Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Understanding the Ruy Lopez (Exchange Variation) (Read 47647 times)
TN
YaBB Moderator

Re: Understanding the Ruy Lopez (Exchange Variation)
Reply #7 - 02/02/11 at 06:33:06
Post Tools
Quote:
taking with 4...dxc6 is viewed as the better move because it leaves black with better opening position.  white is better developed and taking with the b-pawn basically allows white to have 2 pieces developed while black has none.  it's against the rule: pawns capture towards the center, but every rule in chess is taken with a grain of salt...

I suggest that the rule should be rewritten as follows:

Given the choice of two pawn recaptures on the same square, one should recapture towards the centre unless recapturing away from the centre leads to more rapid piece development.

This rule obviously has its exceptions, but not as many as the original rule.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

TincFoc
Ex Member

Re: Understanding the Ruy Lopez (Exchange Variation)
Reply #6 - 02/02/11 at 04:00:41
Post Tools
taking with 4...dxc6 is viewed as the better move because it leaves black with better opening position.  white is better developed and taking with the b-pawn basically allows white to have 2 pieces developed while black has none.  it's against the rule: pawns capture towards the center, but every rule in chess is taken with a grain of salt...

IP Logged

greengiant
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Understanding the Ruy Lopez (Exchange Variatio
Reply #5 - 11/30/07 at 13:56:04
Post Tools
Thank you all for responding! I'll take a closer look at your feedback and then I'll get back to you. Thanks again!

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #4 - 11/25/07 at 08:41:14
Post Tools
Girkassa wrote on 11/24/07 at 22:40:27:
Greengiant, it seems that you're referring to the 4...bxc6 Ruy Lopez. 4...dxc6 is much more usual, and as Alias says, 5.Nxe5 is then not good for White. I don't know what's considered the best line for White against 4...bxc6, but I believe there are reasons everyone on top level prefer 4...dxc6. After 5.0-0, Black can choose from a variety of ways to protect the e5-pawn (5...f6, 5...Bg4, 5...Bd6, 5...Qd6).

I didn't understand the comment about the unprotected pawn on c6.

The line referred to is probably

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Bxc6 bxc6 5.Nxe5 Qe7 6.d4 d6 7.Nxc6 Qxe4+ 8.Qe2 Qxe2+ 9. Kxe2 Bb7 10.d5 Bxc6 11.dxc6 Ne7 Panczyk & Ilczuk quotes a Gipslis analysis which gives white a small advantage after 12.Nc3 Nxc6 13.Nd5 0-0-0 14. Be3

4...bxc6 has a poor reputation. In the book, P&I has one game with 4...bxc6 and 73 with 4...dxc6 (not to mention all the game references.) They write: "The move 4...bxc6 has no real merit. Black cannot even count on surprise value since if White continues with normal development, the game transposes to a passive line for Black where White has an extra tempo."

Apart from 5.Nxe5 they have 5.d4 as main line and also analyse 5.0-0!? and 5.Nc3 and in all cases they prefer white.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Girkassa

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/24/07 at 22:40:27
Post Tools
Greengiant, it seems that you're referring to the 4...bxc6 Ruy Lopez. 4...dxc6 is much more usual, and as Alias says, 5.Nxe5 is then not good for White. I don't know what's considered the best line for White against 4...bxc6, but I believe there are reasons everyone on top level prefer 4...dxc6. After 5.0-0, Black can choose from a variety of ways to protect the e5-pawn (5...f6, 5...Bg4, 5...Bd6, 5...Qd6).

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #2 - 11/24/07 at 07:02:42
Post Tools
After 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Bxc6 dxc6 white does not play 5.Nxe5 to win a pawn. Black responds 5...Qd4, gets his pawn back, and has an easy ending after the queen trade on e2. "In no case should White exchange the central e-pawns and additionally open the position for Black's bishops."

Instead of 5.Nxe5 the main line is 5.0-0. White will later play d4 to exchange the d-pawn for blacks e-pawn. White will then have 4 pawns vs 3 on the king's side. In endgames white can then get a passed pawn. Black has 4 vs 3 on the queen's side, but since he has a doubled pawn, he will have more difficulties producing a passed pawn. On the other hand, black has the bishop pair and a soild position.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #1 - 11/24/07 at 06:35:04
Post Tools
Greetings,

greengiant
Welcome to ChessPublishing!  Grin

I must say first that I don't play 1.e4 myself, however - apart from the resident experts here - you'll find some information at the following site;
http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/Openings/ruylopez.html

There's also the following recent book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruy-Lopez-Exchange-Krzysztof-Panczyk/dp/1857443896/ref=s...

But I'd urge you to await the advice from those who frequent this section of the forum!

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

greengiant
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Understanding the Ruy Lopez (Exchange Variation)
11/24/07 at 04:43:03
Post Tools
Hi, All

I'm trying to make sense of this most annoying opening Undecided
I play the Black side of the Classical Lopez religiously,
but the Exchange Variation always ruins things. I'd
appreciate your feedback on the soundness of Black's
proposed strategy, and any good books that deal with it.

What's the game plan for White?

* Win the e5 pawn by getting rid of its
c6 defender (4 Bxc6, 5 Nxe5).
* Also take the unprotected c6 pawn left
over from the above exchange (7 Nxc6).
Please remember, this gained material will
only become helpful if Black doesn't force
its retaking.

What's the game plan for Black?

* Allow White to attain the e5 and c6 pawns,
and then force their return (5 ... Qe7, 6 ... d6,
7 ... Qxe4, 11 ... Ne7). Please note, any clingy
attempts on his part can be punished by
taking the c6 knight.

http://chesssokolskyopening.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo