Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) C42: Cochrane Gambit (Read 27344 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: Cochrane Gambit
Reply #8 - 09/26/07 at 15:18:24
Post Tools
Some comments by Watson here.

http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/jwatson13.html

I have a recollection of something in an NIC yearbook in recent years (by the Dutch GM Dmitri Reinderman, I think) alleging a bust to the Cochrane.  (It was probably a letter published in the "Forum," not a full article.)

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #7 - 09/26/07 at 12:42:03
Post Tools
What has Black done up through move three that could possibly justify White's sacrificing a piece?

I will concede that Black's success against this gambit requires preparation at home, but I refuse to believe that it's sound.  If I thought this would be played against me very often, I would take up the Petroff.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 09/26/07 at 07:02:50
Post Tools
Perhaps it is in the "Twilight Zone" (an intermediate classification that I think was used in a 1980s book on unorthodox openings by Joel Benjamin and Eric Schiller); in the last decade or so it has been evaluated as equal/unclear/compensation by some sources (e.g. ECO), while being alleged to be unsound by others (e.g. Watson) ...

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #5 - 09/26/07 at 06:59:24
Post Tools
I started to play this last year. I have done some analysis & studying (see also games by Vitolinsh and Fedorov). White can get an advantage if Black plays inaccurately. However, if Black plays the modern reply (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nxf7 Kxf7 5. d4 c5!?) it is difficult to understand what's going on as Black seems to find ways to return material and even sacrifice some more to gain the more active pieces. But I cannot advise you much on that as I have little practical experience (I, for once, wish I was facing more Petroffs!  Shocked).

Note: I don't know if you like the usual gambit play (i.e. play for open lines, quick development, etc.), but this is a quite different one as you prepare a slow build-up like a boa strangling..

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #4 - 09/26/07 at 06:51:18
Post Tools

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #3 - 09/26/07 at 06:49:06
Post Tools
By the way, this gambit cannot be unsound since Topalov plaid it against Kramnik at Linares in 1999.
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1255554

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #2 - 09/26/07 at 06:34:27
Post Tools
iirc Shirov has some thoughts on this in his petroff dvd.

at a less exalted level (any of us below say 2600) then may be a reasonable try.

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #1 - 09/26/07 at 05:54:48
Post Tools
If blacks is prepared against it, it can be tough to get an advantage with white. But most black players do not expect white to play this gambit. So, if you play it not too regularly, it could be a very dangerous weapon.

IP Logged

Fishy
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

C42: Cochrane Gambit
09/26/07 at 05:15:49
Post Tools
Hi!

I want to know if actually Cochrane Gambit is possible to play or theory think is dubious.
I see some games of GM Sulskis

Thanks

« Last Edit: 08/10/12 at 08:03:41 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo