Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 4 Knights (Read 5508 times)
urusov

Re: 4 Knights
Reply #9 - 08/10/07 at 04:13:59
Post Tools
I think the Four Knights still offers White attacking possibilities, and not just in the gambit side-lines but the "mainline" Spanish Four Knights with 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bb5.  I've put together a few articles on it which may convince you:
http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/kenilworthian/2006/07/sutovskys-anti-rubinste...
http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/kenilworthian/2006/07/spanish-four-knights-pa...
http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/kenilworthian/2006/07/spanish-four-knights-c4...
http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/kenilworthian/2007/07/spanish-four-knights-pa...

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #8 - 08/10/07 at 00:30:47
Post Tools
Chessguy wrote on 08/09/07 at 22:56:34:
nyoke wrote on 08/09/07 at 20:03:21:
There' salso the Mengarini. It's not agressive, on the contrary, it cuts down Blacks options...

What's that?

Good question.  I guess he is talking about 4.a3.  It's really annoying when someone throws around a name to a minor variation like this without mentioning the moves, especially in an international forum where different names are sometimes used for the same variation.  Really, how much effort would it take to type in the move?

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

Chessguy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 08/09/07 at 22:56:34
Post Tools
nyoke wrote on 08/09/07 at 20:03:21:
There' salso the Mengarini. It's not agressive, on the contrary, it cuts down Blacks options...

What's that?

IP Logged

nyoke
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 08/09/07 at 20:03:21
Post Tools

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #5 - 08/07/07 at 17:10:09
Post Tools
Thank you, MNb, it's good to be back...  Smiley

To make this post constructive, I would suggest that if you are interested in the Belgrade with 5.Nd5, then you should satisfy yourself that you are happy playing the lines after 6...Nxe4 and 5...Nb4 - there are no other critical tests to the soundness of white's gambit. (Yes, there are dull refusal lines which may equalise, but that's not an issue since they exist with pretty much every line - if someone wants a boring game they can almost force this upon you)

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 08/06/07 at 19:46:55
Post Tools
For anyone interested:

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1090841423/0

Long time no see, Craig. Nice to have you back.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #3 - 08/06/07 at 12:50:13
Post Tools
4.d4 exd4 5.Nd5!? is an aggressive option. However, whether it's 100% sound is a different matter - I'm pretty happy on both sides of the opening myself. If you're looking for gambit play, however, you could do far worse... Again there's a long thread here regarding the opening.

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 08/02/07 at 18:00:28
Post Tools
megazord wrote on 08/01/07 at 18:11:03:
Is the four knights still an aggressive option for white?  I Know there used to be a lot of tricky lines and gambits, has black found ways to play against those?

Really it depends what level you're playing at.  I think that either the Scotch or Spanish Four Knights set problems sufficient to cause an under-2000 player, or even a stronger one, to lose, particularly if he's the worse player.  Each is "aggressive" its own way.  The Scotch Four Knights looks to a very straightforward kingside attack with pieces in an open position (though there are ways of playing that try to emphasize Black's pawn weaknesses).  To win with the Spanish Four Knights you either have to grub for a pawn when Black plays 4...Nd4, or play a maneuvering game with a blocked center, typically with kingside attack in mind, if Black plays ...Bb5 and defends well.  If 4...Bc5 I recommend 5. 0-0 0-0 (5...d6 6. d4)  6. Nxe5 Nxe5  7. d4 Bd6  8. f4.

For young and improving players I would recommend the Scotch Four Knights before the Spanish version, just because I think understanding how to handle open positions is fundamental. 

As MNb correctly points out, neither of these systems is considered very challenging for Black to meet at high levels of play.  Oddly enough though, each has been in and out of fashion among the top players within the past 20 years. So how bad can either be, really?

You might also look at the Glek System, 4. g3.  For me though, that move is impossible to believe in.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 08/01/07 at 20:35:22
Post Tools
As far as I know - no/yes. 4.d4 exd4, 4.Bb5 Nd4, 4.Bc4 Nxe4 and 4.g3 d5 all lead to equality at least, with Black generating decent winning chances.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

megazord
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

4 Knights
08/01/07 at 18:11:03
Post Tools
Is the four knights still an aggressive option for white?  I Know there used to be a lot of tricky lines and gambits, has black found ways to play against those?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo