Latest Updates:
Normal Topic questions on Evans gambit and Ruy Lopez (Read 1901 times)
pitbull
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: questions on Evans gambit and Ruy Lopez
Reply #3 - 09/23/07 at 23:25:48
Post Tools
Sverre Johnsen's blog (Sverreschesscorner.blogspot.com ) has alot on the Norwegian variation from earlier this year.

There are several entries from about Feb. 07 with alot of detail on various lines.

Hope this helps

Gary

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #2 - 09/22/07 at 20:53:33
Post Tools
It might be mentioned that the line in question 2, sometimes called the Norwegian Variation, has been played by Bobby Fischer.  One of his opponents (American IM William Addison; not sure what happened to him) played 6. d4, but as far as I know 6. 0-0 is considered stronger.

I was glad to see that Nick DeFirmian is coming out with MCO-15.  It seems that there is still a need/market for that type of book.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 09/22/07 at 20:34:55
Post Tools
I love questions which are stupid enough that I can answer them.
1. The easy answer to 4...Nxb4 is 5.c3 Nc6 6.d4 just transposing to 4...Bxb4 5.c3 Bc5 6.d4.
2. 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 b5 5.Bb3 Na5 6.0-0 and 6.d4 is considered good for White.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

pnerd
YaBB Newbies

I Love Chess

questions on Evans gambit and Ruy Lopez
09/22/07 at 14:13:59
Post Tools
hi,
i am quite new in opening theory. so my questions might sound really stupid. i apologize for that.

now my questions:
1. in the evan's gambit, if black plays 4...Nxb4 instead of 4...Bxb4, what should be white's answer? is that a bad move by black? why? or why not?

2. in the ruy lopez, what if black plays 4...b5 immediately after 1. e4 e5; 2. Nf3 Nc6; 3. Bb5 a6; 4. Ba4
what should the white's answer be after he plays 5. Bb3 ? i mean how should he approach the game after 4...b5 ?

"Life is too short for chess." - Byron

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo