Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Taking up KID (Read 3349 times)
Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: Taking up KID
Reply #7 - 11/23/07 at 18:07:26
Post Tools
I really liked Bellin and Ponzetti's book on the KID and the companion book on the Benko as well.  Even if it were in print though, I would be careful recommending it.  It's an excellent primer for a tournament player who has little first-hand knowledge of the opening, but it probably won't help many masters very much.

Although it's quite a slog, I recommend Nunn's two volumes on the Classical King's Indian and Khalifman's Openings for White According to Kramnik for more precise information about the KID.  I would stay away completely from single-volume books such as MCO except to see what your opponents will play.  Those books give you just enough information to get you in trouble!

Also, use modern technology to your benefit!  Take a look at recent games from The Week in Chess and other databases to see what's going on now!  Oh, and as always, have fun. Cool

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 11/23/07 at 16:19:22
Post Tools
No doubt I've said this before, but for an introduction to/grounding in the KID I would suggest going over the relevant stuff in a couple of more general (i.e. good to have anyway) books:  Pawn Structure Chess (Soltis) and Dynamic Pawn Play in Chess (Marovic).

And (still on the "general" theme) perhaps get MCO-15 when it comes out, to look up particular lines.

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #5 - 11/23/07 at 12:42:05
Post Tools
Agreed:
Bellin and Ponzetto
Gallagher
both excellent sources.

Also: old book by Andrew Martin was my intro and an excellent one. About 17-18 years ago. Forget title. Mr Martin? Good for its time and very enthusing. Played that repertoire wholesale for a while. Gave me fair results v IMs and GMs.  Theory now rather old hat, but very good basis. If I can inspire with a personal example: with minimal experience check Flear-Bibby on your dbase to see how things can go your way.

Work through plenty of games collections. Classics by Gufeld, Nunn, Smyslov, Bronstein, Kasp.

Radj too complex as yet - too theory heavy. That is later if ever. More can be learnt at the start from thematic crushes than high class theoretical clashes.

KID is great fun to play. Give it a go. Best of luck.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #4 - 11/23/07 at 02:52:32
Post Tools
It might be worth remembering that Kasparov was a pretty good KID player and there are lots of his games in all kinds of print sources, many of them exceptionally well annotated.  That would be where I would be inclined to start.

Although, I have to say that based on other posts, JonHecht, that I'm not sure I would recommend the KID.  I would strongly recommend a more classical opening, maybe the Tarrasch or the Tartakower QGD...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/19/07 at 09:08:42
Post Tools
The best book is the now out of print Bellin/Ponzetto's Mastering the KID but Joe Gallagher's Starting out the KID is very good too.

I think that the best place for any KID player to start is in the Classical  main line  ( Nf3, Be2 , 0-0) since if you don't like this then you might as well stop ! If your looking to cut down on theory Na6 systems are not too bad. If you like to attack the main line is the one to go for. Most players go for the Bayonet but I would advise you to look at Black responses to nd2 and ne1 before examining this since they contain a lot of the standard themes.

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #2 - 11/19/07 at 02:30:32
Post Tools
Blitz and online or club play, that's how. I've played several openings for less than a month, so I sympathize.

I'm thinking of going back myself to the KID!

I'm just running into too many Catalans and ways of avoiding my fav Nimzo.

One game I would recommend for inspiration took place between Botvinnik and Smyslov, with the latter playing the King's Indian. I think that's in the Mammoth book of best chess games, but you could look it up easily...

Another inspiration is Kasimdzhanov's games against the Fianchetto: Ponomariov-Kasim, Liga de Campeones (recent) or Neverov- Kasim, Hoogeveen - 1999.

I also like Beliavsky - Stellwagen (Youth vs Experience), or Bu Xiangzhi- Ye Jiangchuan, Shenyang 1999 - that shows you have to be an imaginative attacker to play the KID succesfully.

There's that famous game, Lputian-Kasparov, or along the same lines, Karpov-Kasparov Linares 1993.

Well I think that's enough homework!

Oh Yeah, don't forget Gufeld's Mona Lisa!

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #1 - 11/19/07 at 01:53:13
Post Tools
JonHecht wrote on 11/19/07 at 01:01:42:
  I decided to go back to KID... well, I played KID for like a week once.

I am scratching my head here. How does one play an opening for a week?  Huh

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

JonHecht

I Love ChessPublishing!

Taking up KID
11/19/07 at 01:01:42
Post Tools
I am trying to find something to replace my Benko (too many sidelines, so I never get to play my main line, and even when I do it is a hard position... so either I get a difficult position, or I get one that is fine but not to my liking). In case you noticed me post a question about switching to QGA earlier, I tried it out bit before getting deciding whether or not to get a book on it, and it just wasn't to my taste. I decided to go back to KID... well, I played KID for like a week once.

Last time I tried it, I did HORRIBLY, but I figure that is because I was just not used to it, as I hear that is what most people go through when they first switch to it. I already have Play the KID, is it still good? Anything I should know in it that has been refuted/shown to be dubious?

Any player's KID games I should study, to gain an understanding of it. Perhaps Radja, though perhaps his ideas will be so subtle for it that I would already need to have an understanding to gain any understanding from his games. :-D

Anyway, thanks. I will probably still play the Benko on occasion, as it is the first opening I really loved.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo