Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Chess Openings for White, Explained, GPA (Read 8048 times)
RedIvan
YaBB Newbies

Carthago delenda est!

Re: Chess Openings for White, Explained, GPA
Reply #7 - 05/13/16 at 14:29:43
Post Tools
After

1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. f4 g6 4. Nf3 Bg7 5. Bb5 Nd4 6. O-O Nxb5 7. Nxb5 d5 8.exd5 a6 9. Nc3 Nf6 10. d4 c4 11. Qe2 b5 12. Re1

Albert et al give only 12... Bb7 ending in an advantage to White. Instead,

12... O-O! 13. Qxe7 Qxe7 14. Rxe7 b4 and while Black may only be objectively equal, White scores a miserable 18% from this position in ChessBase.

White needs to deviate earlier, but I don't see any thing appetizing after move 6.

IP Logged

alberich
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 08/10/07 at 20:52:37
Post Tools
I personally don't like facing the Sicilain as White when I play 1. e4. My experience over the years from playing against this system is opponents have trouble facing anti Sicilain lines like 2. c3 or even unfamiliar with Ruy Lopez like responses like the Bb5 variations, immediately taking the knight on c6.

I was disappointed with the coverage in this book. I was indeed very surprised to see them recommending the Grand Prix attack against the Sicilian Defence. Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree here. I don't know...but is it possible the authors felt the system offered is best for people who "don't have time to study"?

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #5 - 07/31/07 at 07:09:12
Post Tools
Chessguy wrote on 07/30/07 at 21:10:17:
One could also consider playing the Grand Prix Attack only after 1.e4 c5 2. Nc3 d6 3.f4 against Najdorf players.

Even if one would then like to switch to the open sicilan, one then has to "suffer" 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Nf3 e5, which as far as I know is a pretty boring, solid and slightly passive more-or-less equaliser. Mostly that comment is based on a couple of Leko games on which he commented himself - maybe something has changed since then, but I could see that this might be annoying.

IP Logged

Darthmambo

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 07/31/07 at 01:48:05
Post Tools
I usually play it with Nc3. Yeah, those lines with e6 just don't make it fun. I was just seeing if I could get more info on the opening before giving it up.

IP Logged

Chessguy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 07/30/07 at 21:10:17
Post Tools
One could also consider playing the Grand Prix Attack only after 1.e4 c5 2. Nc3 d6 3.f4 against Najdorf players.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 07/30/07 at 20:25:48
Post Tools
See also

http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/kenilworthian/2006/08/grand-prix-attack-expla...

and the related

http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/games/java/2006/gpa-explained.htm

For the parts of COWE (especially on the Caro-Kann at chesspub) I have seen I must say I agree with Watson and Goeller. The authors systemetically neglect Black's best defensive options. I cannot call this anything but insincere.
Concerning the Grand Prix I would advise you to purchase Gary Lane's book (Batsford 1997). But even before this, I would recommend you to ask yourself, if you are interested in the lines 1.e4 c5 2.f4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 and 1.e4 c5 2.f4 e6 3.Nc3 d5 4.Nf3 dxe4. You see, after buying Lane's book these two made me give up the Grand Prix!

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Chessguy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 07/30/07 at 10:56:49
Post Tools
A review recommending the book here:
http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_reviews_jd/chess_openings_wh_explained.html

However there is a quite revealing book review here by John Watson. Search for Grand Prix in the text.
http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/jwatsonbkrev77.html

IP Logged

Darthmambo

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Chess Openings for White, Explained, GPA
07/30/07 at 04:42:55
Post Tools
I was wondering what does every one think of Chess Openings for White, Explained: Winning with 1. E4 coverage on the Grand Prix? Is it a good guide for white? Is there a better book out there on the Grand Prix? Do the lines they reconmend in Chess Openings for White, Explained: Winning with 1. E4  hold up? Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo