Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "Play the Semi-Slav" will be out very soon (Read 47211 times)
Trolletje
YaBB Newbies

Re: "Play the Semi-Slav" will be out very so
Reply #75 - 01/12/09 at 08:29:48
Post Tools
I think you are right. Following your recommendation, 32.Bf4+ Kc6 33.Ng5 b1Q 34.Rxb1 Bxb1 35.Nxf7 Rh5

This position is really tricky for both sides.

In my opinion, it is better to play 28.Re1! with the plan to eliminate the strong bishop!
1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 e6 5.Bg5 dxc4 6.e4 b5 7.e5 h6 8.Bh4 g5 9.Nxg5 hxg5 10.Bxg5 Nbd7 11.exf6 Bb7 12.g3 c5 13.d5 Qb6 14.Bg2 O-O-O 15.O-O b4 16.Rb1 Qa6 17.dxe6 Bxg2 18.e7 Bb7? 19.exd8=Q+ Kxd8 20.Ne2 Bf3 21.Qc2! Ne5 22.h4 c3 23.Rbd1+ Kc8 24.Rde1 Qe6 25.Nf4 Ba8 26.Re3 Nf3+ 27.Rxf3 Qc6 28.Re1 Qxf3 29.Re8+ Kc7 30.Rxa8 Qxa8 31.bxc3

A: 31...c4 32.cxb4 Qc6 33.Qf5 c3 34.Nd5+ Kb7 35.Ne7 Bxe7 36.fxe7 c2 37.Qxf7 Re8 (37...c1=Q+ 38.Bxc1 Qxc1+ 39.Kh2 Qc7 40.e8=Q +-) 38.Kh2 Qd7 39.Qf3+ Qc6 40.Qe3 a6 41.a3 winning

B: 31...a5 32.cxb4 axb4 33.Qc4 +-

So, a better try maybe is 25...Bb7. Here we have the same idea as white: 26.Re3 Nf3+ 27.Rxf3 Qc6 28.Rd1 Qxf3 29.Qf5+ Kb8 30.Rd8+ Kc7 31.Rd7 Kb6 32.Rxb7 Qxb7 33.bxc3 bxc3 34.Nd5+ Kb5 35.Qd3+ Kc6 36.Ne7+ Bxe7 37.fxe7, with again the same kind of play as in the previous variations. The strong e7-pawn, covered by the bishop, is really annoying for black.

Funny enough, Richard Palliser in NIC Yearbook 89 also noticed the Kirpikov - Yarkov corr-game. He claims white is winning, although he does not mention any improvements for black on move 21.
But it seems 18...Bb7 is really busted now.

IP Logged

FM Dikkie

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #74 - 01/05/09 at 12:45:20
Post Tools
Trolletje wrote on 10/01/08 at 10:12:14:
First of all, I want to thank David Vigorito and the Quality Chess-team for this very nice book. The quality of the analysis is very high and the layout is superb.

Last I was doing some research in the 16.Rb1-line in the Botwinnik. On page 67-68 David analyses the interesting 16.Rb1 Qa6 17.dxe6 Bxg2 18.e7 Bb7 in some depth. After 19.exd8Q+ Kxd8 20.Ne2 Bf3 he gives an analysis of Stellwagen: 21.Qc2 Qe6 22.Nf4 Qg4, reaching the following position:

Here Stellwagen only mentions 23.Qd2 Rg8 24.Qe3 Rxg5 25.h3 Rh5 26.Rbd1 Bc6 27.Rfe1 Rxh3 28.Nxh3 Qxh3 29.Qe8+ Kc7 30.Rxd7+ Qxd7 31.Qxf8 Qd5 32.Re7+ Kb6 33.Qb8+ Bb7 34.Qc7+ Ka6 35.Kf1 Qd3+ 36.Re2 Bf3 37.Qc8+ =, where David adds 37...Kb6 38Qb6 Bb7 where Black could try to win.

Both Stellwagen and Vigorito seemed to have overlooked 23.Qa4, played in the correspondence game Kirpikov - Yarkov, corr 2004. In that game there followed: 23...Qxg5 24.Rbd1 Qg4 25.Rfe1 1-0

As an try to improve Rybka gives 21...Ne5 22.h4 c3 (22...Bd5 23.f3 Nxf3 24.Rxf3 Bxf3 25.Rd1+ Kc7 26.Bf4+ Kb6 27.Rd8 with a dangerous attack) 23.Rbd1+ Kc8 24.Rde1 Bd5 25.Nd4 Nd3 26.Re8+ Kd7 27.Rd8, with a clear White plus.

"The ball is on Blacks court again..."

It looks like you're right!, although I think you mean 27.Re3 instead of
27.Rd8 which loses immediately.
Maybe black can try 24..Qe6 instead of Bd5, then after the forced 25.Nf4 black can try to hold with Ba8.
For instance 26.Re3 Nf3+ 27.Rxf3 Qc6 28.Qf5+ Kc7 29.Nh3 cxb2 30.Kg2 Qe4 31.Qxe4 Bxe4 32.Bf4+ (only move) which is not so clear as Rybka "thinks"  Wink
It wouldn't surprise me if black is able to hold.
But true, it's all not very nice for black at all...

IP Logged

Trolletje
YaBB Newbies

Re: "Play the Semi-Slav" will be out very soon
Reply #73 - 10/27/08 at 11:46:09
Post Tools
Haven't had a reply for a month now..  Undecided
Everyone agrees White is winning in the 16.Rb1 Qa6 17.dxe6 Bxg2 18.e7 Bb7-line?

IP Logged

Trolletje
YaBB Newbies

Reply #72 - 10/01/08 at 10:12:14
Post Tools
First of all, I want to thank David Vigorito and the Quality Chess-team for this very nice book. The quality of the analysis is very high and the layout is superb.

Last I was doing some research in the 16.Rb1-line in the Botwinnik. On page 67-68 David analyses the interesting 16.Rb1 Qa6 17.dxe6 Bxg2 18.e7 Bb7 in some depth. After 19.exd8Q+ Kxd8 20.Ne2 Bf3 he gives an analysis of Stellwagen: 21.Qc2 Qe6 22.Nf4 Qg4, reaching the following position:

Here Stellwagen only mentions 23.Qd2 Rg8 24.Qe3 Rxg5 25.h3 Rh5 26.Rbd1 Bc6 27.Rfe1 Rxh3 28.Nxh3 Qxh3 29.Qe8+ Kc7 30.Rxd7+ Qxd7 31.Qxf8 Qd5 32.Re7+ Kb6 33.Qb8+ Bb7 34.Qc7+ Ka6 35.Kf1 Qd3+ 36.Re2 Bf3 37.Qc8+ =, where David adds 37...Kb6 38Qb6 Bb7 where Black could try to win.

Both Stellwagen and Vigorito seemed to have overlooked 23.Qa4, played in the correspondence game Kirpikov - Yarkov, corr 2004. In that game there followed: 23...Qxg5 24.Rbd1 Qg4 25.Rfe1 1-0

As an try to improve Rybka gives 21...Ne5 22.h4 c3 (22...Bd5 23.f3 Nxf3 24.Rxf3 Bxf3 25.Rd1+ Kc7 26.Bf4+ Kb6 27.Rd8 with a dangerous attack) 23.Rbd1+ Kc8 24.Rde1 Bd5 25.Nd4 Nd3 26.Re8+ Kd7 27.Rd8, with a clear White plus.

"The ball is on Blacks court again..."
« Last Edit: 10/01/08 at 12:06:10 by Trolletje »  

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #71 - 05/30/08 at 19:40:12
Post Tools
Now time has been in favour for David Vigorito!

First he was a bit unlucky with the developments in the Anti-Moscow-line (12.Nf7!?) but now the stars of the book are shining in the recent update of GM Sherbakov: Mikhalevski - Karim is just following Vigoritos main suggestion against 16.Rb1 in the Botvinnik.

Smiley

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #70 - 04/21/08 at 13:59:06
Post Tools
I love this book but just noticed an obvious omission in the moscow gambit 1d4 d5 2 c4 c6 3 nf3 nf6 4nc4 e6 5 Bg5 h6 6 Bh4 dc , neither 7 e3 or a4 are covered. Don't get me wrong I'd only expect a sidenote on these or any other alternatives to 7 e4. Kaufman's opening repertoire in black and white covers this briefly. Any suggestions anyone, although I am sure most moves are just going to be good for Black !

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #69 - 04/21/08 at 09:17:40
Post Tools
I have received Vigorito Semi-Slav for a week now. Here are my initial impressions.

I waited for this book with some anticipation, as I play these lines on both sides. However, I was also slightly wary as I felt that Vigorito’s earlier 4. Qc2 nimzo book was underwhelming, it was merely a summary (albeit well-researched) of existing Nimzo theory at that time (one could possibly cobble together his entire book with annotations from NIC, Megabase and Chesspub). Although it was a conscientious effort, I felt it added nothing special to theory.

Vigorito’s Semi-Slav is a more creative effort, partly because of the nature of the opening (the Semi-Slav contains more unchartered territory than the 4. Qc2 nimzo). It is a somewhat unusual Black repertoire book in that Vigorito extensively covers many Black alternative tries which he then dismisses and explains why, especially in the Botvinnik chapter. I have not seen a repertoire book doing this to such great extent. White players will therefore find this book helpful.

Vigorito’s recommendations are generally on the solid side, with Black trying to equalize first (by going for well-traversed lines leading to piece exchanges), before playing for the win: see especially his 7… Bb4 against the Shabalov-Shirov, 6… Bf5 against Slav Exchange, and his Slow Slav 4. e3 Bf5 lines. In this aspect, Vigorito's Semi-Slav reminds me of Ziegler's French Repertoire Chessbase DVD.

Somewhat unfortunately, I walk away from the book with the feeling that Vigorito is a greater connoisseur of the Botvinnik than the Moscow. This is unfortunate, as the latter is probably the sounder try!
I also don’t agree with a few of Vigorito’s evaluations (for example, I believe Black is no worse in Dominguez’ “Cuban variation” 12… Qc7 than the Botvinnik main lines). But on the whole, Vigorito’s analysis is accurate and very objective.

So, surely a book worth picking up, and one of the better opening books i've seen.

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #68 - 04/12/08 at 08:30:58
Post Tools
I agree wholeheartedly with SF. Regardless of the merits of this book, there does seem to be too much shilling by authors and their friends on this forum.

Fluffy's huffy response to FS's issues was ridiculously intemperate and backed up by nonsensical assertions..."this analysis goes 10 moves further..."; never mind the quality, feel the weight.  And then ED, a man exquisitely sensitised to a bad review, pops up to tell us that this discussion has got out of hand, we all appreciate FS's remarks, we all like the book, and can we leave it at that(?!) ; is this the royal we, or a royal attempt to stifle any debate.

A forum exists to facilitate an exchange of ideas; it doesn't exist for the peons to genuflect to the authors. Any attempts to shut down such a debate would be extremely regrettable.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #67 - 04/08/08 at 12:44:49
Post Tools
I received my copy of this book from Amazon last evening, and had an hour or two to go through it.  To me it seems like an excellent work, full of deep analysis and insight.  It is well up to the Quality Chess standard, which is quite high.  I would compare Quality Chess to Chess Stars for depth and technical rigor.

Just looking at a few of the lines with which I am familiar because I play them from the white side (and this includes some of the deep lines of the Botvinnik), the ultimate evaluations seem to be entirely honest.  Where Black has problems, Vigorito is frank about it.  This doesn't surprise me, since his work on the Nimzo was marked by the same. 

I was impressed by the book's extensive treatment of the Exchange Slav, which I have played with fair success in correspondence chess.  It was quite refreshing, given the dismissiveness of many other recent Slav works toward this system, to see it taken so seriously here.  The book confirms my view that the Milov variation (Qb3 instead of Qa4 in the main line) may well be the most dangerous for Black; and also that Exchange Slav, while perhaps not the ultimate theoretical test of the Slav, is fighting system and one that White can play with reasonable hope of taking the full point.

It appears that theory has advanced in the brief time since this book went to press, but that hardly is a criticism.  Since when, in such volatile systems as the Botvinnik and Anti-Moscow, did owning a book absolve anyone from having to stay up with theory?

I respect Fernando Semprun's opinions and I would encourge him to continue to post here in vigorous criticism of anything in recently released chess books that he doesn't like -- or does like, for that matter.  But I would certainly encourage anyone who has an interest in this defense or in the white side of 1.d4 to get ahold of this book.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #66 - 04/07/08 at 15:37:36
Post Tools
The Botvinnik is very dangeorus for black but after (quick) reading this exellent book and set up some games against my computer, blacks position looks quite playable (note that I also think the Dragon is playable but thats an other story) I havent looked at Moscow variation yet, but that could be a backup to avoid some forced draw variations when facing weaker opponents....

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #65 - 04/05/08 at 10:02:10
Post Tools
Inn2 in the game that you quoted if you read Fluffy's book you'll see that Black made a mistake ! The remedy and main line is all contained there ! So buy the book- it's great and excellent value!

Just a question for Fluffy on one omission - just read a very nice game played by Grivas  v Braun at Wijk aan Zee this year with 4 nbd2 - does he have a recommendation/suggestion !?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #64 - 04/05/08 at 06:46:56
Post Tools
I hadn't read this thread since early March, and boy was I in for a surprise!

Fernando Semprun made some critical remarks about IM Vigorito's book and got slammed by several authors.  He then became very defensive, which is fully understandable but not wise.  

I am still interested in reading the book for myself and the chess content of this thread will definitely inform my reading.

I hope that if I find a book less than perfect I won't get crucified for saying so here.

I know that chess authors have an especially difficult time getting published and there is only a small market for any single opening book.  This makes any negative review so much more damaging, even if it is written here rather than in NIC.  But Fernando expressed an honest opinion and was attacked for being disappointed by a book.  

I hope that the Chess Pub isn't just an advertising ploy for chess authors to ply their trade.  I read the comments here because there are so many interesting opinions here.  I feel that this thread has tried to squash one negative review.

Again, I look forward to reading Play the Semi-Slav, and may even buy it if it's a major addendum to my library.  Thanks to Fernando Semprun for sharing your opinions, and of course to fluffy for writing the book in the first place!

IP Logged

J-dog

Reply #63 - 04/04/08 at 18:24:10
Post Tools
(IV-I plagal cadence in the background): AMEN.

IP Logged

Edward Dearing
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 04/04/08 at 14:00:40
Post Tools
It seems this thread has gotten a little out of hand. We all appreciate Fernando's comments and analysis (the reference to the 17.Re1!? omission is particularly helpful), and we also like David's book, albeit some chapters more than others - is anyone really surprised that the soundness of the Botvinnik system is a controversial issue? I'd love to play it with black on a regular basis, but it's hard to move past the fact that black's position is hanging by a thread in a number of lines.

Thankfully (1) the Moscow is an excellent alternative and (2) there is no simple path to an advantage for White against the Botvinnik, so it remains playable and dangerous for both sides - just playing the odds, a well-prepared player on the black side is likely to pick up an awful lot of points in over-the-board play just through being better prepared!

Even if we question the objective soundness of the Botvinnik system, David's book remains an excellent guide to it (from both sides) and to the Semi-Slav generally.

Can we leave it at that?

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #61 - 04/04/08 at 12:04:13
Post Tools
Fernando Semprun wrote on 04/04/08 at 11:22:34:
Oh, well, the main organiser, Miguel Perez Royo. Assumed you must know him, he is behind the whole thing and in charge of the Federacion Aragonesa

No, no-one of that name here: I don't know the name either.

Fernando Semprun wrote on 04/04/08 at 11:22:34:
I seem to recall you live in Aragon (we had a short conversation prior to a round)

Good God. I'm sure I ought to remember that, but at the moment, I don't! Thankyou for talking to me anyway and if you come this year I'll try and talk again! Yes, I live in Aragón - in Huesca.

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #60 - 04/04/08 at 11:35:05
Post Tools
Cry Cry Cry

Edward Dearing's fantastic dragon book got a FEROCIOUS attack from Tivjakov and very publicly in NEW in CHESS. His next book, the one on the grunfeld was also of very high quality. The other one I also bought, I was not so convinced about the Qf5 stuff (played it in correspondence and got boring - for me - positions). All in all - excellent books.

So I said so here in the appropiate thread. If I don't like a book (and that's subjective) I said so.

In this case, I didn´t even say I didnot like it, I said I had high hopes and was dissapointed. Wow! Big deal. It is clear that the (Spanish)  Wink Inquisition is what I deserve!

The worst thing about Tivjakov's critic was that it was done shortly after publication, so I expect it put a lot of people off (Tivjakov is -of course- a renowned expert). Seriously, I doubt very much I have put anyone off.

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #59 - 04/04/08 at 11:27:19
Post Tools
Well having read it my humble impression was that it is certainly a rather good book and extremely brave to tackle such a daunting subject.

Still I can understand Fernando's reservations. I did get the impression from the book that the Author really wanted the Botvinnik to work but wasn't quite convinced that it did so objectively.

This impression may have partially been done to the style which is (commendably!) rather more objective than is often seen in repitoire books....

Still the Botvinnik chapters seemed to get a bit more love than the (perfectly good) Moscow ones.

Of course this didn't make the book any less interesting to read from a semi neutral viewpoint - it contains a lot of seriously fun chess Smiley

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #58 - 04/04/08 at 11:22:34
Post Tools
Oh, well, the main organiser, Miguel Perez Royo. Assumed you must know him, he is behind the whole thing and in charge of the Federacion Aragonesa. I seem to recall you live in Aragon (we had a short conversation prior to a round)

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #57 - 04/04/08 at 08:22:41
Post Tools
Any comments on this game?

[Event "TCh-RUS"]
[Site "Dagomys RUS"]
[Date "2008.04.03"]
[Round "2"]
[White "Inarkiev,E"]
[Black "Shomoev,A"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "2684"]
[BlackElo "2559"]
[EventDate "2008.04.02"]
[ECO "D44"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 e6 5. Bg5 dxc4 6. e4 b5 7. e5 h6 8. Bh4
g5 9. Nxg5 hxg5 10. Bxg5 Nbd7 11. g3 Bb7 12. Bg2 Qb6 13. exf6 O-O-O 14. O-O
c5 15. d5 b4 16. Rb1 Qa6 17. dxe6 Bxg2 18. e7 Bxf1 19. Qd5 Bxe7 20. fxe7
Rdg8 21. Ne4 Bd3 22. Nd6+ Kc7 23. Bf4 Kb6 24. Re1 Nf6 25. Qxf7 Ne4 26. Nxe4
Bxe4 27. Rxe4 Qc8 28. Qxc4 Rg6 29. Be3 a5 30. Qxc5+ Qxc5 31. e8=Q 1-0

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #56 - 04/04/08 at 07:45:26
Post Tools
Fernando Semprun wrote on 04/03/08 at 13:35:55:
Justinhorton wrote on 04/03/08 at 06:41:29:
Fernando Semprun wrote on 04/02/08 at 19:59:33:
To Justin Horton: Benasque games don't get published policy of the organiser after 2000. Before nice Bulletins were published...

Fernando - that's interesting. Do you know why they took that decision?

Well, he is just difficult. He also wanted to reduce thinking time to 120 min (entire game) and even 90 min, I pointed out that to play benasque one normally takes 10 days from work, travels there and is there basically for the chess game. He just said that organisers could not make it for dinner at the Gran Hotel (which is untrue). So for me it is a pity because before one could watch fantastic GM games when they still had time to think. Now (as you know) one can just about see the time scramble.

The only thing that saved us (I still prefer the 2hr + 1hr) was that results would not count for GM or IM norms. Other wise  Cry

Heh. I'm not sure exactly who you're talking about though - who's "he"?

(Funnily enough, if they'd had shorter time controls two years ago I'd probably have managed to watch the World Cup Final instead of losing a drawn ending to Komljenovic. Well , what I mean is, I'd still have lost it, but more quickly...)

IP Logged

Phil Adams

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 04/04/08 at 01:18:20
Post Tools
Here's my review of the book for our club website at http://www.btinternet.com/~cccs.chess/review1.htm

Play the Semi-Slav, by David Vigorito, Quality Chess, (http://www.qualitychessbooks.com), 277 large pages £16.99

The American IM David Vigorito (born 1970) has a reputation in his native land both for having an excellent grasp of opening theory and being able to put this across clearly. For the last few years he has been a popular lecturer at http://www.chesslecture.com, but it is only recently that he has started writing openings books. His first effort, Challenging the Nimzo Indian (Quality Chess) was a complete repertoire for White against the Nimzo, based on 4 Qc2, and was excellent. Now he has produced a detailed study of the popular Semi-Slav. This defence forms an important part of the author’s own repertoire, which is always a good omen for an opening book.

For many years now, the Semi-Slav has been in the repertoires of many of the World’s strongest players. This defence is something of a paradox. Black declines the Queen’s Gambit, refuses the opportunity to develop his queen’s bishop outside the pawn chain (= the Slav) and sets up a passive-looking pawn triangle. Yet this can lead to some of the sharpest and most deeply analyzed variations in the whole of chess theory! How can this be?

Let us examine the typical sequence 1 d4 d5 2 c4 c6 3 Nf3 Nf6 4 Nc3; here Black can prepare to develop his Bc8 with either 4…dxc4 or 4…a6 (but NOT 4…Bf5? because of 5 cxd5 cxd5 6 Qb3!); if instead Black plays 4…e6 we have the Semi-Slav.

Now we have a parting of the ways. It is important to realize that at this point Black is ready to take on c4 and then hang on to his acquisition with …b5, so White has to decide whether to allow this or not.

If White protects the c4 pawn with 5 e3, then both sides have a blocked-in bishop, but White has the more aggressive stance in the centre and has the simple plan of expansion with Bd3 and e4; against passive play by Black this will give White some advantage.
In the 1920s, the great Akiva Rubinstein demonstrated that Black can respond actively with 5…Nbd7 6 Bd3 dxc4 7 Bxc4 b5, granting White a mobile central pawn majority in return for space and activity on the queenside and the chance to develop the passive Bc8 on the long diagonal a8-h1. The bishop will be great on b7 if, and only if, the c6 pawn can be safely advanced to c5 in the next few moves; if not, the bishop will remain bad and the c6-pawn will be left backward and exposed on a semi-open file; there are two consequences: a) the b5 pawn needs either protecting or advancing, to permit …c5 without losing the b-pawn, and b) control of the c5 square can be very important. Meanwhile White has the obvious plan of advancing in the centre with e4, when both sides must consider the consequences of further white advances in the form of e5 or d5.

Thus it can be seen that this “Meran” variation of Rubinstein’s is likely to lead to a complex and dynamic struggle in which both sides have their trumps. In recent years there has been an understandable growth of interest in declining the challenge of the Meran by playing the flexible 6 Qc2; after the usual 6…Bd6, White can follow up positionally or with the aggressive modern gambit 7 g4!?.

The main alternative to 5 e3 is to press on with natural development by playing 5 Bg5. At this point, if Black simple unpins with 5…Be7, we have reached an Orthodox Queen’s Gambit Declined in which Black has played …c6 somewhat prematurely. This is regarded as rather passive for Black, but it is probably better than its reputation. Alternatively Black can transpose to the Cambridge Springs defence with 5…Nbd7. Neither of the above is covered in the present book, which focuses on the two principal continuations:
a)      5…dxc4, grabbing the pawn and intending to hang on to it after 6 e4 b5, when play typically continues 7 e5 h6 with great complications. This is known as the Botvinnik variation; although Botvinnik was not the first to play it, it was his games in the early 1940s against Lilienthal, Mikenas and (especially) Denker that popularized this line.
b)      5…h6, probing the intentions of the bishop before taking any committal action in the centre. This is known as the Moscow Variation. Now White can play the relatively quiet 6 Bxf6, conceding the bishop pair in return for an advantage in development, or he can tempt Black into the murky waters of the Anti-Moscow Gambit with 6 Bh4 dxc4 7 e4 g5 8 Bg3 b5; Black wins a pawn in this line but has structural weaknesses, and possible long-term problems with king safety.

It is worth noting that once Black has played …e6, and especially when he has played …Nbd7, he will generally answer an exchange on d5 with …exd5, when a type of Orthodox Queen’s Gambit Exchange (a.k.a. Carlsbad) variation is reached, but one in which it is hard for White to prove any real advantage, because he has committed his knight so early to f3.

Vigorito devotes most of the book to these four main lines: the Meran, the 6 Qc2 line, the Botvinnik and the Moscow/Anti-Moscow. But since this a repertoire book for Black, he also deals with (as far as I can tell) all White’s playable deviations, with special attention to the Slav Exchange variation, since he recommends heading for the Semi-Slav via the Slav route 1 d4 d5 2 c4 c6, when if White exchanges on d5 at any point before Black plays …e6, Black will have to recapture with the c-pawn, producing the symmetrical, and therefore potentially drawish, Slav Exchange structure. Vigorito argues that Black should not fear this: “There are still 30 pieces left on the board, so there is still some fight ahead.”

The five-page introduction is particularly instructive and includes a discussion of the important issue of move orders. The analysis in the main chapters is copious and perhaps a bit intimidating, but there is a lot of very clear verbal guidance, including a useful “Conclusions” section, summarising the essence of each section and finally the chapter as a whole. There is a six-page index of variations and a list of the fifty complete games. There is a bibliography, including a useful indication of the cut-off point for the author’s research in the best known sources such as Chess Informant, New in Chess Yearbook and The Week In Chess.

You can find out more about the author and play through three of his own games with brief notes at http://tinyurl.com/35zcmr

Verdict: Another seriously good repertoire book from David Vigorito and Quality Chess. Highly recommended. *****

IP Logged

Phil Adams

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #54 - 04/04/08 at 01:16:01
Post Tools
Some of the comments in this thread are getting picky and unhelpful. A great post yesterday in the French forum seems relevant here:

TopNotch wrote on 04/03/08 at 00:41:52:
Psakhis filled 282 pages on the Tarrasch alone replete with explanations and guidelines for both sides. Plenty of meat there and then some, even so that work was far from  perfect and had important omissions and faulty assessments in places. Its all the faulty stuff that helps make chess fun, we buy the books, flesh out the mistaken analysis and wait with glee for lazy unsuspecting opponents who unquestioningly follow book lines as if they were the lost scrolls ordained by God.    

As has been said many times on this forum already, writing an excellent Opening book these days is a thankless near impossible task, the flow of information is simply moving too fast for the print media to keep up. I suppose the future of Opening books rests with some sort of maintenance electronic subscription service, dedicated to updating the lines given in this or that book, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that, besides, that would ignore the fact most Opening analysis has an unwritten sell/use by date.

I actually prefer the old fashioned way, where you roll up your sleeves, put your nose to the grind stone and fill in the blanks yourself. Truth be told in many cases the answers we seek, the authors of the books don't always have, we simply have to wait for the praxis to illuminate us or create the praxis ourselves.

In some ways Opening analysis can be compared to a beautiful rose, which smells sweet and intoxicating when its fresh but all too soon  withers and dies.

Topster Smiley

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #53 - 04/03/08 at 20:48:06
Post Tools
fluffy wrote on 04/03/08 at 19:48:26:
"Would you consider that perhaps too much space was allocated to the Botvinnik even though it appears theoretically suspect?"

you are really trying to bait me. I thought it may be somewhat productive to contribute to this forum - answering questions before the book came out, etc. But I can't pelase everyone.

This is a bit OTT. If you want to contribute to the forum, contribute away; if you don't, don't. Don't do us any favours.

Seems not everyone likes your book. Goes with the territory.
If you like, console yourself that you're in good company:
http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/reviews/lone_star_statements.php

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 04/03/08 at 20:27:08
Post Tools
Hello David:

Just wondering if you do much on the Qc2 followed by b3 lines. I realize after Qc2 White can also move his light B but I am just trying to play Qc2 and b3 for now.

Maybe you could also help someone like me who is not great in openings and explain why Black seems to get a lot of active play in the Semi-Slav (I guess in the Qc2/Karpov System anyways). Initially the structure is like a fortress and then all of a sudden Black seems to explode. Seems he gets a lot in these lines w/o risking too much.

If you think my question is too basic, I will understand.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #51 - 04/03/08 at 19:42:30
Post Tools
fluffy wrote on 04/03/08 at 14:12:25:
Fernando, I call you a smartass because you ask me if I remember my own words. The Botvinnik is not for everyone (nor is the Semi-Slav), which is why the Moscow is covered. You question why there is not coverage of ...Qc7 and ...Qa5 lines - I consider those lines unplayable. I am open to criticisms, but I do not think you've said anything productive. Perhaps you should write Beating the Semi-Slav!

Well, not really. I agree entirely that the Moscow is the main option, but I find it slightly dull. In fact, reading your words, I had another look at the 4...a6 slav, which I found pretty interesting.

Would you consider that perhaps too much space was allocated to the Botvinnik even though it appears theoretically suspect?

and HONESTLY I do not remember all my words...

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #50 - 04/03/08 at 13:57:04
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 04/03/08 at 01:58:02:
My database has this effort by Komljenovic:

Komljenovic-Agopov, Villa de Benasque 19th op, 1999

That was the game. I remember Komljenovic pretending in the post mortem he just didnot know any theory  Smiley  Huh and it was later published by Leontxo in Jaque, concluding it was pretty dangerous.

Since I do not play the line with either colour, I did not follow any further developments...

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #49 - 04/03/08 at 13:54:14
Post Tools
fluffy wrote on 04/03/08 at 13:07:55:
Fernando

...smartass

You actually have to do some work yourself, not matter how good any book or database is.

david (since you call me Fernando amongst other niceties)

My words may be unjust, untrue or whatever.

I did buy your book, don't think have called you anything.

I expressed an opinion (if I may). You can take offence or may be try to see my point of view. You learn both ways, actually.

For work in the opening, there are a couple of my games in database against Renier Vazquez 25xx, B99, and you'll see another B97 soon in next Mega 2009 (against Madina). We work on openings.

But because there is Fritz, databases and our brain, some of us feel that strategic explanations are the way to go these days (as opposed to 10-15 years ago).

What I was trying to say is that I considered main line Botvinnik kind of unplayable and your book didnot change that assessment.

You want to take in some other way? Up to you, I end the matter here

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #48 - 04/03/08 at 13:35:55
Post Tools
Justinhorton wrote on 04/03/08 at 06:41:29:
To Justin Horton: Benasque games don't get published policy of the organiser after 2000. Before nice Bulletins were published...

Well, he is just difficult. He also wanted to reduce thinking time to 120 min (entire game) and even 90 min, I pointed out that to play benasque one normally takes 10 days from work, travels there and is there basically for the chess game. He just said that organisers could not make it for dinner at the Gran Hotel (which is untrue). So for me it is a pity because before one could watch fantastic GM games when they still had time to think. Now (as you know) one can just about see the time scramble.

The only thing that saved us (I still prefer the 2hr + 1hr) was that results would not count for GM or IM norms. Other wise  Cry

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #47 - 04/03/08 at 06:41:29
Post Tools

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Reply #46 - 04/03/08 at 06:28:52
Post Tools
Quote:
I should also add that we may need less analysis (there is Fritz, databases and lack of memory at the board anyway!) and more strategic explanation of overall plans and moves

Smiley absolutly right!

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #45 - 04/03/08 at 01:58:02
Post Tools
My database has this effort by Komljenovic:

Komljenovic-Agopov, Villa de Benasque 19th op, 1999
1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 e6 5. Bg5 dxc4 6. e4 b5 7. e5 h6 8. Bh4 g5 9. Nxg5 hxg5 10. Bxg5 Nbd7 11. g3 Bb7 12. Bg2 Qb6 13. exf6 c5 14. d5 O-O-O 15. O-O b4 16. Rb1 Qa6 17. Re1 Nb6 18. Qg4 Nxd5 19. Nxd5 Bxd5 20. Bxd5 Rxd5 21. a3 Rd4 22. Re4 Qc6 23. Rxd4 cxd4 24. axb4 Bxb4 25. Qxd4 Bc5 26. Qf4 Rd8 27. Qg4 Kb7 28. Qh5 Rd7 29. Rd1 Bd4 30. Qe2 e5 31. h4 Rd5 32. Rc1 Rc5 33. Be3 Kb6 34. h5 Bxe3 35. Qxe3 Kb5 36. Ra1 a5 37. Qa3 Kb6 38. b4 Rb5 39. bxa5+ Ka6 40. Qc3 Rc5 41. Rb1 Rxa5 42. h6 Rb5 43. Ra1+ Kb6 44. Qa3 1-0

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #44 - 04/02/08 at 20:06:38
Post Tools
I should also add that almost every chess book (and I buy 100's EVERY YEAR) is an incredible effort on part of the author and gets paid very little for all that work - but still. The market is not that big, and there is not going to be a JK Rawling author here.

And I should also add that we may need less analysis (there is Fritz, databases and lack of memory at the board anyway!) and more strategic explanation of overall plans and moves a la Marin or other authors!

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #43 - 04/02/08 at 19:59:33
Post Tools
Ok. I believe that before getting involved in a piece of analysis I have no chance of remembering (bad enough with the grunfeld) I would need some answers for the main line. (16.Na4) 16.Rb1, as I remember, was a draw and now there is Yermolinsky's 19.Qd5 to worry about ---> your words

Surely you remember / can read/ your own comments on page 89/90

"The main variations of 16.Na4 are very dangerous....White has several dangerous moves...The simple 21.Nc5 probably gives white an objective advantage"

May be Watson with his 'Play the French exchange and win (with black, of course)' all variations ending with slight to black  Wink and Ward's enthus coverage of the Dragon are far to one-sided, but the final comments..

"The main line 16.Na4 is a threat to the viability of the Botvinnik variation" hmmm... (page 94)

As for your other remarks, I may have declined in OTB strength, but have still sufficient brain cells that to note the top players are using the Moscow, not the botvinnik.

I could agree is all my fault of not understanding the defence - Edwards Dearing work on the Grunfeld was excellent in my view since it was just a nice uptodate analysis of almost all my knowledge there with my manual updates in Chessbase all placed together in a nice book, and here I just lack the knowledge. But I did understand better Wells book, and that of Sadler...

The intention being to present a repertoire book, I would have preferred a more profound analysis of the endings of game 1 - they look to me as slightly better for white since black is still catching up in development... although I can perfectly well see why at some 26xx level they present no difficult task for black...

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #42 - 04/02/08 at 16:38:30
Post Tools
I think that the book is a good effort by Fluffy, although the Moscow already looks a little bit dated due to the efforts of Anand, Kramnik, Carlsen and Aronian in recent games no doubt played after the book was sent to the publishers. Any plans for an update via pdf Dave ?

I think 9 a3 is a little bit odd to use the Topalov v Kramnik Elista game when Kramik improved against Gelfand at Mexico. Those who watch Amber will have seen Vishy Anand play an amazing game v Gelfand in the Semi Slav (Ba1 !!).

I think that 8... Bd6 v the meran remains a strong alternative to Bb7 and would have been good to have coverage on this. I appreciate that as a repertoire book you can't have everything.

I am surprised that Fluffy avoided the main line in Qc2 Bd6 Karpov style line - . I think there are stronger lines than the Bb4 stuff v the Shirov attack but it is a pretty sound system.

I don't know what happened at the printers but there are a few more spelling errors than I would have expected, I am sure Fluffy knows where these gremlins are.

On the Qb3 line in the Moscow - I am surprised Svidler's brilliant win was not included. Also Ward in his chapter in Dangerous Weapons think that the qe3 line v a5 gives white an edge and that you can avoid this book's coverage via a different move order. I do not know who is right but both book's are quoting the same game in the notes !

I think Fluffy has put more effort into the main line in Bg5 Botvinnink- I would have liked Qa5 covered as well. I agree that Qc7 is no good but Qa5 is picking up in popularity and Stellwagen is using this. You can't have total coverage !

Overall, I think the book scores high marks for clarity but in the Semi-Slav there is no substitute for analyis and I am sure that the forthcoming Kramnik-Anand match will test this opening to the hilt.

IP Logged

Edward Dearing
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 04/02/08 at 16:16:34
Post Tools
Yes, but only by transposition. I don't think 17...Bd6 is mentioned.

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #40 - 04/02/08 at 16:09:37
Post Tools
IMRichardPalliser wrote on 04/02/08 at 15:01:46:
Do you know if the games make it on to any Spanish websites, or just aren't entered in at all please?.

I don't know, but they don't appear on the relevant section of the Aragón Chess Federation site, so my guess is that they don't get collated.

Benasque this year 3-12 July, all welcome....

(PS - is the 17.Re1 line referred to, the one played here?)

IP Logged

Edward Dearing
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 04/02/08 at 15:27:14
Post Tools

Fernando Semprun wrote on 03/31/08 at 19:25:44:
I had high hopes on the book but I believe that:

1) On the main line, nothing new of interest to black has been added
2) Some plausible lines are not mentioned (11...Qa5) or the newish 12...Qc7 just dismissed (perhaps rightly so; but then, what's this book: Play the Semi-slav and loose?)
3) The proposed alternative, the Moscow variation leaves me wandering (is this really better than the Slav?) AND white get's to choose: boring Moscow or trendy Anti Moscow gambit (loads of work again).

SO perhaps it is Cambridge Springs and Meran (This is more fun AND black has a choice of lines). But then, Vera's book plus the Cambridge Springs book (not that they are really enthus about it) would have done!

4) On the 16.Rb1 line, the dangerous 17.Re1 is unmentioned. I watched Komljenovic destroy black en-route to winning Benasque open.

------------------

Sorry Fernando, I'm with Fluffy on this one:

1) not sure we are reading the same book. Looks like there are plenty of new ideas to me, and in any case the book is useful as a thorough and comprehensive survey of an opening that is incredibly difficult to get a handle on. Even without any new analysis this would be a useful reference work (for me anyway!);

2) no point covering these lines - they pick up the occasional point but they are widely considered to be inferior for black (although granted they remain tricky - especially 12...Qc7!? - for the unprepared);

3) the Semi-Slav is just a different opening, but on balance it probably does offer better winning chances than the Slav proper, if only because it keeps the tension for longer. The Moscow Gambit became popular when White was struggling to prove anything in the Moscow mainlines. The Gambit system is totally unclear, but White has to take some serious risks to generate play, which sounds like a good reason to be on the black side of it (I play Moscow and Anti-Moscow Gambit with both colours, and I like being on either side of the board - the better player tends to prevail).

4) 17.Re1 is a surprising omission, but then again 17..bxc3 is known to be fine for black. After 18.dxe6 Bxg2 we transpose to one of the mainlines which is in fact covered on page 66 of the book. A useful transposition to be aware of, but in fact the line is well-covered all the same.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Eddie

IP Logged

IMRichardPalliser

Reply #38 - 04/02/08 at 15:01:46
Post Tools
Do you know if the games make it on to any Spanish websites, or just aren't entered in at all please?

Haven't studied all of Fluffy's work yet, but have been impressed by the coverage of both 16 Rb1 and 16 Na4 in the main line Botters.

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #37 - 04/02/08 at 13:36:15
Post Tools
fluffy wrote on 03/31/08 at 21:09:37:
4) On the 16.Rb1 line, the dangerous 17.Re1 is unmentioned. I watched Komljenovic destroy black en-route to winning Benasque open.

4) I have never seen this move actually, though I doubt it is the end of the world. perhaps the Cambridge Springs is indeed for you!

Yeah, Benasque games don't seem to make it into databases. I'm not sure why.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Reply #36 - 04/01/08 at 07:06:59
Post Tools
So: enormous study time for little answers in main line...

I think we dont need answers but to ask the right questions. Of course the proof of the book is if it gives playable lines against Bg5-variations. David V. therefore offers two plausible ways - Moscow and Botwinnik. The key question now is: Is the Moscow / Botwinnik refuted. I tried to answer this question with the book and the answer has to be: NO! David shows interesting ways to keep on searching and working on the lines - he was a bit unlucky with the developments int the Moscow shortly before the book came out (12.Nf7 Topalov) but thats life. Every book is just a flash in the moment of chess opening evolution - it doesnt make the evolution itself. The players are doing the evolution - they are picking up variations and test them, they work at home with their silicon grandmasters to improve on books and games. David V. book shows a serious insight in the evolution of the Semislav at the beginning of 2008 - if you read the book in 2010, well we dont know...
Even Garry Kasparov says on his Queensgambit-DVD that its all up to the players to work out the variations or to find little improvements, which may net a point here and there. With modern computers in background it would be arrogant of every author to claim his book gives a final conclusion.

What the book did to me personally: I stopped playing the Botvinnik some years ago (with black) but after reading the chapter in "Play the Semi-Slav" I am on the edge to start playing the variation again. And I feel updated in the Meran and Latvian V. which I also had not looked at for years.

I think its high time for everyone to give up the consuming attidute: "I buy this book - it tells me everything - I win everything" but to live the working attidute: "I get this book - it will be a nice starting point - I will work on this opening variations and see what happens OTB".

regards
Matemax

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #35 - 03/31/08 at 19:28:15
Post Tools
I believe New in Chess is cheaper than TWIC. I usually buy from them because my local store in Madrid might take ages to receive the books (why, I wonder), even though no shipping plus 10% discount!

NIC is cheaper re shipping costs, of course

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #34 - 03/31/08 at 19:25:44
Post Tools

1) On the main line, nothing new of interest to black has been added
2) Some plausible lines are not mentioned (11...Qa5) or the newish 12...Qc7 just dismissed (perhaps rightly so; but then, what's this book: Play the Semi-slav and loose?)
3) The proposed alternative, the Moscow variation leaves me wandering (is this really better than the Slav?) AND white get's to choose: boring Moscow or trendy Anti Moscow gambit (loads of work again).

SO perhaps it is Cambridge Springs and Meran (This is more fun AND black has a choice of lines). But then, Vera's book plus the Cambridge Springs book (not that they are really enthus about it) would have done!

So: enormous study time for little answers in main line...

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #33 - 03/24/08 at 16:12:59
Post Tools
Quote:
after d4 d5 c4 c6 Nc3 Nf6 Bg5 e6
White can play e3, and has placed the bishop on g5 without risking to get into the moscow or botwinnik, isn't this just really good for white?

Shouldn't black play dxc4 after Bg5?

there is no need to dwell on lines like this. Black should play 4...dxc4, as any old book will say. forgive me for not covering something that has been covered many times before and is not the least bit critical. get the book for coverage of the Semi-Slav (and Slav!), not for 4.Bg5?!

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 03/24/08 at 14:57:54
Post Tools
after d4 d5 c4 c6 Nc3 Nf6 Bg5 e6
White can play e3, and has placed the bishop on g5 without risking to get into the moscow or botwinnik, isn't this just really good for white?

Shouldn't black play dxc4 after Bg5?

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #31 - 03/24/08 at 14:36:46
Post Tools
Amazon now shipping.  I got my copy a few days ago.  I haven't been able to put much time into yet, but so far it looks impressive.  I looked at a couple of lines I play (as White!) and the coverage seems thorough and generally spot on.  

One thing that stands out for me is that the book pays attention to the prior literature and let's you know what is still holding up and what isn't.  This is much appreciated for someone like me who hasn't kept up with all of the lines.  It's also an honest book.  Vigorito tells you straight up when a line is difficult for Black or in trouble, and doesn't try to sugar coat it.  

This is a big book on a big opening.  There's plenty here that you won't find in your database, including relevant corresp. games, original analysis and suggestions.  The author even goes to the trouble of showing why Sadler's Kc7 in the Na4 Botvinnik never caught on.  (Although he could have saved himself some work, as there is a little known game from an internet simul where Shirov smashed this idea.)    

Anyway, just some first impressions . . .

Lee Roth

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #30 - 03/21/08 at 13:09:04
Post Tools
Templare2 wrote on 03/21/08 at 12:20:06:
I received the book yesterday.

I think that it is a good and usefull book. After reading the chapter on the  exchange variation I don't fear it anymore so I can prepare the SemiSlav for my next tournament starting at the end of April.

But reading the book I'havent found the sequence 1. d4 d5  2. c4 c6  3. Nc3.

If White plays 3.., Nf6  4. Nf3 is the normal Semi Slav.

But after others moves like 4. e3  or 4. Bg5?

true enough. 1. d4 d5  2. c4 c6  3. Nc3 Nf3 then 4.e3 e6 is a semi-slav. sure, 4.Bg5 is possible, but I did not have anything new to add over other books - Black is fine. I did beat a 2400+ player in this line with Black in 12 moves once...

IP Logged

Templare2

Mess with the best, die
like the rest

Reply #29 - 03/21/08 at 12:20:06
Post Tools
I received the book yesterday.

I think that it is a good and usefull book. After reading the chapter on the  exchange variation I don't fear it anymore so I can prepare the SemiSlav for my next tournament starting at the end of April.

But reading the book I'havent found the sequence 1. d4 d5  2. c4 c6  3. Nc3.

If White plays 3.., Nf6  4. Nf3 is the normal Semi Slav.

But after others moves like 4. e3  or 4. Bg5?

"Forza e onore!"

IP Logged

jessenicholasuscf
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 02/25/08 at 20:53:17
Post Tools
fluffy is this book geared for straight slav players or is just semi slav??? do you recomend it for  people in  my rating.  level?  Grin

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #27 - 02/22/08 at 14:10:59
Post Tools
Oh, for sure - I just wondered if you knew something I didn't!

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #26 - 02/22/08 at 13:59:12
Post Tools
JustinHorton

I did say steer, not force, and considering it is not the move order I give in the book, it would make little sense to spend time looking at deviations of a line I was not recommending.

d

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #25 - 02/22/08 at 13:32:58
Post Tools
When move orders would be main issue, nobody would be concerned with opening theory.

Just as in life, sidestepping has never been a main road!!!  Wink

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #24 - 02/22/08 at 09:34:33
Post Tools
The King wrote on 02/15/08 at 13:38:19:
For anyone interested there is now a pdf sample up on the Quality Chess website - 15 pages!

Here

A question or two. Discussing move-orders, David writes (page 7) of the "Nimzo" order, where White plays 3.Nf3 to evade that opening:

Quote:
4.Bg5 allows Black to steer the play towards the Moscow with 4...h6 or the Botvinnik with 4...dxc4

The Moscow, yes - unless White plays the Palliser-recommended 6.Nbd2 - but if 4...dxc4 how do we propose to reach the Botvinnik after 5.e4? (I can see that David's played and won at least one game with 5...b5, but that's not the Botvinnik.)

Meanwhle, talking of Semi-Slav books and move-order issues....

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #23 - 02/15/08 at 17:27:56
Post Tools
Unfortunately the book is for more weeks out in various chess stores in Europe.

Amazon has it not, believe me!

Sadly, but it's the truth, when you live outside main world you have to wait some time.

PS saubhik where are you, I sent you mail

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #22 - 02/15/08 at 14:15:19
Post Tools
The week in chess is an UK store. They would change big money for shipping. I tried and cancelled due to that.

Any other ideas ?

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #21 - 02/15/08 at 13:38:19
Post Tools
For anyone interested there is now a pdf sample up on the Quality Chess website - 15 pages!

IP Logged

dokusan
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 02/11/08 at 09:13:09
Post Tools
I ordered from The Week in Chess website, efficient as always, was sent immediately Smiley
just getting to grips with it - looks just as good as his nimzo book

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #19 - 02/11/08 at 00:01:21
Post Tools
Guys...where from you are buying this book ??? I am only seeing Pre-order (amazon) or out-of-stock (buy.com).

Souvik

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/10/08 at 07:49:21
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 02/09/08 at 14:31:36:
How do you read half a chess book in a day?  Huh

well ... by just reading it and playing through the games!?

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #17 - 02/09/08 at 14:31:36
Post Tools
Quote:
I received the book yesterday, and by now I read the half of it,
it is a really good book, I like it very much, also the chapter on the exchange does make me not fear it anymore, I will play the semi slav now as my main defence in a regional tourney starting in a week.

How do you read half a chess book in a day?  Huh

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/09/08 at 07:58:19
Post Tools
I received the book yesterday, and by now I read the half of it,
it is a really good book, I like it very much, also the chapter on the exchange does make me not fear it anymore, I will play the semi slav now as my main defence in a regional tourney starting in a week.

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #15 - 02/01/08 at 19:45:09
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 02/01/08 at 18:51:55:
Dave, why are people all saying that Shirov's DVDs show the Botvinnik is finally, finally, yet again, totally dead?

Haven't see the book yet.

unfortunately, I did not have access to Shirov's dvd. It was been dead more than once though (see Sicilian Dragon, Benko Gambit, etc). It is certainly risky (for White too), and that is why I covered the Moscow as well.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 02/01/08 at 18:51:55
Post Tools
Dave, why are people all saying that Shirov's DVDs show the Botvinnik is finally, finally, yet again, totally dead?

Haven't see the book yet.

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #13 - 02/01/08 at 17:32:01
Post Tools
cma6,

Khalifman's anaylysis on 19.Kxf1 is well covered. I think Black is okay here in more than one way. I also tried to shed some light on 19.Qd5 and its subsequent endgame, as well as the mysterious perpetual check (Topalov-Kramnik, and others) that White always plays...

IP Logged

cma6

Reply #12 - 02/01/08 at 14:36:14
Post Tools
fluffy wrote on 01/29/08 at 17:08:47:
the book is out - it's on TWIC. Of course the Moscow Gambit has seen a lot of developments, but it still has more on it than any other book and should serve as a useful compass for anyone taking up the line if they are willing to examine the recent games by top players. That's just the nature of the game when you cover an extremely topical line. Keep in mind, it also covers the Botvinnik variation (with a lot of original analysis), and not a whole lot has happened there recently.

Fluffy, you have answered the question I was about to ask: is there any original analysis on the Botvinnik Variation. I am definitely getting the book as soon as it's available on Amazon.
  Khalifman has done very will with his opening books, I think partly because of the amount of original and very good analysis. I know it takes courage for an author to do it, but I'm glad you went for it.
                         CMA

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #11 - 01/29/08 at 17:30:05
Post Tools
The book looks great from the generous PDF excerpt, though I think there are a couple of typos (the two references to 3...e6 at the top of the right-hand column of page 7 must mean 3...c6).  I'm still searching for the perfect 1.d4 opening as Black; maybe this will convince me.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Reply #10 - 01/29/08 at 17:29:05
Post Tools
I talked about Kramnik-Aronian with a GM on Sunday and he said the problem now is that all the variations of this line a very critical for black. But until the game Kramnik-Aronian black players always could say: "OK - everything is dangerous, but at least we have this "long" line from Radjabov-Anand". There was also a vague thought that Kramnik tried to attack Anands cornerstone-defence in view of the coming world championmatch in October - to give Anand some work to do. This somehow reminds me of the strategy Kasparov chose against Anand in 1995 when he suddenly played the Evans gambit and the Scotch against Anand - I remember Anand saying that he now has to look at all those "old" opening lines too. I think Kramnik-Aronian was a real "meta"-chess move from Kramnik.

@Fluffy: It would certainly be nice if you could give your thoughts about Kramnik-Aronian if this line is part of your book.

However - I am on my way buing it, cause you certainly put a lot of energy, research and ideas in this book. And deep inside I am a "Botvinnik"-line-fan but stopped playing ist some years ago - the feeling comes back  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #9 - 01/29/08 at 17:08:47
Post Tools
the book is out - it's on TWIC. Of course the Moscow Gambit has seen a lot of developments, but it still has more on it than any other book and should serve as a useful compass for anyone taking up the line if they are willing to examine the recent games by top players. That's just the nature of the game when you cover an extremely topical line. Keep in mind, it also covers the Botvinnik variation (with a lot of original analysis), and not a whole lot has happened there recently.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Reply #8 - 01/29/08 at 16:47:48
Post Tools
It will probably need an instant update due to Kramniks knight-move in the "long" Anti-Moscow-variation played recently in the Corus tournament against Arionian  Wink

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Reply #7 - 01/29/08 at 16:01:16
Post Tools
According to the Quality Chess website it is out.  There is a pdf sample on the website.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

ubiyca
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 01/24/08 at 06:10:35
Post Tools
Is there any pre-announced date for availability on Amazon? Or is it essentially only through the publisher at the moment?

vbhat.wordpress.com
IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #5 - 01/18/08 at 15:33:50
Post Tools
It's a repertoire book. 280 pages should be enough.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Reply #4 - 01/18/08 at 12:37:14
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 01/18/08 at 12:11:17:
280 pages, instead of 192? That's good news!

Still, for an opening as deeply theoretical as the Semi-Slav.....

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #3 - 01/18/08 at 12:11:17
Post Tools
280 pages, instead of 192? That's good news!

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #2 - 01/17/08 at 22:56:11
Post Tools
yes and yes. out at end of month and in USA end of February, hopefully. the exchange slav is quite a big chapter actually. also the is 280 pages. I am always getting in trouble for writing hefty tomes.

IP Logged

Beetlejuice

Be careful out there!

Reply #1 - 01/14/08 at 18:58:49
Post Tools
CrushingAttack wrote on 01/14/08 at 16:05:03:
Anyone who knows about the contents?
Does it also cover 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.cxd5 and 1.d4 c5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Qc2?

The answers to these three questions are Yes, Yes and Yes. Smiley

For further info look here:

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1182804626

especially reply #5 (and in case you shouldn't know: this reply and other posts are actually written by the author of the book).

IP Logged

CrushingAttack
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

"Play the Semi-Slav" will be out very soon
01/14/08 at 16:05:03
Post Tools
Hello everybody,

as I just read on the publisher's homepage Quality Chess, "Play The Semi-Slav" by IM Vigorito will be out in 2 weeks.

Anyone who knows about the contents?
Does it also cover 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.cxd5 and 1.d4 c5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Qc2?

See you,
"Crushing Attack"

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo