Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Scant Zaitsev coverage. (Read 4472 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Scant Zaitsev coverage.
Reply #6 - 07/13/07 at 17:22:42
Post Tools
I will keep my eyes open for any interesting Zaitsev games for the coming updates.

IP Logged

asmund
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #5 - 07/13/07 at 11:46:05
Post Tools
Olivier Renet wrote this in the October 2005 update:
In Anand - Adams Black played a very sharp line of the Zaïtsev variation of the Ruy Lopez. Anand accepted the challenge and went into the main line, and on the 23rd move he played a novelty that he had prepared a long time ago for his candidate matches with Kamsky! He won a brilliant game and seemed to have refuted the line. But it is not so simple, and when we analyse the game more deeply we see that it doesn't actually provide any advantage for White and is in fact equal - I could not find any improvement for White to gain an advantage.

That made me think that we will see the Zaïtsev coming back into top tournaments more and more. Bacrot and Nikolic are the leading players employing this variation with Black at the moment, although they are following the path of Karpov. This reminds me of the time when I was Karpov's second during the World Championship in 1990 against Kasparov. The Zaïtsev was in fashion and we were looking at it all day and all night!!!

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #4 - 07/12/07 at 23:07:20
Post Tools
asmund wrote on 07/09/07 at 23:52:03:
There have been real developments. Among others an important game between Anand as white versus Adams as black in the 2005 San Luis Tournament.

I seem to remember that Olivier analysed this game at the time, didn't he?

IP Logged

krugman

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 07/12/07 at 14:01:57
Post Tools
furthermore, there is a whole book devoted to it: The ruy lopez: a guide for black.
For instance, they say that 12.d5 is equal because of Bacrot's 21...Bd7!

An update on the Zaitsev would be nice indeed!

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/10/07 at 08:11:41
Post Tools
Although not as popular as it once was in the KVK days, there have been lots of games especially in the 17.....c4 and 17.........f5 lines. Also 12 d5 has been subject of serious debate too being a regular in players not wishing to follow the theoretical freeway of 12 a4. Too many games to highlight one in particular. Still very much alive !

IP Logged

asmund
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 07/09/07 at 23:52:03
Post Tools
There have been real developments. Among others an important game between Anand as white versus Adams as black in the 2005 San Luis Tournament.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Scant Zaitsev coverage.
07/09/07 at 16:55:51
Post Tools
Am I mistaken, or has there been very scant coverage on Chesspub of the Zaitsev Variation of the Closed Spanish?  The pdf book contains little, and it's mostly about 12. d5.  Concerning 12. a4, it says that this was thoroughly explored in the Kasparov-Karpov matches.

But really, have there been no big developments since then, in this critical system?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo