Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Nigel Davies Pirc DVD (Read 23579 times)
ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Re: Nigel Davies Pirc DVD
Reply #16 - 07/07/07 at 03:34:45
Post Tools
Grin Wow wonderful stuff man, could we get you to cough up some lines...maybe? Wink

Anyway, ...thanks for the info!

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #15 - 07/06/07 at 22:05:41
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 07/05/07 at 23:58:50:
1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.h3 0-0 6.Be3 a6 7.a4 b6

6. ...b6 is a better move order vs the Dzindzi line and pretty much sinks it if White thinks that it's no differenent to interpolate a6/a4. You'll see this if you compare his "Easy" way to beat the Pirc DVD with the Openings For White Explained lines. Boy, I hope people start playing this stuff against me.

Also Nigel Davies's Recommendation is 6. ...a6 and 7. ...Nc6 which Dzindzi doesn't even mention. I've not tried this myself.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #14 - 07/06/07 at 17:28:05
Post Tools
I'd be appreciative if anyone who owned the DVD could explore some of Davies idea against 4.Be3/6.Be3...thanks!

I made it a little smaller as this comment was way too big.

PS JEH answers your question it seems

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #13 - 07/06/07 at 10:28:23
Post Tools
I'd be appreciative if anyone who owned the DVD could explore some of Davies idea against 4.Be3/6.Be3...thanks!

The best coverage of this I've seen is in the Vigus book.
« Last Edit: 07/06/07 at 17:25:31 by Willempie »  

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #12 - 07/05/07 at 23:58:50
Post Tools
I'm not sure what conclusions you can reach from a repertoire book by Davies. He wrote a book on playing e5 against e4 in which he just simply transposes into a peaceful line against the Danish gambit, and yet in his new Gambiteer book he recommends it for white.

I don't own the Pirc DVD (although I'm very curious). I do however, have a copy of "The Dynamic Reti" where he states he agrees with analysis by Dzindzi that Davies found online. The line in question takes place in the dreaded Be3 variation, which I understand to be the biggest challenge to black. My copy of "Explosive Chess Opening Repertoire for Black" has stats that seem to indicate this.

1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.h3 0-0 6.Be3 a6 (c6 now on the next move followed by Nbd7 and Qc7 maybe better - me) 7.a4 b6 (this is recommended by Pirc Alert) 8.e5 Nfd7 9.e6 fxe6 10.Bd3 (Dzindizi's improvement over Ng5) Nf6 11.h4 and either

A) 11...Bb7 12.h5 Nxh5 13.Ng5 Qd7 14.Nxh7 Nxh7 15.Bxh7 Kxh7 16.Qxh5+ Kg8 17.Qh7+ Kf7 18.Bh6 Rg8 19. Rh5 with the threat of Rg5

or

B) 1...c5 12.h5 Nxh5 13.Rxh5 gxh5 14.Ng5 h6 15.Qxh5 Nd7 16. Nh7 Qe8 17.Bg6 Rf5 and 18.Qg4 "with a strong attack" -Davies.

Well those are two sample lines.

In anycase, I think the c6 lines are much better for black, although Davies tries to make this hopeless for black as well. I think he exaggerates. However, these positions are still difficult to play for black. Perhaps he should have spent less time on the Austrian and more on this on the DVD.

Another idea maybe to delay Bg7  and play c6, Nbd7 and Qc7 and then e5 without moving the dark square bishop. These seem to be the kind of positions that reward creative players.
In anycase,

« Last Edit: 07/06/07 at 17:24:58 by Willempie »  

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #11 - 06/18/07 at 12:24:33
Post Tools
Everyone knows Nigel Davies' opinion about the Pirc, which, by the way, it's not included in the DVD (you can see it in Dynamic Réti based in _X_, I'm sorry, I don't remember the name, studies published on internet). I think, in general, the DVD is enjoyable , what a piece of work!, but what do you think about Davies face expresion (rictus)?  Undecided Do you think that he is in love with the opening?  He seems really skeptical. Compare this with A. Ziegler's DVD about the French. Well, I don't know Davies, It might be his natural expresion. I would like to hear the opinion of someone who knows him.

Thx

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #10 - 06/07/07 at 19:15:13
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 06/07/07 at 00:38:45:
This DVD got a very good review at ChessCafe.com.  I have never actually bought a chess DVD before, but I think i will give this one a try.

Well with this DVD to get you up and running and Vigus's book to fill in the gaps and give you some more options you'd be off to a good start.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #9 - 06/07/07 at 00:38:45
Post Tools
This DVD got a very good review at ChessCafe.com.  I have never actually bought a chess DVD before, but I think i will give this one a try.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 05/23/07 at 07:16:35
Post Tools
Sometimes this line is mockcnglycalled the pits ! It really was when I lost to it !

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #7 - 05/23/07 at 03:07:03
Post Tools
JonHecht wrote on 05/23/07 at 01:09:51:
Because that would be too easy! Not to mention it is probably from a name or some other language. Stupid existence of other languages  Angry.

Uh, yes, it's named after a grandmaster (Vasja Pirc) from the former Yugoslavia, which was one of the world's strongest chess countries (like probably #2 at some times/by some measures).  I believe he was from Slovenia, which was the first part to become independent about 1991 (and is now the most affluent East European country).

IP Logged

JonHecht

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 05/23/07 at 01:09:51
Post Tools
Because that would be too easy! Not to mention it is probably from a name or some other language. Stupid existence of other languages  Angry.

IP Logged

Alien chess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 05/23/07 at 00:59:42
Post Tools
Why not just say pirc like it is spelled?  Shocked Huh

Chess articles, forum, annotated games, book reviews and more at Chess Chit Chat.com&&FEN to diagram tool
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 05/23/07 at 00:48:11
Post Tools
More like Pirtsj, with the i of is.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #3 - 05/22/07 at 23:56:13
Post Tools
I've always assumed "Peerts" is correct -- is that right?

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #2 - 05/22/07 at 20:08:55
Post Tools
I've watched this DVD now. The repetoire is heavily influenced by Chernin so there's a big overlap with Pirc Alert. The major divergence is the suggestions against the Austrian (5. ...0-0 with 6. ...Na6 and 8. ...Bg4 vs 5. Bd3 and 6. ...Nbd7 vs 6. Be3). A good choice.

Some of his suggested lines head for Queenless middlegames which might require a strong cup of coffee, although he gives sharper alternatives in some cases.

Plus you'll also find out how to pronounce Pirc (well except for a couple of slips).  I got that wrong for many years  Smiley, but then again, "The Complete Pirc" doesn't sound as funny a book title any more Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo