Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anti-Sicilian-Repertoire...for White!!! (Read 31454 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Anti-Sicilian-Repertoire...for White!!!
Reply #27 - 11/19/10 at 20:38:25
Post Tools
2.Nf3 and 3.d4.
Really, I loved to meet the Anti-Sicilians. But if you put a gun against my head I would probably say 3.Bb5.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #26 - 11/19/10 at 17:03:35
Post Tools
Scanning through the Anti-Sicilians section this topic seems to be the best to continue with a question to the participants here.

What is the most disagreeable Anti-Sicilian line for you as black? Please give the line and your rating when answering.

Background for this question: I never did any serious work on openings and want now to do something about it as I reach in cc a rating (21xx on lss.chess-server.net) and think now jumping from here to there and somewhere else ain't useful any more. Atm the moves 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 are followed by waiting on black's answer and playing either Bb5 systems or KIA or 3.c3 according to it. It works well as I never lost in the last three years. But I stumbled more into it. Now I fell it's time to plan the work at openings for the first time. Maybe I will ask the same question later in the open sicilian and dragons sections. But as I belong to the players always getting equal positions with white and slightly worse postions with black  Sad I don't care too much about the opinion "You must play the open sicilians to get an advantage with white." And I don't want to buy a repertoire book without first knowing what I want to study. This would be continuing to stumble into something imo.

Back to the question I hope some help from the answers: What's most disagreeable anti-sicilian for you (or chess your club mate) ?

Edit: I'm subscribing CP. So I can use the ebooks and pdf-files from the section if you hint to a special game.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #25 - 12/22/07 at 15:33:56
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 10/09/07 at 17:49:23:
I think there is only so much benefit one can reasonably expect from an Anti- Sicilian repertoire. If you want an advantage against the Sicilian you will have to play the main lines at some point.

Toppy Smiley

I stated the above sometime ago in this very thread and was challenged. Now we have the privilege to hear what GM John Shaw, a career long advocate of the Anti-Sicilians had to say in his very first Update for chesspublishing.com.

I am new to this site, but not new to the Anti-Sicilians as I have played most of them on both sides. My feeling is that having extensive experience of the Anti-Sicilians with White is more of a confession than a boast. Serious players in search of an opening advantage should be playing the Open Sicilian. Therefore, my approach is to assume that the reader is mainly interested in playing the black side, although I have a few thoughts for those who feel the need to play such lines with White. - GM John Shaw

I hate to say that I told ya so, but I told ya so.  Wink

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #24 - 11/20/07 at 22:29:46
Post Tools
Greetings,

kylemeister wrote on 11/20/07 at 19:09:19:
TopNotch wrote on 11/20/07 at 00:18:47:
Quote:
As an aside, I'm often puzzled at the 2. c3 Sicilian being called a "Anti-Sicilian", as it is no more so than is 2. Nf3, since they both prepare 3. d4. I'd be more inclined to think of 2. b4 as such!  Grin

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

Maybe we should refer to the Alapin as the Uncle-Sicilian instead.  Grin

Yes that was pretty corny I know, but what can I say.

Tops Smiley

I predict that it will not win Quote of the Week ...

...Depends on how bad his other ones are.  Grin

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #23 - 11/20/07 at 19:09:19
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 11/20/07 at 00:18:47:
Quote:
As an aside, I'm often puzzled at the 2. c3 Sicilian being called a "Anti-Sicilian", as it is no more so than is 2. Nf3, since they both prepare 3. d4. I'd be more inclined to think of 2. b4 as such!  Grin

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

Maybe we should refer to the Alapin as the Uncle-Sicilian instead.  Grin

Tops Smiley

I predict that it will not win Quote of the Week ...

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #22 - 11/20/07 at 00:18:47
Post Tools
Quote:
As an aside, I'm often puzzled at the 2. c3 Sicilian being called a "Anti-Sicilian", as it is no more so than is 2. Nf3, since they both prepare 3. d4. I'd be more inclined to think of 2. b4 as such!  Grin

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

Maybe we should refer to the Alapin as the Uncle-Sicilian instead.  Grin

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #21 - 11/19/07 at 23:03:31
Post Tools
Greetings,

When I was younger, I chose the Sicilian myself having become fed-up with e-pawn players choosing all sorts of other openings before I could get to my then favourite - the Marshall Gambit in the Ruy Lopez. Cool

From my point of view, I wanted to get a fighting game with Black - the closed openings, like the French and Caro-Kann, did not appeal to me at all. I know - the French does have a lot of pent-up energy, but you have to weather the storm first, something in which I was not interested.

I think that a lot of "Open" Sicilian players wouldn't fancy being transposed into a "Closed" defence like the Advance French.

I'd agree with others here that one should learn to play (main-line) Open Sicilians, if only for your own development as a player - who knows, you might discover that you play certain resulting positions well and thus realize that you've no need to avoid them. Wink

[As an aside, I'm often puzzled at the 2. c3 Sicilian being called a "Anti-Sicilian", as it is no more so than is 2. Nf3, since they both prepare 3. d4. I'd be more inclined to think of 2. b4 as such!  Grin ]

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #20 - 11/19/07 at 20:38:16
Post Tools
To me it seems less work and more interesting to develop a repertoire with the Open Sicilian based on say 6.Be2.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

urusov

Reply #19 - 11/19/07 at 11:21:56
Post Tools
I recommend Joel Benjamin's anti-Sicilian series at the Jeremy Silman website:
http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_opng_shrtcts/archive.html
It's free, so you can't go wrong....  Smiley

But I have to agree with one comment that someone made, that if you want the edge as White then you will sometimes have to play the open Sicilians.  I don't much care for the sidelines I've seen against an ...a6 and ...e6 Black set-up, for instance (including Benjamin's version of a Closed Sicilian), and think White has to play d4 at some point there to seek the edge.  The trick is to develop a repertoire against the Sicilian that gives you choices and chances, and where you control the transpositions.  You can't just try to find some "tabiya" response or Black's going to choose a line that makes you uncomfortable. 

You should also be happy with the potential transpo possibilities from any line you choose -- such as to the French.  That's what turns me off to the c3-Sicilian: I just cannot get myself to believe in or enjoy the Advance French as White and I'm not crazy about the alternatives when Black chooses an ...e6 and ...d5 set-up.  The straight c3-lines are just too commital in my opinion. 

Best to wait and see what Black does and only choose c3 set-ups where they are effective.  That's what makes the Bb5 lines so pleasant for White -- it gives him lots of choices.  The only problem is what to do against ...a6 and ...e6 set-ups?  Against those, I think you have to fianchetto, but I'm not crazy about the Closed lines with my Knight at c3 (if I wanted a closed position, I'd have played the KIA).  Check out these two articles for my suggestions, though I'm still of two minds here:
http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/games/java/2006/anti-paulsen.htm
http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/games/java/2007/anti-paulsen.htm
In the second article, I now think White can improve by 12.c3 or 12.c4, for instance.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #18 - 11/02/07 at 00:17:22
Post Tools
8...Nxf2 is a nice shot. You don't trust 7.Bf4 Na6 8.N1c3 either? Kindermann himself played 6.Bd3. I remember I did not like it, but have forgotten why.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

wolfsblut

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 11/01/07 at 16:59:47
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 10/31/07 at 21:30:40:
Try

http://chessgate.de/training/training_kindermann/training_kindermann.html

You will see, that 3.b3 b6 4.d4 is very dynamic!

Hi,
Oh yes- I know that stuff....- but since I found out the hole in 3...b6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Sxd4 Lb7 6.Sb5 Sf6 7.e5(!-Kindermann) Se4 8.Sd2 Sxf2! (and not 8...Bb4), I had enough- but perhaps Kindermann is right, when he writes, that there is much to find out. But I do not really think that this is a reliable variation for White....- 3.c3 is perhaps better.
greetings
wolfsblut

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #16 - 10/31/07 at 21:30:40
Post Tools
Try

http://chessgate.de/training/training_kindermann/training_kindermann.html

You will see, that 3.b3 b6 4.d4 is very dynamic!

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

wolfsblut

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 10/31/07 at 17:05:03
Post Tools
Quote:
There's also 3.b3 and 3.d3 with a KIA - Kaufman's repertoire book deals with both plus 3.Bb5.
Btw, 3.b3 often transposes to Bb5 variations unless black plays an early ...a6 of course.

Hi,
thanks for your advice/idea! But I really don´t like 3.b3 - there is too less dynamic in certain positions... so for example 3.b3 b6!? 4.Bb2(4.d4!?- perhaps not good enough for a reliable repertoire)Bb7 5.e5(Kaufman) Nc6 6.Na3 d6 7.exd6 Nf6 8.Nb5 Bxd6 9.Nxd6+ Qxd6 and White has the bishops- but a poor position in my eyes- no active plan available...!

greetings

wolfsblut

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/31/07 at 11:02:40
Post Tools
Yes, on 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. b3, 3...a6 is a standard trick to avoid Bb5. But 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 a6 c3 and 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 a6 3. g3 look comfortable for White. On the other hand, there is an italian-style anti-sicilian (the Milanese variation?) spreading after 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 : White plays Bc4, and then c3-d3-Bb3 in some order, has it been addressed here ?

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #13 - 10/30/07 at 20:37:00
Post Tools
wolfsblut wrote on 10/10/07 at 15:56:59:
Hello,
thanks for your opinions!
O.K.- good books about 3.Bb5(+) are available- I think the best is the Palliser-book.
But I have to commit, that 2...e6 makes me Undecided!
So I thought, that an skilled writer could explain a system (no 3.d4!!), which I can understand and just play! Have a look in the book about Ruy Lopez from Greet- fantastic explanation and detailed coverage!
At last: I think I give 3.c3 a go...!

There's also 3.b3 and 3.d3 with a KIA - Kaufman's repertoire book deals with both plus 3.Bb5.
Btw, 3.b3 often transposes to Bb5 variations unless black plays an early ...a6 of course.

Besides, even those who prefer the open sicilian should know how to play at least one of the big anti-sicilians as otherwise 2...a6 would be a problem...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo