise the authors of this book, who obviously put a great deal of effort in, but wouldn't it be easier to obtain similar types of middlegame positions with the KIA? Of course, Black equalises easily in most variations, although below the international level this is not so important.

However, I would think that the author's recommendation of 1.c4, 2.Nf3 and 3.g3 offers better chances of a theoretical advantage, so I entirely agree with their choice over the KIA as being suitable for the higher-rated purchasers of this item.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something - Plato

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #73 - 02/20/08 at 09:33:03
Post Tools
Quote:
If only I had a job in paid in Euros and not in dubious shares of part ownership in aircraft carrier battle groups and Mesopotamian real estate.

Very funny!  Cheesy

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Black_Widow

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #72 - 02/09/08 at 11:29:07
Post Tools

The introduction to the second edition really mislead me. When I just received the book I counted the games from after 1998, which were said to be the additions. In fact there are several games more added from before 1998, so much more material then suggested. Not all the games can be found in the Megabase. It is also indicated that annotations by John Donaldson are indicated by (JD). I just found  once such an annotation in the book. So why is the remark then made in the introduction? Did he not read the second edition, or are not all his annotations put in the second edition. It only raises question marks.

sor2nd.pgn ( 17 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 02/09/08 at 08:07:17
Post Tools
don't forget taxes for import.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #70 - 02/09/08 at 03:03:36
Post Tools
alumbrado wrote on 01/31/08 at 19:39:18:
With the €:$ exchange rate being what it is, you may as well order it from the USCF site and have it shipped:

http://www.uscfsales.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=2505

At $29.95 plus $14.95 shipping, you're still only looking at about €30.

Tell me about it.  We love Britain and Europe, but with the dollar so far in the hole, we've given up plans of going anytime soon.  If only I had a job in paid in Euros and not in dubious shares of part ownership in aircraft carrier battle groups and Mesopotamian real estate.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Stephen Ham
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #69 - 02/09/08 at 02:45:16
Post Tools
The link to my Chess Cafe review is here:

http://www.chesscafe.com/Reviews/books.htm

The review will remain until Wednesday, when it will then be archived.

Yes, I had a lot of gripes about the book. Alas, it has no Opening Index. Nonetheless, I recommend it highly. Carsten put a great deal of effort into it.

All the best,
Steve

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo