Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Beating the Sicilian 3 by Nunn and Gallagher (Read 2276 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: Beating the Sicilian 3 by Nunn and Gallagher
Reply #3 - 04/10/07 at 19:06:47
Post Tools
You might consider Nigel Davies' "Taming the Sicilian" (g3 for White in the Open Sicilian).  6. g3 in the Najdorf seems rather respected at the moment; Semko had a post recently mentioning a line after 6. g3 e5 which led him and Kolev to choose 6...e6 for their Black repertoire book.  I believe the same line was the subject of a recent NIC Yearbook article.  There is also some interesting stuff after 6. g3 e6, for instance lines involving Re1, Nxc6 and e5 or f4 and later g4 and g5.  (I think the latter could end up transposing to a Classical Scheveningen, but with White having saved a tempo by g3, Bg2 and g4 instead of Be2, Bf3, g4 and Bg2.)

IP Logged

J-dog

Reply #2 - 04/10/07 at 18:32:41
Post Tools
Quote:
I am thinking of taking up the open Sicilian and am looking for a book which can give me guidance. I can update the theory later. Experts versus the Sicilian Bg5 v Najdorf is way to deep. Anyway I think the poisoned pawn variation puts that under pressure as regards getting an advantage.

If you are looking for an "advantage" vs. the Najdorf that is not "way too deep," then you are probably barking up a fig tree, i.e. a fig(ment of your imagination) tree.

If I was delusional, I would say that there might be 2 "not way too deep" methods of fighting the Najdorf with hopes of a little niggle: The Be3 line as recommended by McDonald in Play 1.e4!.  Here you respond to e5 with the positional Nf3, while responding to e6 with a transposition into the Classical Scheveningen (Be2,etc.)  Or, maybe the g3 line with Nb3 after e5, focusing on d5 control.  I don't know anything about g3 e6 in the Najdorf, but maybe something is possible here. 

That said, I am not delusional, and I don't think that either of these methods promises an advantage, while they both have their moments of depth and complexity.

I have both EVS and BS3 and if I had to pick one to use, it would be EVS.

I think, though, you would be best off finding a positional system that is fairly reliable, learn it, understand it, then outplay your opponents, regardless of the theoretical status of this or that line...

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 04/10/07 at 11:36:38
Post Tools
Well if you have experts v Sicilian why would you need Beating the Sicilian 3 which in its day was excellent but is significantly dated.

Commenting on similarities on the main variations- the Keres attack is EVS recommendation ,  EVS Golubev updates 9 0-0-0 v Dragon, Again Wells 6 Bg5 v Classical

I wouldn't say 6 f4 v Najdorf is any good which is BS3's line. Any anti najdorf you can't avoid the theory whatever line you go for.

Sometimes worth buying these popular guides if only to see what was recommended in the past.

IP Logged

akita

I Love ChessPublishing!

Beating the Sicilian 3 by Nunn and Gallagher
04/10/07 at 09:53:10
Post Tools
Can anybody tell me whether the lines in this book are still relevent. I know it will be out of date with the theory but are the lines recommended in the book still worthy of closer attention.

I am thinking of taking up the open Sicilian and am looking for a book which can give me guidance. I can update the theory later. Experts versus the Sicilian Bg5 v Najdorf is way to deep. Anyway I think the poisoned pawn variation puts that under pressure as regards getting an advantage.

All I need is for some of you strong players to inform me whether it is worth getting and can you inform me of the prposed repertoire against each system.

Many thanks.

Akita

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo