Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anti-Sicilian-Repertoire...for White!!! (Read 40968 times)
Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Re: Anti-Sicilian-Repertoire...for White!!!
Reply #42 - 04/22/11 at 07:33:23
Post Tools
I just got the book "Experts Vs Anti-Sicilians" in my hands and i am very curious to see how it is compared with that new one by Everyman. From a first glance at the QC book i see that Avrukh deals with Jones' suggestions from his SO book and there are some fantastic chapters on 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Bb5 as both Jones and Dzindzi have promoted. The other thing i noticed is the Moscow variation when Greet's chapter deals with Bb5+ Bd7 Bxd7 Qxd7 and claims a micriscopic edge for White but we have Tiger's chapter in the other hand about Bb5+ Nd7 which looks crazy but sound. There is also Bauer's chapter on the KIA which i never liked for White and i consider it to be a weak system against a decently prepared opponent.

So, fans of the "Anti" systems can be excited!

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #41 - 04/19/11 at 21:11:12
Post Tools
Mythos wrote on 04/19/11 at 20:32:12:
Looks like a book worth buying, esp. for the Moscow and Rossolimo parts. I probably won't want to use the KIA either... at least not in the form of 3.d3. I've recently considered using lines with 3.Qe2 - intending the following scheme of development: g3, Bg2, h4, c3, Na3, d4, 0-0 (in no particular order).

You don't have to intend just one scheme there. 3.Qe2 is more annoying for Black if you adjust the move-order according to his setup. For example switch to the KIA with d3 and often e5 and c4 if Black plays it like a French, play h4 only against an early ...g6, and so on.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Mythos

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #40 - 04/19/11 at 20:32:12
Post Tools
Looks like a book worth buying, esp. for the Moscow and Rossolimo parts. I probably won't want to use the KIA either... at least not in the form of 3.d3. I've recently considered using lines with 3.Qe2 - intending the following scheme of development: g3, Bg2, h4, c3, Na3, d4, 0-0 (in no particular order).

FIDE 2148, USCF 2203

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #39 - 04/14/11 at 20:26:29
Post Tools
TN wrote on 03/30/11 at 09:17:47:
TalJechin wrote on 03/30/11 at 09:14:02:
wolfsblut wrote on 03/24/11 at 05:39:57:
TalJechin wrote on 03/08/11 at 08:51:41:
wolfsblut wrote on 10/09/07 at 15:33:52:
Hello,
now we had enough books for black about this theme! I want to have a book for white!
Quote:
A 3.Bb5 (+) Sicilian repertoire book could be a possibility though, some time in the future.

Who wrote this? It was Mr. Andrew Greet! - So i`am going:

Dear Mr. Greet,

i had a great pleasure to read your book Play the Ruy Lopez- in my eyes it is a fantastic book...thank you very much for that! Smiley
Now i hope you will write a book for white against the Sicilian: With 3.Bb5(+) and against 2...e6 something good...- perhaps 3.c3!?
What do you think? - i´am sure that you make a lot of people happy!

greetings

wolfsblut

What do you guys think about this plan? Wink

wolfsblut

Seems they've answered your prayers: http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/How_to_Beat_the_Sicilian_Defence%3A_An_...

Though yet another book recommending the KIA vs 2...e6 sounds more like How to bore the Sicilianites but maybe that's the first step towards beating them?!

Hi,
oh yes, my prayers are answered! ... and 352(!) pages- I´am really looking forward to that one!
greetings!
wolfsblut

I used most of this repertoire a few years back, but shelved it for two reasons: 1) in the KIA vs 2...e6 turning into a French, black can simply not castle or at least delay it until white has given up on an automatic kingside attack. And 2) the Rossolimo with 4.Bxc6 worked well for a while, but since you face the sicilian so incredibly often (especially in online blitz) it's gets really tedious after a while to never having the Tal-bishop to attack with and never enjoying the bishop pair...

So, I'd rather seen a book with many different recipes which one can choose from according to mood and situation. 2.Nf3 d6 3.c3, 2.Nf3 & 3.Nc3 2.Nc3 & 3.f4 2.f4, 2.Nc3, 2.a3 and so on, there are a lot of lines to choose from - and since the black player never knows everything it's usually more effective to play the player instead of playing the theoretical mainline - over the board at least...

Gawain covered the Grand Prix Attack and 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Bb5 in 'Starting Out: The Grand Prix Attack', so players who own that book will have more than one string to their bow.

Apparently, Gawain will soon release a dvd on the GP too - check gingergm.com for more info.

IP Logged

Arcticmonkey

Russell Peters ftw

Reply #38 - 04/03/11 at 13:56:51
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 03/31/11 at 09:04:17:
Beating Bologan in the Moscow was a good advertisment. http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7113

That is extremely ironic, as both are writing books on the Bb5+ lines for white. I think Bologans is already out now!

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #37 - 03/31/11 at 09:04:17
Post Tools
Beating Bologan in the Moscow was a good advertisment. http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7113

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #36 - 03/30/11 at 09:17:47
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 03/30/11 at 09:14:02:
Hello,
now we had enough books for black about this theme! I want to have a book for white!
Quote:
A 3.Bb5 (+) Sicilian repertoire book could be a possibility though, some time in the future.

Dear Mr. Greet,

i had a great pleasure to read your book Play the Ruy Lopez- in my eyes it is a fantastic book...thank you very much for that! Smiley
Now i hope you will write a book for white against the Sicilian: With 3.Bb5(+) and against 2...e6 something good...- perhaps 3.c3!?

greetings

wolfsblut

wolfsblut

Seems they've answered your prayers: http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/How_to_Beat_the_Sicilian_Defence%3A_An_...

Though yet another book recommending the KIA vs 2...e6 sounds more like How to bore the Sicilianites but maybe that's the first step towards beating them?!

Hi,
oh yes, my prayers are answered! ... and 352(!) pages- I´am really looking forward to that one!
greetings!
wolfsblut

I used most of this repertoire a few years back, but shelved it for two reasons: 1) in the KIA vs 2...e6 turning into a French, black can simply not castle or at least delay it until white has given up on an automatic kingside attack. And 2) the Rossolimo with 4.Bxc6 worked well for a while, but since you face the sicilian so incredibly often (especially in online blitz) it's gets really tedious after a while to never having the Tal-bishop to attack with and never enjoying the bishop pair...

So, I'd rather seen a book with many different recipes which one can choose from according to mood and situation. 2.Nf3 d6 3.c3, 2.Nf3 & 3.Nc3 2.Nc3 & 3.f4 2.f4, 2.Nc3, 2.a3 and so on, there are a lot of lines to choose from - and since the black player never knows everything it's usually more effective to play the player instead of playing the theoretical mainline - over the board at least...

Gawain covered the Grand Prix Attack and 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Bb5 in 'Starting Out: The Grand Prix Attack', so players who own that book will have more than one string to their bow.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #35 - 03/30/11 at 09:14:02
Post Tools
Hello,
Quote:

Dear Mr. Greet,

greetings

wolfsblut

wolfsblut

Hi,
greetings!
wolfsblut

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Reply #34 - 03/29/11 at 21:28:54
Post Tools

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

wolfsblut

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 03/24/11 at 05:39:57
Post Tools
Hello,
Quote:

Dear Mr. Greet,

greetings

wolfsblut

wolfsblut

Hi,
greetings!
wolfsblut

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #32 - 03/08/11 at 18:40:44
Post Tools
This is the same repertoire Euwe already recommended around 1970.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #31 - 03/08/11 at 08:51:41
Post Tools
Hello,
Quote:

Dear Mr. Greet,

greetings

wolfsblut

wolfsblut

IP Logged

Meat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 11/23/10 at 10:03:43
Post Tools
Dragan Glas wrote on 11/19/07 at 23:03:31:
I'd agree with others here that one should learn to play (main-line) Open Sicilians, if only for your own development as a player - who knows, you might discover that you play certain resulting positions well and thus realize that you've no need to avoid them. Wink

This.
I was a 1. d4 player and gave 1. e4 a try in some training games. I soon realized that I'm extremely good at handling Najdorf Bg5 and Scheveningen Keres Attack type positions, despite hardly knowing any theory or model games. I started blowing people off the board against whom I struggled in any line after 1.d4.
Result is that I now play both first moves and enjoy facing the Sicilian with the Open, despite not having studied it much.
So I agree, people should try the Open. White often gets space and activity and his position is a joy to play then.

IP Logged

Raffie
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 11/22/10 at 09:08:12
Post Tools
I always hated most of the anti-sicilians. On internet I tried the anti-sicilians based on the section of Ftacnik in GM rep 6.

My experiences:
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5 Bd7 4.Bxd7 Qxd7 5.c4 it seems for me in practice that black has almost zero winning chances while white can pull a little bit for a long time. I consider to play 3...Nd7 in future.

1.e4 c5 2.c3 d6 3.d4 Nf6 4.Ld3 g6 maybe I don't have the right feeling for the positions but my feeling is that white has a space advantage and his play is easier. I think I go back to my old reportoire with 2...Nf6

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 d6 3.f4 I used to play the grandprix with 2...Nc6 and g6, e6, Nge7 and d5 which gave me always easy play.
My experience is that this is messy. Sometimes it's ok for black and sometimes I get less grip on the white position.

The 4.Qxd4 variation was exellent covered in the book and gave me nice play.

I think that if someone masters the typical plans, ideas and structures of some anti-sicilian systems that he/she can't objectively count on an advantage but in practice has some weapons to pose a lot of problems.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #28 - 11/19/10 at 21:29:21
Post Tools
- 3.Bb5 (good reason to choose 2...e6 or 2...g6 if possible!)

- 2/3.c3

- After 2...e6, the sneaky lines 3.g3 and 3.Qe2 require precision from Black (since White can still choose to play c3-d4 instead of the KIA d3).

There are other Anti-Sicilians that are perfectly playable for White but I'm also happy to face them as Black - unbalanced lines with chances for both sides like the Grand Prix Attack, the Closed Sicilian, the 2./3.b3 lines etc. Most Sicilian players dislike simplified or passive positions - they want a fight first of all.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo