Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Weird "Open" Sicilian (Read 1460 times)
mad_knight

aargh!

Re: Weird "Open" Sicilian
Reply #3 - 08/08/07 at 11:19:48
Post Tools
blueguitar322, markovich,

Thank you for this.

I imagine White shouldn't hurry with ...dxc5, lest he ends up in a Q-less middlegame, something I'm not particularly fond of!
I guess either White should play along the line I suggested sub 2 in my original post.  Or Black could avoid this by playing 4 ...Bh5 instead of ...Nc6.  Then play could continue something like 5 c3 Nc6; 6 0-0 Nf6; 7 Re1..., and only after Nbd2 at some point would White be able to move his Queen out of harm's way without Black wrecking his K-side with ...Bxf3.

Right?! Cool

Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety - William Shakespeare

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 08/07/07 at 16:10:26
Post Tools
mad_knight wrote on 08/07/07 at 14:50:20:
I'm currently playing White in a game that started as follows:

e4 c5
Nf6 d6
d4 Bg4
Bc4 Nc6

and have the following questions:

1. Is this an Anti-Sicilian by Black?! Roll Eyes I'm playing on the Queen Alice site and they call it the Kopec system.  Never seen it before and found only 3 games in my database...

2. What do you think about the following continuation?:

Bxf7+ Kxf7
Ng5+ Ke8
Qxg4 cxd4

Any other suggestions?

3. I've come across other cases where Black doesn't play 3 ...cxd4.  What's the best play for White against these systems?

Thanks!

Just off the top of my head, I might consider 4. c3 or 5. c3.  An eventual pawn structure with no d-pawns, White pawns on c3 and e4, Black pawns on c5 and e5, is advantageous to White (who will often maneuver a knight to e3 and thence to d5), so ...e5 could always be met by exchanging pawns on c5, among other options.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

blueguitar322

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 08/07/07 at 15:37:42
Post Tools
If I don't get 3...cxd4 (rarely happens), I almost always play 4 dxc5...it seems to me that after that pawn trade, White gets some of the same advantages as in the Open Sicilian (free development, slightly more central space) without the strategic drawbacks (2-to-1 center pawn minority, open c-file for Black to get counterplay).

And - for the minute or two I looked at it, which isn't much - the line you give (Bxf7+) looks strong to me. Black can get his pawn back, but the e6 square is terribly weak and the knight on g5 is in perfect place to hop right onto it.

My $0.02

IP Logged

mad_knight

aargh!

Weird "Open" Sicilian
08/07/07 at 14:50:20
Post Tools
I'm currently playing White in a game that started as follows:

e4 c5
Nf6 d6
d4 Bg4
Bc4 Nc6

and have the following questions:

1. Is this an Anti-Sicilian by Black?! Roll Eyes I'm playing on the Queen Alice site and they call it the Kopec system.  Never seen it before and found only 3 games in my database...

2. What do you think about the following continuation?:

Bxf7+ Kxf7
Ng5+ Ke8
Qxg4 cxd4

Any other suggestions?

3. I've come across other cases where Black doesn't play 3 ...cxd4.  What's the best play for White against these systems?

Thanks!

Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite variety - William Shakespeare

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo