Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Andy's replacement? (Read 14508 times)
BlkSabb

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Andy's replacement?
Reply #24 - 10/11/08 at 07:39:31
Post Tools
Spassky has been appearing at chess events and giving interviews since then so I assume he hasn't suffered too many ill effects from the mild stroke.

Here's some information on an event from earlier this year:
http://bcmchess.blogspot.com/2008/05/spassky-at-hay-on-wye.html

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #23 - 10/08/08 at 05:40:04
Post Tools
I was just wondering...

Is Spassky still around?  It would be cool to have a former world champ do some modern analysis!  

Ok, just dreaming.

PS: I just read that he had a stroke in October, 2002.  Does anyone know how he's doing?

IP Logged

doctord
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 10/06/08 at 05:57:18
Post Tools
I have to agree 100% with what Matemax said. I have played the c3 Sicilian and occasionally Bb5 since 1975, and have been more than a little disappointed in the material. The July update was a total joke - almost like one of those opening books written by someone who never played the opening. (and it was the first one I saw and still paid for a full chesspub membership - go figure)

Prie's stuff is overoptimistic, but it shows - again as I think Matemax stated - a real enthusiasm for the material and any teacher knows, this is the prime driving force behind any good teaching.  I'm getting more from Prie than any other author here and I really dislike the systems he touts!

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #21 - 10/03/08 at 12:54:04
Post Tools
I would appreciate if the focus in the Anti-Si section would be on middle game structures in the future. Apart from weird gambits (which are fun, dangerous but probably theoretically unsound - like Morra, Wing,...) most Anti-Si lead to middlegame structures which offer chances for both sides. Like in the d-pawn-spec. section the player who is better informed about these structures has the better chances - this could be a boost for playing the Anti-Si with White. I also would like a second approach which includes some historical look at position - lets call it the evolution of some opening lines - Ruslan has done some nice work in his d4d5 section in this way.

Just some underlining of what I mean - the introduction to the topical update in the d-pawn-section (September 08):

"'Theory' is not so important in the various London systems.
What matters, for both sides actually, is the fastest natural development with the maximum activity for the pieces, the overall understanding of the set-up and the side knowledge of some useful "d-Pawn Special" themes such as: the promising attacking structures, the attack on the b2 pawn by ...Qb6, the status of the bishop on f4, against both the knight attack ...Nh5 and the exchange proposal ...Bd6 in the case of the Nimzo-London, with extension to the historical London when a black pawn stands on d5 as considered in this update.
This is why I tend to comment so many of my own games in this column, simply because I understand and can therefore explain them better!"
- GM Eric Prie
« Last Edit: 10/03/08 at 14:13:23 by Matemax »  

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #20 - 10/03/08 at 10:27:46
Post Tools
There is GM Prié's approach: try to refute them all and build a repertoire for Black. If done honestly that is interesting for White as well.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 10/03/08 at 09:28:03
Post Tools
Good luck Fluffy as I don't think that it's that easy to find games beyond the c3/bb5 systems.

One suggestion for a monthly update is to look at recent SOS anti sicilians.

I also think that it might be worth a more detailed look at the Wing Gambit as recommended by Davies in Gambiteer 1. IMHO it's very underated.

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #18 - 09/27/08 at 13:09:59
Post Tools
Smiley I'd love to.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #17 - 09/27/08 at 11:50:45
Post Tools
Andy has just resigned again, this time permanently. I've asked Richard he if he can do one, and I might be able to do one, but we really need a long-term replacement. Fluffy, perhaps? Wink

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #16 - 01/01/08 at 11:21:43
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 01/01/08 at 06:44:26:
John Shaw in his very first update proved, at least to me, the value of having an expert practitioner presenting the systems under consideration. Already I have gained some invaluable insights.

Yes, me too, I think it would be good if he took over full time. Wink

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #15 - 01/01/08 at 06:44:26
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/31/07 at 11:20:35:
Inspired by John Shaw's update I played 2 c3 for the first time in my life yesterday, in a crucial last round game, and won! Smiley

John Shaw in his very first update proved, at least to me, the value of having an expert practitioner presenting the systems under consideration. Already I have gained some invaluable insights.

Kudos,

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #14 - 12/31/07 at 12:48:58
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/31/07 at 11:20:35:
Inspired by John Shaw's update I played 2 c3 for the first time in my life yesterday, in a crucial last round game, and won! Smiley

You played 2. c4-c3  Cheesy

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #13 - 12/31/07 at 11:20:35
Post Tools

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #12 - 11/19/07 at 20:46:43
Post Tools
Greetings,

If you're contemplating a carousel of contributors, consider Chandler and Collins.  Grin

Cheers!,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #11 - 11/08/07 at 17:47:34
Post Tools
I already enjoyed the first update! Thanks to Richard for getting it written so quickly at such short notice! Smiley

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #10 - 11/06/07 at 21:46:51
Post Tools
John Shaw has just agreed to help out, too, so it looks like we will have some interesting updates over the coming months! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo