Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Radjabov best KID player ever? (Read 11232 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Radjabov best KID player ever?
Reply #23 - 12/24/07 at 23:25:31
Post Tools
H-HH wrote on 12/24/07 at 15:37:35:
Radjabov best KID player nowadays, but not ever.

Agreed, but Nataf is very good also not to mention Smirin. Being a KID player myself I learn lots by studying them all, they each play it in their own distinctive way.

Dang, I almost forgot to include Mark Hebden and Inarkiev, in fact there are quite a number of outstanding  KID players out there. I would have included Joe Gallagher as well except he is not such an active player these days but more of an author.

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

H-HH

Reply #22 - 12/24/07 at 15:37:35
Post Tools
Radjabov best KID player nowadays, but not ever.

French defence forever, Fide 2035.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #21 - 12/01/07 at 03:23:07
Post Tools
Yes,

My mistake! Embarrassed  I saw Gligoric as the author of a book in the King's Indian thread and just presumed it was a discussion of the Mar Del Plata book. 

GM Gligoric had a reputation as an excellent analyst before that book and his I Play Against the Pieces is rightly considered a good read if not a classic.  My apologies to GM Gligoric and others for my own misreading of which book was in question.

IP Logged

Hoppers

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #20 - 11/26/07 at 15:27:17
Post Tools

Alias,
        I assume that is what was meant.  The Mar del Plata book is one of the most blatant examples of a database dump that I have ever seen, whereas 'I Play against Pieces', is one of the best!  Matthew Sadler revied the latter in his old NIC column and said with regards to the Nimzo Indian that this was the best way he had seen to learn and understand a line, as opposed to just looking at theory and general ideas.

IMHO, the same holds true for most of the other openings the book covers as well.

1, "You very rarely sacrifice pieces"&&2, "That's because I spend most of my time losing them instead"

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #19 - 11/26/07 at 14:45:22
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 11/23/07 at 02:44:41:
I read Gligoric's book and was terribly disappointed.  I was glad I didn't spend money on it.  It contained almost no analysis that hadn't been published years earlier and he forgot to include any interesting personal anecdotes.  I recommend anything by Bronstein, Nunn or even the King's Indian book that Raymond Keene wrote over Gligoric's attempt to get a few $/Euros.

Are you talking about "I Play Against Pieces"? I've heard several players who like this book very much! The "Mar Del Plata" book had terrible reviews.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Lou_Cyber

"I didn´t understand that.
It must be true."

Reply #18 - 11/26/07 at 09:22:55
Post Tools
Of Gligorics books I only own "The Mar del Plata Variation". The famous first matches are well annotated, which makes it a worthwile buy. Regarding modern theory I had mixed feelings, most of the analysis given is only with annotations.

I had the feeling that Gligoric switched sides in the 80s from a KID devotee to a KID-crusher. Especially in the bayonet attack I cannot agree with his findings, which lead to an advantage for white very often. But of course I had the advantage to compare Radjabovs recent games with the analysis given in the book!

If you try, you may lose. If you don´t try, you have lost.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #17 - 11/23/07 at 02:44:41
Post Tools
I read Gligoric's book and was terribly disappointed.  I was glad I didn't spend money on it.  It contained almost no analysis that hadn't been published years earlier and he forgot to include any interesting personal anecdotes.  I recommend anything by Bronstein, Nunn or even the King's Indian book that Raymond Keene wrote over Gligoric's attempt to get a few $/Euros.

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #16 - 11/22/07 at 16:18:49
Post Tools
Mr Pie: Love all the clever-clever-I'm Dutch stuff. Is this a hangover from mercantile rivalry or something?
Thought we'd all got past that a few years back.
Bettie Serveert still going by the way? Great live band.

All
Anyhow, away from the playground, back to the chessboard.
Opinions on Gligoric's 'I play against pieces'? Worthy?

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #15 - 11/22/07 at 16:07:12
Post Tools
Sorry, hadn't properly read Lou's post and seen he mentioned Gligoric. So Bibs' answer is justified.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #14 - 11/22/07 at 16:00:52
Post Tools
Uberdecker wrote on 11/22/07 at 15:59:26:
You do have an answer to everything, don't you Bibs...

Mewonders if he knows what his nickname means in Dutch....

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #13 - 11/22/07 at 15:59:26
Post Tools
You do have an answer to everything, don't you Bibs...

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #12 - 11/22/07 at 15:56:55
Post Tools
kalle99 wrote on 09/30/07 at 21:29:41:
Not the best ever. But his career has just started! So...whoo knows ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO_KaLQag_8     The Kings Indian defender  with Terminator theme background sound.

1. Bobby Fischer
2. Garry Kasparov
3. David Bronstein
4. Efim Geller
5. Radjabov ...but he will climb

Joe Gallagher also knows alot about the KID of course. The croatian GM Cvitan and so on.

Smyslov and Tal played more KID's in their WC matches than Bronstein and managed an even score as well against Botters with it.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #11 - 11/22/07 at 15:48:49
Post Tools
Presumably somewhere in Belgrade.

Dunno. Have a look on Facebook

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #10 - 11/22/07 at 15:20:25
Post Tools
Where is Gligoric ?

IP Logged

Lou_Cyber

"I didn´t understand that.
It must be true."

Reply #9 - 11/19/07 at 09:56:58
Post Tools
Imo Radjabovs career is too young to qualify for a voting. Critical for a "best KID player ever" is imo lifelong devotion to the KID, important impact on the theory of the KID, perhaps tutorial influence regarding the KID with annotations and books and - last, but definitely not least! - a high performance with the KID.

Therefore I would definitely have Gligoric on my top 5 list (for inventing the Mar del Plata variation). Perhaps Eduard Gufeld and Gallagher should make it on the Top 10 to honour their teaching effort.

My top ranks would go to Kasparov and Fischer, because their KID dominated their opponents on most of their careers, and they refined theory and modern understanding of the KID. BTW Kramnik should perhaps be named as most fearful anti-KID-player ever.

Lou

If you try, you may lose. If you don´t try, you have lost.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo