Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) studying ideas: Ruy Lopez. Game collections? (Read 12716 times)
belgian

Passionate about chess
and poker...

Re: studying ideas: Ruy Lopez.
Reply #14 - 01/08/11 at 04:47:56
Post Tools
cma6 wrote on 01/08/11 at 03:53:34:
I would appreciate recommendation of resources (books, website) for the Black side of the RL but not the Berlin.

I'd highly recommend "A Spanish Repertoire for Black" by Mihail Marin for your purposes. Other great books on the Zaitsev or Marshall feature more drawing lines.

IP Logged

cma6

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: studying ideas: Ruy Lopez.
Reply #13 - 01/08/11 at 03:53:34
Post Tools
I would appreciate recommendation of resources (books, website) for the Black side of the RL but not the Berlin. I know the Berlin very, very well. It has stood me in good stead over the years. I am an ICCF GM. However, I recently decided that I have to add mainline RL to my repertoire for the following reason.
   The Berlin is superb to draw against the very strongest White player. The Berlin also works very well for Black after he has equalized if White pushes too hard. However, against weaker White players who are determined to draw, Bl has no winning chances.

IP Logged

sharpplay

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: studying ideas: Ruy Lopez. Game collections?
Reply #12 - 12/12/10 at 15:42:40
Post Tools
To address the original question about game collections on the Ruy, I would also suggest 200 Open Games by Bronstein.  He has lots of Ruy games in there with his perspective from both sides of the board.

IP Logged

Phil Adams

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 12/10/10 at 12:41:58
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 06/23/07 at 10:58:17:
Quote:
I think Smyslov's games would be a good source for study.  The large two-volume annotated game collection Smyslov's Best Games published by Moravian has 44 Ruy Lopez games annotated by Smyslov himself.  I am also learning the Ruy Lopez, so I am no expert either.  If I remember correctly, I believe Kramnik gave high recommendations for the study of Smyslov's games.  Maybe Smyslov_Fan has some words on the subject.  Smiley

What is the difference between the one volume work "Smyslov's Best Games" by Smyslov translated by Peter Clarke by Hardinge Simpole a and this two volume work by Moravian?

Re: "Smyslov's Best Games" by Smyslov, translated by Peter Clarke and published by Hardinge Simpole. I think that this must be a reprint of a good book published in the late 1950s in descriptive notation after Smyslov won the World Championship. (It appears to me that most of Hardinge Simpole's chess books are reprints of such out-of-copyright classics.) I have the original hardback of this book in my library. I regard it as obsolete; if you have the Cadogan and/or Moravia books you certainly don't need it.

I can strongly recommend "Vasily Smyslov: Endgame Virtuoso."

Regarding learning the Spanish for White, I suggest:

Watch a good introductory DVD or video, such as John Emms's.
Start playing the Spanish in practice games. Note down any queries.
After 15-20 games, review your experience and refer to some good reference book for ideas/answers.
Play another 15-20 practice games.
Decide whether the opening suits you.
If so, refer to one or more good books and begin to map out a repertoire against each of Black's main defences.
Pay particular attention to the early sharp lines, such as the Schliemann/Jaenisch, which are very popular below master level and very dangerous if you are not prepared.
At the same time, begin to play through well annotated games with the Spanish by the great players mentioned above. Use these games as a basis for creating a file (card or electronic) of model games which illustrate particular aspects of play in the Spanish (cf Dvoretsky's "positional sketches"). Highlight the main learning points.
Begin to play the Spanish in long-play over-the-board games.
Look up the theory after each game, and do not "put the game to bed" without deciding, and making a note of, what you think you have learnt from it, and what will do differently next time!

IP Logged

BlkSabb

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #10 - 12/10/10 at 06:30:23
Post Tools
BabySnake wrote on 12/09/10 at 17:00:23:
Btw, does anybody have "Paul Keres' Best Games: Closed Games v. 1". There is a 1994 edition available, is it descriptive notation?

It's in algebraic.

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/10/10 at 05:49:46
Post Tools
Mastering the Ruy Lopez by daniel King and Pozetto has a lot of stuff.  It may be below you but it might be good to look through.  also Shaun Talbot has an old book on the Ruy. 
Zatara

IP Logged

BabySnake

Opening repertoire construction
underway

Reply #8 - 12/09/10 at 17:00:23
Post Tools
I realise this is an ancient thread but I would like to bring it back to life. Was thinking about these Smyslov books and did not actually know he played the RL that much (was it mostly from the white or black side?).
Anyway, John Watson in his review on TWIC says there is a lot of overlap between the 125 games and the two volume set with nearly identical notes. But the 2 volumes contain more than 300 games. Quite expensive but can be purchased together in hardback from Newinchess for € 52,75.

Btw, does anybody have "Paul Keres' Best Games: Closed Games v. 1". There is a 1994 edition available, is it descriptive notation?

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #7 - 06/23/07 at 10:58:17
Post Tools
Quote:
I think Smyslov's games would be a good source for study.  The large two-volume annotated game collection Smyslov's Best Games published by Moravian has 44 Ruy Lopez games annotated by Smyslov himself.  I am also learning the Ruy Lopez, so I am no expert either.  If I remember correctly, I believe Kramnik gave high recommendations for the study of Smyslov's games.  Maybe Smyslov_Fan has some words on the subject.  Smiley

What is the difference between the one volume work "Smyslov's Best Games" by Smyslov translated by Peter Clarke by Hardinge Simpole a and this two volume work by Moravian?

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #6 - 06/23/07 at 10:19:49
Post Tools
Thankyou all for your suggestions thus far.

X - thanks. I dont have any smyslov stuff. Will certainly get those tomes.

JEH - I dont have chessbase, but will buy soonish I guess. Have been using NICbase, which necessitates finding an internet cafe at tourneys! Thanks for the tips how to use when I do get it. Dont have the Khalifman Anand Ruy Lopez stuff - will look at getting them too.

Kylemeister - yes, I agree. i bought Jansa earlier this year due to recommendation on pirc thread. Some good stuff therein. Little known gem.

AD - thanks for the specific player recommendations. will get John Nunn book too if wife/ finance boss permits all these online purchases. I got hold of the Shirov DVD - illuminating. An engaging fellow is Mr shirov.
Bookshops - am in Japan. Almost no chess happening here and alas no chess books. Ho hum.

Thankyou all again,

kind regards

Bibs

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #5 - 06/23/07 at 10:11:35
Post Tools
Maybe Keres' games, he played the Ruy quite a lot. Alternatively there should be quite some annotated material in the various K-matches. Karpov played it as white against Korchnoi and with black against Kasparov, while Kaspy also tried it against Kramnik and iirc also Anand. Plus I remember there is a book with loads of Spassky games which should also contain quite some Ruys.

Also have a lookout for games by Sokolov, he always defends classically so he faces the Ruy regularly.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #4 - 06/23/07 at 00:32:38
Post Tools

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #3 - 06/22/07 at 19:22:40
Post Tools
Got chessbase? Create a DB with all the lines you want in (I've put in all the bold stuff from the Anand series) and set the repertoire tick box, Create a DB with, say, all games of players from 2500+, or whatever year span or player range you want, do a repetoire scan on it, and then plough through the annotated games for each variation.

Also I think there's a chess site somewhere where they do like monthly updates which includes a lot of annotated Ruy games, hmm, now what is it ...  Wink

I found the "Mastering the Ruy with the Read and Play Method" very useful, although not a game colleciton.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #2 - 06/22/07 at 16:37:16
Post Tools
This isn't a game collection in the usual sense, but I think Vlastimil Jansa's "Dynamics of Chess Strategy" (published by Batsford about four years ago) has some nice discussion (with games and game excerpts) of several Ruy lines/systems (Zaitsev, Breyer, Neo-Steinitz and Möller/Neo-Archangel/whatever you call it).  Basically focussing on "positional" ways of playing for White (e.g. the 12. d5 line in the Zaitsev).

I'll be interested to see Marin's new book, which as far as I know is a repertoire for Black in the Chigorin.

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #1 - 06/22/07 at 15:55:56
Post Tools
If you've got a bookstore with a decent chess section, my recommendation would be to check on collections of the great exponents of the Ruy Lopez. Capablanca, Spassky, Anand, and Shirov all played it on both sides of the board, and both Fischer and Kasparov were masters of the white side. I seem to remember John Nunn's Best Games having a numbe of Lopez games, since he played it from both sides as well. There are undoubtedly plenty of others, but those are the ones that come to mind

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

studying ideas: Ruy Lopez. Game collections?
06/22/07 at 10:56:57
Post Tools
Asking for advice:

Any suggestions for games collections which contain plenty of Ruy Lopez?

Have been punting other stuff for years (Glek, Vienna/Bishops), finally decided to do some proper study.

Had a look through past topics, couldnt find anything specific to this.

Regarding theory - just placed an order for Jonson/Erikson, Zaitsev book. Have Emms, Greet already for white.

Sorry if this appears a straightforward question to anyone, am aware that just about all greats played at least one colour of Ruy, but just could do with several games collections perhaps which contain plenty of Ruys to chug through.

To help with any book suggestions, my rating - on way back up to 2300, gradually. Playing standard around 2300.

Thankyou in advance to anyone who can take the time to advise,

kind regards

bibs

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo