Latest Updates:
Normal Topic ruy lopez , open variation (Read 7406 times)
joakimvitriol
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: ruy lopez , open variation
Reply #4 - 04/19/10 at 08:32:23
Post Tools
In 9.Nbd2 variation after 14...Nxb5

Jakovenko and Svidler tried 15.Qa4 so probably that is critical continuation.

In 9.Be3 line after 16...Kd7 we have this position

To my patzer eye if white survives blacks attack, better pawn structure will tell in the long run and according to engines evaluation white has enough defensive resources.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #3 - 09/04/07 at 16:34:53
Post Tools
Strategy_Rules wrote on 09/04/07 at 14:38:00:
Hi Markovich,
thanks for your reply. You indeed seem to have some experience with that system. I dont have much experience, I started to analyse it some days ago with database+computer; earlier I have played some training games with two chessfriends of me in the line you mentioned:

Quote:
Also 9. Nbd2 Nc5  10. c3 d4  11. Bxe6 Nxe6  12. cxd4 Ncxd4  13. a4  is giving Black some trouble -- there was an article in a recent NIC Yearbook to that effect, anyway.

Inspirated by the great game Shirov-Anand, mainz 2004 (I followed it with live-commentaries) I startet to like the variation 13...Bb4 14.axb5 Nxb5. Anand was a pawn down in that game, but his active pieces gave him full compensation in the complete game. What is considered / or what do you consider as critical after 13...Bb4 ?

Quote:
My understanding is that 9. Be3 Nc5  10. Nc3 is something of a problem these days.

After 9.Be3 black has some possibilites. GM Kritz suggested 9...Be7 10.c3 Nc5 11.Bc2 Nd7 12.Re1 Ndxe5 13.Nxe5 Nxe5 14.Bd4 Nc6 15.Bxg7 Rg8 16.Qh5 Kd7. However, Im really not sure if black has indeed enough compensation for his a little unsafe king and the worse pawn structure. Maybe I have to analyse this more thoroughly !? Did you have a look at this variation ?

Concerning 13...Bb4 I'll have to check my notes.  They are unfortunately not entirely current, since I didn't maintain them during the long period that the Zaitsev piece sac was depressing interest in the Open.

Actually I played one very nice OTB game some years ago with 10. Be3 Be7 and the line you mention.  My opponent didn't play a critical challenge to this idea, however.  My general impression is that Black is OK, probably not great, in the messy gambit position that should arise.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Strategy_Rules

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/04/07 at 14:38:00
Post Tools
Hi Markovich,
thanks for your reply. You indeed seem to have some experience with that system. I dont have much experience, I started to analyse it some days ago with database+computer; earlier I have played some training games with two chessfriends of me in the line you mentioned:

Quote:
Also 9. Nbd2 Nc5  10. c3 d4  11. Bxe6 Nxe6  12. cxd4 Ncxd4  13. a4  is giving Black some trouble -- there was an article in a recent NIC Yearbook to that effect, anyway.

Inspirated by the great game Shirov-Anand, mainz 2004 (I followed it with live-commentaries) I startet to like the variation 13...Bb4 14.axb5 Nxb5. Anand was a pawn down in that game, but his active pieces gave him full compensation in the complete game. What is considered / or what do you consider as critical after 13...Bb4 ?

Quote:
My understanding is that 9. Be3 Nc5  10. Nc3 is something of a problem these days.

After 9.Be3 black has some possibilites. GM Kritz suggested 9...Be7 10.c3 Nc5 11.Bc2 Nd7 12.Re1 Ndxe5 13.Nxe5 Nxe5 14.Bd4 Nc6 15.Bxg7 Rg8 16.Qh5 Kd7. However, Im really not sure if black has indeed enough compensation for his a little unsafe king and the worse pawn structure. Maybe I have to analyse this more thoroughly !? Did you have a look at this variation ?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/04/07 at 13:19:05
Post Tools
Strategy_Rules wrote on 09/03/07 at 11:27:11:
Hi !
I think about including the open variation of the ruy lopez (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Nxe4 6.d4 b5 7.Bb3 d5 8.exd5 Be6) in my repertoire for black, because it seems to be easy to get completly equal postions there with some theoretical knowlegde.
Well, right or wrong, thats my opinion so far.
Do you know any line (after 8...Be6) where you think white has an advantage

My understanding is that 9. Be3 Nc5  10. Nc3 is something of a problem these days.  Also 9. Nbd2 Nc5  10. c3 d4  11. Bxe6 Nxe6  12. cxd4 Ncxd4  13. a4  is giving Black some trouble -- there was an article in a recent NIC Yearbook to that effect, anyway. 

I played the Open for a long time, with good success, and I have an extensive set of notes on it.  While I like it for its aggressiveness and piece activity, I disagree that it's easy to equalize with it if White as well as Black has good theoretical knowledge.  Maybe "equalize" if you mean, "obtain a position where Black can probably draw."  But I do think that it's a good practical choice, since if White isn't up on his theory, it's fairly easy for him to lose.  He can lose against the active pieces; he can also lose against the queenside pawn majority.

One thing you should be aware of if you're looking at 9. c3 Be7 is that the hallowed Breslau Variation, 10. Re1 0-0  11. Nd4 Nxe5, is no longer considered sound.  The e-book available here suggests instead 11...Qe8 which appears to be OK.

Some of the more difficult lines to play are those where there has been an exchange on d4 with cxd4 recapture.  Often in the theory, Black's activity is supposed to be enough to hold the balance in these positions.  But having backward c-pawn on the open c-file is almost like being a pawn down, it seems to me, so it's important to keep your activity going.

Besides his queenside pawn weaknesses, Black has to be very wary of being attacked on the kingside.  This is especially true after ...Nc5 or ...Nxd2.  White has the pawn on e5; a kingside pawn majority; and pieces well directed to that sector.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Strategy_Rules

I Love ChessPublishing!

ruy lopez , open variation
09/03/07 at 11:27:11
Post Tools
Hi !
I think about including the open variation of the ruy lopez (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Nxe4 6.d4 b5 7.Bb3 d5 8.exd5 Be6) in my repertoire for black, because it seems to be easy to get completly equal postions there with some theoretical knowlegde.
Well, right or wrong, thats my opinion so far.
Do you know any line (after 8...Be6) where you think white has an advantage ?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo