Latest Updates:
Normal Topic approach to the English Opening (Read 1388 times)
Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: approach to the English Opening
Reply #2 - 06/28/07 at 17:27:33
Post Tools
Thank you for the answer,I have to play the next season in my club in our first team.Is it dangerous to start playing the new opening without knowing all the lines  there?

IP Logged

Paul123

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: approach to the English Opening
Reply #1 - 06/28/07 at 16:55:55
Post Tools
Yes, you should continue to learn the theory. This obviously helps you understand the deeper strategic themes of the opening, plus gives you the needed details of the critical lines. Playing the opening in skittles or blitz is a needed to evaluate your opponent’s typical response and will help you create ideas to spring upon them in OVB play.

I once heard someone say that only after you have played an opening several thousand times do you really know it….(probably true…)

In learning the English or other Flank opening concentrate on the “spring board effect” (knowing/understanding when it is the time to push your center pawns)  Many Variations in Flank openings depend on who can maneuver effectively the most. There really isn’t solid evaluations for many of these positions because everything is in flux (It is one of the major reasons I play Flak openings)  For example, Some lines in the following:  Symmetrical English,  Hedgehog, English’s KID just to name a few….a lot of gray areas where he who maneuvers into attack first gets the jump on the other guy.  Start coming up with ideas/plan of getting your forces from one side of the field to the other. Look at how NM’s, IM’s and GM’s maneuver in these positions and keep experimenting this will improve your analytical skills…

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

approach to the English Opening
06/28/07 at 16:26:24
Post Tools
Hallo,
my question is,whether it is better to waste time and learn all the moves and ideas for the English Opening or just play it and try to use a healthful brain to find the best moves? Huh
I  started to play the english Opening a few weeks ago and wasted a lot of time to learn the theory for the English opening,but when i tried just to play a variation  without any knowledge of the it I found the theory moves myself.
So is it really necessary to waste time for learning the theory?
And if yes,then only for special variations?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo