Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Endgame Improvement (Read 56919 times)
TN
God Member

Re: Endgame Improvement
Reply #60 - 08/21/17 at 07:59:39
Post Tools
There really are a lot of ways one can study the endgame. Rene's method of asking questions (why this move? why not that move?) is one of the most effective, and not just for endgame study.

Regarding the initial question, I think a common reason for a weak endgame is a lack of practice. In the OP's case it was that he was usually winning before the endgame and hadn't built up the necessary experience to adjust from 'middlegame mode' to 'endgame mode', but you could also take the case of young players who fall into the habit of offering a draw because they find the endgame boring or don't have any idea how to win.

For that reason, playing out the Chess.com endgame drills would be a logical step - I know it helped me in this area.

If one is still stuck in the endgame after following some of the suggestions in this thread, it may be that you are overcomplicating things. Then I can suggest a simple approach:

Is the endgame dynamic or strategic?

If it's strategic, the priorities are:

- Piece activity
- Creating/fixing/liquidating weaknesses. Note that a passed pawn of ours counts as weakness for the opponent, as they will have to place a piece to stop our pawn queening.
- Stopping the opponent's counterplay
- Exchanging (if you think the more simplified position is winning)

If it's dynamic, then concrete calculation is the most important, so we may add the following:

- Forcing tries
- Pushing/creating passed pawns
- King safety (if there's more than 8 pawns worth of non-pawn material on the board)
- Prophylaxis (anticipating the most unpleasant idea of the opponent)

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

passiffity
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #59 - 07/30/17 at 19:26:20
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 07/28/17 at 17:11:49:
One thing about studying technical endgames, and K + Pawn studies, is that after doing that for a while, I always feel a great clarity of thought come over my play.  I "see" things better in all phases of the game, solve tactical problems better, can calculate better, etc.  I'm really in the pro-endgame camp, personally.

Thanks guys, have read people discussing the kind of crossover you both write about and which ErictheRed illustrates so well in the above quote.  With my poor memory I've no illusions but am hopeful that along with improving my endgame there might be a little of this as well. =)

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #58 - 07/29/17 at 11:17:45
Post Tools
I didn't do solitaire chess with them, but what I did do was annotate them. I wrote in the book every question I had and  investigated without a computer  until I had the answer, which I wrote down next to it. What's the point of this move? What if x.... But why not y?

This worked for me. Plus when I reread the book I can see what I was thinking and how far I've come (what was a question then is obvious now).
« Last Edit: 07/29/17 at 14:58:13 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #57 - 07/28/17 at 17:11:49
Post Tools
One thing about studying technical endgames, and K + Pawn studies, is that after doing that for a while, I always feel a great clarity of thought come over my play.  I "see" things better in all phases of the game, solve tactical problems better, can calculate better, etc.  I'm really in the pro-endgame camp, personally. 

There's a huge difference between reading an endgame book and actually training, though.  I think that this is a big problem with chess improvement in general; it's easy to just read through a book but not do much work on your own, then wonder why you didn't actually improve.  There are a few highly technical positions that you need to just learn/memorize (Lucena's position, Philidor's, various K vs. K+P, etc), but for the most part you should be viewing every new position as one that you've arrived at in a game and try to solve it for yourself before looking at whatever your author says.  It takes a long time, but that's the only way to ensure that you'll actually improve.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #56 - 07/28/17 at 15:43:56
Post Tools
You won't regret it. You become unafraid of simplifying; you become sensitive to the lurking endgame even as you pursue middlegame plans; your attack need not be pursued to mate but can be dissolved into a won ending that untrained players just wouldn't win. And you leave many opponents who thought they were as good as you or better wondering what happened to their wins or draws.

IP Logged

passiffity
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 07/19/17 at 18:38:27
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 12/30/13 at 20:09:36:
I'm definitely in the "learn technical endings first" camp. Years ago, I studied three basic technical endgame books at the same time, including Averbach's Chess Endings: Essential Knowledge.

Every time I have studied technical endings, my strategic endgame play has improved. This is partly, I think, because I know better which simplifications are threats; partly because most strategic endgame principles--active rook, active king, two weaknesses, centralized pieces,  threatening the right exchanges, etc.--are actually quite operative in technical endings; and partly because calculation  plays a role in almost every endgame, and technical endings train you to express your positional knowledge through calculation, though at times of a sort different from middlegame calculation.

The best book for studying technical endings is the book whose style you like best, the one whose explanations you understand and that keeps you motivated. Lots of books have a good selection of material including the absolute essentials plus a selection of very desirable semi-essentials. I found that using two or three books, with Averbach in the lead, gave me valuable multiple perspectives on the material.

Today if I were doing this I might use De La Villa (who writes a little like Capablanca) and Silman (who writes a little like Grouch Marx), with Averbach in the lead.

Thanks a bunch for sharing this, have wanted to spend some time doing an earnest but practical study of endgames and like this idea very much, plus all three books are highly recommended and available!

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #54 - 08/02/14 at 11:28:55
Post Tools
My latest blogarticle discusses practical endgames: http://chess-brabo.blogspot.be/2014/08/practical-endgames.html

IP Logged

Jupp53
YaBB Moderator

be

Reply #53 - 06/27/14 at 12:09:08
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 06/26/14 at 09:01:58:
I have to say that my impression of 'pure' B&B vs R endings is that the poor rook gets totally outgunned, so I'd have stayed well clear of anything like that on principle.

That was my point of view too before I fell into this in the game and reached the BB vs RPP ending. Now I would go for it, in this case on the rook side.

The additional point for training endgames is analogous to the discussion about starting to learn to play open positions. You cannot avoid endgames if your opponent plays appropriate.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 06/26/14 at 09:01:58
Post Tools
In answer to the question about endgame study - any concentrated sort of study on chess (where you put in effort!) is good.

Endgame study is probably a good way to train pure calculation as the positions are often clean enough to really get a long way into, and to punish minor innacuracies quite hard. That all gets much less clear in most sorts of middlegames.

We're having a gently amused/pointlessly pedantic debate about the given position just because we're not sure if it really relates to endgames rather than something else Smiley I have to say that my impression of 'pure' B&B vs R endings is that the poor rook gets totally outgunned, so I'd have stayed well clear of anything like that on principle.

IP Logged

Jupp53
YaBB Moderator

be

Reply #51 - 06/26/14 at 08:11:08
Post Tools
baeron wrote on 06/25/14 at 12:36:49:
Jupp53 wrote on 06/25/14 at 12:02:44:
Exchanging one pair of rooks this is an endgame for me with middlegame elements. But maybe this is one of my weaknesses to judge it this way. After the exchange of the rooks white forced the queen exchange, which lead to an endgame r+2p vs 2B.

The road to an endgame is often a small one. That's what I wanted to say and the game position has to do with different choices.

But in this case, are you sure that the lack of endgame knowledge was really the reason you exchanged rooks in this position? In other words, did you aim for the 2B vs R+2P endgame, or did you not foresee that white could also force the swapping of queens? Was Rab8 one of your candidate moves?
I agree with brabo that to me this looks more like a middlegame problem. As I said, I don't know much about these endgames apart from the very vague fact, that I've always suffered with a rook against the bishop pair. I'd have no firm idea how to try and use those two pawns extra to my advantage. But to me, even this vague idea is enough for me do decide that if possible I'd try to keep the heavies on board for a long as possible. That's by the way not saying that I would have found Rb8...

What were your feelings during the game once you found out that this endgame would certainly arise (after the exchange of Q's)?

At first I could not judge the position. Exchanging rooks was a wrong positional decision. Rb8 would have been more active but I didn't see it this way. Then I overlooked the Qa4-g4 manoeuvre white played. Both players misjudged the resulting position as better for white. Indeed it was better for black. So my feelings were fighting for a draw and activate the rook and defend the pawn. Indeed I should have used the pawns more active.

Having analyzed this with my trainer four hours I can tell that all my weaknesses came out. The endgame weakness was not the only one, but  in this case decisive.

And - if I had analyzed this only all by myself I wouldn't have detected this. I would have searched in the opening and the early middlegame for the reasons of the defeat.

Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

msiipola

Reply #50 - 06/25/14 at 16:48:01
Post Tools
As an weak player I get confused. The main question is still: Is endgame study waste of time or not?

I think doing endgame study and execises will improve your visualization and calculating ability. And not necessarily only the technique of delivering mate. Those players which have reach 2000+ has learned this in other ways. But will endgame study be a shortcut or tardy route?

I still have hard to belief that Capablanca and Tarrasch were wrong.

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 06/25/14 at 12:51:59
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 06/25/14 at 12:31:21:
Even thinking of swapping rooks as black does look strange though

actually 1...Rxa3 2.Qxa3 f5 is the first line that popped into my mind, although it doesn't take too long to see it's not good Smiley

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

baeron

Chessaholic

Reply #48 - 06/25/14 at 12:36:49
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 06/25/14 at 12:02:44:
Exchanging one pair of rooks this is an endgame for me with middlegame elements. But maybe this is one of my weaknesses to judge it this way. After the exchange of the rooks white forced the queen exchange, which lead to an endgame r+2p vs 2B.

The road to an endgame is often a small one. That's what I wanted to say and the game position has to do with different choices.

But in this case, are you sure that the lack of endgame knowledge was really the reason you exchanged rooks in this position? In other words, did you aim for the 2B vs R+2P endgame, or did you not foresee that white could also force the swapping of queens? Was Rab8 one of your candidate moves?
I agree with brabo that to me this looks more like a middlegame problem. As I said, I don't know much about these endgames apart from the very vague fact, that I've always suffered with a rook against the bishop pair. I'd have no firm idea how to try and use those two pawns extra to my advantage. But to me, even this vague idea is enough for me do decide that if possible I'd try to keep the heavies on board for a long as possible. That's by the way not saying that I would have found Rb8...

What were your feelings during the game once you found out that this endgame would certainly arise (after the exchange of Q's)?

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #47 - 06/25/14 at 12:31:21
Post Tools
Semi endgame by the time you lose one pair of rooks.

Even thinking of swapping rooks as black does look strange though, because Rb8,b5,c5,b4 etc is just so automatic.
(and I'd presume strong too.).

White's rook on a3 is hardly very well placed Smiley

IP Logged

Jupp53
YaBB Moderator

be

Reply #46 - 06/25/14 at 12:02:44
Post Tools

Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo