Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sternest test of Gruenfeld? (Read 9592 times)
ubiyca
YaBB Newbies

Re: Sternest test of Gruenfeld?
Reply #2 - 04/09/07 at 23:45:36
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 04/09/07 at 13:18:00:
Pardon my miserable ignorance, O Gruenfeld gurus, but what nowadays is considered the sternest test of this defense?  The Nf3 exchange with 8. Rb1?  The Ne2 exchange with the exchange sac?  Or something else?

I would say this qualifies as a rather shallow question. Don't you have a database you could look at to figure out what strong players are playing? Anything more specific would require much more effort on my part. And I would hate to waste such effort.

vbhat.wordpress.com
IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Re: Sternest test of Gruenfeld?
Reply #1 - 04/09/07 at 21:43:38
Post Tools
Well in Starting out: 1.d4!, John Cox writes, "The Grünfeld is another defence where there is a clear consensus among GMs what is White's most challenging approach."  He then goes on to cover the 8.Rb1 exchange variation.  Since I'm no Grüfeld guru I don't really know, but I certainly think you've picked out the 2 variations that would get the most votes.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Sternest test of Gruenfeld?
04/09/07 at 13:18:00
Post Tools
Pardon my miserable ignorance, O Gruenfeld gurus, but what nowadays is considered the sternest test of this defense?  The Nf3 exchange with 8. Rb1?  The Ne2 exchange with the exchange sac?  Or something else?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo