Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Which sicilian should I chose? (Read 3118 times)
Strategy_Rules

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Which sicilian should I chose?
Reply #9 - 08/21/07 at 15:13:10
Post Tools
very flexible , Inn2 Smiley

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #8 - 08/21/07 at 15:11:39
Post Tools
Strategy_Rules wrote on 08/21/07 at 14:07:30:
Quote:
If i were to play the Sicilian, my preference is now for the Najdorf.

Inn2, which line would you play with black against the english attack ?

whatever tony covers in the latest update (and which i can remember),  Cheesy
recently have been following Georgiev's lines in his book  too.

IP Logged

Strategy_Rules

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 08/21/07 at 14:07:30
Post Tools
Quote:

Inn2, which line would you play with black against the english attack ?

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/21/07 at 08:07:42
Post Tools
thanks for your advice,
I think I will take up the tamainov according to "the safest sicilian".

If this journey should not make me happy I might consider the normal dragon.

Playing the open sicilian myself the taimanov seems to pose more problems to me than the dragon,
in the dragon it seems to me I could have a constant slight positional advantage if I wanted to (not enough to win, but enough not to lose).  Also the taimanov set up is better suited against the grandprix attack and prevents Bb5.

Sveshnikov might be the best way to equalise, but I am not so sure if it is really well suited for winning,
also another drawback could be, many chose to deviate against it into more drawish lines,
c3 or Bb5 after Nc6, in the taimanov you are more likely to face an open sicilian.
but experience will let me know.
Najdorf is probably the best way to win against the sicililan, but the drawback is you have to know so much theory. Also most players of my rating are quite good prepared against najdorf, sveshnikov,
but not that good in regard to the taimanov ...

So I will play some sveshnikov on the board soon, just to enhance my chess knowledge a bit, and if my current Judgement of it I drawed from blitzgames should still be there, I will change to the taimanov.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #5 - 08/21/07 at 02:17:14
Post Tools
Why?
Kan:5. Bd3 is strong
Sveshnikov: 9. Nd5 starts to be annoying/boring after you play too many games in this variation...
Kalashnikov: c4 lines probably slightly better for White
Taimanov: seems to me black is slightly passive in lines like 6.g3, 6. Be3/7. Bd3, and White is not risking much after 8... Bb4 9. Na4 and can safely press.
Scheveningen: playing the Black side of Classical Be2/0-0 is too sophisticated.
Dragon: you either like this or you don't =)
Accelerated D: I like the White side of Maroczys not Black!

IP Logged

CapaTal
YaBB Newbies

Sac, sac, mate!

Reply #4 - 08/20/07 at 20:39:51
Post Tools
Well, I'm obviously biased being a lifelong Dragon player myself, but the Dragon is what I'd recommend.  If you're rated around 2000, that's not nearly the level where you need to worry about the Dragon experiencing theoretical difficulties.  I'm only rated about 2070 FIDE, so I don't mean this as an insult but just an observation from my own play.  (And it is very debatable about whether the Dragon has any theoretical difficulties [besides allowing a super-booked White to draw!], or whether this feeling is just anti-Dragon hype which you can take advantage of against all those weak players who think they can just randomly fling pawns and mate you!)  As far as tactics centered around attacking the enemy king go, I don't think there's any Sicilian richer than the Dragon.  Sure, it can be pretty theoretical, but I find that the theory moves are easier to remember than in most other openings because they actually make sense and generally straightforward is best.  Also, there's only one challenging setup (the Yugoslav Attack) to worry about, in comparison to like the Najdorf for instance where you have to worry about Bg5, the English Attack, and probably others I'm forgetting.  Well, that's my promoting for the day.  If you're interested, then I suggest checking out the Dragons forum and I'm sure that people there would be happy to help you with any questions.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 08/20/07 at 09:10:48
Post Tools
Either stick with the Swesh or go for the Taimanov. I dont think the Swesh is drawish at any level below GM, but the positions you get are very similar, so it may get boring after a while (on the other hand that may not be a problem at all with you). The Taimanov is much more diverse and allows for much greater flexibility in plans. Whence you wont need as much "theory" as with the Najdorf, but you need to "think for yourself" (your opponent as well btw) more. However in my experience it is quite easy to learn and start playing it. If you want to play that, you really need the Safest Sicilian book and start of with the quick repertoire sections.

As to tactics, I think the Taimanov is full of them, just of another type then in the Najdorf and Swesh. Due to the flexibility of the opening it is less sharp and there are less "typical" tactics (eg sacs on e6), but there are more "random" ones, which may directly impact your move choice. Eg in some lines you want to play both b5 and Nf6 but the order will depend on some tacticality a few moves later. With little studying you will quickly catch onto these possibilities.

In any case whichever opening you choose try sticking with it for a while and dont switch after some blitz experiences.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #2 - 08/20/07 at 08:42:20
Post Tools
You have Najdorf (with e6 or with e5), Dragon or Sveshnikov to choose from. Taimanov is Najdorf light. A fine opening line, but less tactical. Accelerated dragon is not for you.

I have played the Sveshnikov. Out of these choices, it's probably the easiest to learn. Few positional ideas. The bad thing is that it might become boring playing the same type of pawn structure over and over again. Few top players play the Dragon. You will have less new input, which could both be good and bad. Najdorf is probably the toughest to learn but possibly also the most rewarding. You can play it in different ways so you'll probably not become bored of it.

For Najdorf, you could try "The Sharpest Sicilian", "Mastering The Najdorf" or "Play the Najdorf, Scheveningen Style", for the Dragon, "Play The Sicilian Dragon". The best opening book I have ever seen is Rogozenko's book on the Sveshnikov. It's called "The Sveshnikov Reloaded". There's also a new book by Cox on the subject.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

JudgeDeath

I'm Wakko!

Reply #1 - 08/20/07 at 08:04:31
Post Tools
I don't know any Sicilian where there isn't a bucketload of theory. OTOH how many of your opponents are going to know it? But you still have to do some study - particularly at the start you need to play through GM games to understand the underlying themes. Playing Blitz games is a good way to get the feel of an opening, but you need to intersperse these with examination of what you should play.

That being said, I would have though that the plain Dragon, not Accelerated which allows White to play the Maroczy, would suit you. Firstly White has only two main choices, 0-0-0 or 0-0, and then in the main, 0-0-0, he plays Bc4 or he doesn't. The line is full of tactics, including the exchange sac on c3.

The Sveshnikov does have opportunities for tactics, especially along the g-file, if White doesn't know what he's doing. However I would be surprised if most Whites around 2000 didn't have a least one line against it that they were familiar with.

The Taimanov, the "safest" sicilan, has tactics despite the book name, but not as many as the Dragon or Najdorf. There isn't that much theory, but it can be confusing as in one line b5 (say) may be a better move before Nf6, and the next it's vice versa.

All IMO of course.

IP Logged

cyronix
Ex Member

Which sicilian should I chose?
08/19/07 at 09:38:43
Post Tools
Hi, so far I played najdorf, the acc. dragon and currently I am experimenting with the sveshnikov (but no tourneygames so far, only internet blitz).
I am tactically a very good player for my rating (2000), but I am not sure if this is so relevant for my choice of an opening for black.

What I didn't like in the najdorf, is you have to know so much theory,
also white has the choice to restrict you play completely playing Nf3 after e5 and play a4,
(I think Anand lately showed this line is quite playable in his rapid match against topalov).

The acc. dragon is solid, but you don't get much activity, therefore I abandonend it.

So now I am playing the sveshnikov, yet I do not know much theory,
but somehow your plans as black are quite easy, I seem to end up in good positions,
but so far I only played it in blitz, I have to wait until I can play it otb.
But I now I am hearing the sveshnikov is sort of drawish.
But I also want to be able to win with black, so I am not so sure if this is the right opening.
But of course I have to see until I make experiences in long time play on the board.

Can someone more experienced give me an advice?
Is there also another sicilian for me? What do you think of the Taimanov?
I am tactically very good for my rating (2000) and can also play endgames,
I want to be able to have good winning chances with black in the sicilian without knowing too much theory (like in najdorf where every move is crucial).

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo