Latest Updates:
Normal Topic I am learning the QG for black (Read 4128 times)
Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: I am learning the QG for black
Reply #8 - 10/08/07 at 09:40:58
Post Tools
Dont forget the even older ones either. Steinitz and Pillsbury (and Lasker) pioneered some plans in the QGD. Due to their opponents not being familiar with it you can often see the plan in full.
Eg the Pillsbury attack is something you rarely see nowadays, but it is always "there". You can often use the plan when black has made a slight error.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #7 - 10/07/07 at 09:14:53
Post Tools
Udav,

I strongly recommend learning the classic lines of any opening first.  The basic ideas of the Queen's Gambit can be learned by going over classic games that are extremely well annotated, playing the variations, then studying how you and your opponent could have improved. 

The old Soviet system for learning openings was to maintain a notebook with 50-100 of the most important games in a specific variation.  Modern databases make the notebook obsolete, but you can now play through thousands of games and store them on your computer for future use!  I'd start with the games of Rubinstein, Capablanca and Alekhin, then progress to the the way the QGD was played by the likes of Petrosian, Spassky, Fischer, Karpov, Korchnoi and Kasparov. 

While you are immersing yourself in the games of the great players of the past, play lots and lots of blitz games and save any games in which you see a new or unusual plan.  Go back and review those games with the aid of your best databases and machines.  It won't take you very long to get to the point where you are ready to read Khalifman's series or other commentary.  you will even begin to understand some of the current games that are played.   

By choosing such a main-line opening, you will guarantee that your repertoire will never get busted, but you will also guarantee that you will be working to keep up on chess theory for the rest of your competitive career.  This is a pretty exciting thought!

Good luck!

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 10/07/07 at 08:32:06
Post Tools
Thanks for your advices.
Well,I am sorry for the stupid question I have asked.
I searched for some QG books and know now that  the theory of the QG is too big and nobody is able to summarize the variations unless he has about one year time to do so,but then I would maybe already find something what I dont like about the QG and would wish to switch the opening again Grin.

Well, I want to switch my answer now.
Is it better to learn first the classic lines and then to try to go deeper and to learn the modern lines or  should I jump in this jungle of modern variations trying to understand the ideas immediately?

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 10/07/07 at 04:18:15
Post Tools
Hello Udav:

I would really try the Starting Out book by John Shaw.

Sadler has a chapter on lines where White plays Bxf6.

Take care,

Gerry

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 10/06/07 at 20:52:19
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 10/06/07 at 09:51:36:
I do not have any idea how to play all this variations.Could anyone summarize the analysis and ideas of all this systems?

I think you can play also instead of Bg5 immediately Nc3,what do I have to play then?

Anyone will need dozens of pages to answer this question. Will become something like Starting Out ....

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #3 - 10/06/07 at 12:23:29
Post Tools
Udav18 wrote on 10/06/07 at 10:35:24:
There is no book,which covers all the variations I need.
I am not lazzy ,I just have no time to collect all the information I need.So a forum is ideal to collect the beneficial information.

But have you looked at any books at all? Do you subscribe to Chesspub? Have you even done a search of previous posts in this forum?

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 10/06/07 at 10:35:24
Post Tools
There is no book,which covers all the variations I need.
I am not lazzy ,I just have no time to collect all the information I need.So a forum is ideal to collect the beneficial information.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #1 - 10/06/07 at 10:12:11
Post Tools
Buy a book on the QGD. See previous threads.

Surely this forum works to assist reading, not to supplant it. Therein lies laziness.

IP Logged

Udav18

I Love ChessPublishing!

I am learning the QG for black
10/06/07 at 09:51:36
Post Tools
Hi,
I am going to learn how to play the QG for black.
The System I want to start with ,is the QGD wich arises from the first moves
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 d5
I know ,that there are many ideas here,after 4.Bg5,I want to play h6 ,I think its called Moskau Variation .
Has anybody an idea how to play it?
also I will have to cover 4.Bf4 , 4..e3 and 4.cxd

I do not have any idea how to play all this variations.Could anyone summarize the analysis and ideas of all this systems?

I think you can play also instead of Bg5 immediately Nc3,what do I have to play then?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo